Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How wearing darker clothing may affect your performance.
Quote | Reply
At least within the tropics it seems that white or some particular lighter color can be a better choice than darker colors.

A decision was made to change the uniform colors of our kid's triathlon team. I suggested to design one with as much white as possible because here in Mexico (and in Hawaii I guess) the sun can raise the surface temperature of darker colored clothing more than lighter colored clothing. They asked for proof of this and I asked my maintenance chief to lend me his infrared thermometer.

I placed a piece of "Lycra" (actual brand or blend unknown) of different colors stapled on cardboards on the roof of my house for 5 minutes and took readings.

The readings for each color in °C were:

White: 39.1

Neon Pink: 40.9

Neon Orange: 41.0

Royal Blue: 42.6

Neon Lime: 43.3

Yellow: 43.5

Turquoise: 44.8

Red:45.6

Dark Blue: 49.4

Black: 49.5

As you can see the difference between the white and black "Lycra" type clothing was a little bit more than 10 °C (more precisely 18.7 °F)

Just as a reference the average "normal" body temperature for humans is 37 °C. In practice a person with just 3 °C over his normal temperature is considered to have a high grade fever.

I remember Matt Reed complaining about how the "hot" weather affected his performance when he competed in an ITU World Cup here in our home town Mazatlan. For my kids who raced in the same event, born and raised in Mazatlan's tropical weather it was actually great weather and even a little cold in the morning. I guess that for the particular conditioning of Reed, he could have ran a little bit cooler (and probably perform better) in a white outfit instead of a red one.

Because we have kids as small as 8 year old in the team, the skinsuits have to be custom made for them. If someone has a "Lycra® Power™" fabric purveyor I will appreciate if the contact can be shared.

Best wishes,

Sergio Escutia

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: How wearing darker clothing may affect your performance. [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone that actually remembers the course on Radiation they took in college, not me, will soon post telling you that what you used is not a good way to measure surface temperature.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: How wearing darker clothing may affect your performance. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm that guy...

I would have used an infrared thermometer as well. We use them in my line of work occasionally. It's really the only way to measure surface temp... (well, that i know of)

Measure the wavelength, measure the temp.
Quote Reply
Re: How wearing darker clothing may affect your performance. [Nipsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still remember what emissivity is, do you?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: How wearing darker clothing may affect your performance. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emiss a lot after a linguica sandwich.

Quote | Reply
SAC... I am aware that the test will not pass a peer review as an article for a scientific journal, but I am pretty sure that dark clothing will be hotter at the surface than lighter colored clothing under a sun in the tropics.

I have also measured in summer the interior of a closed white and a black car, not with an IR thermometer but with a lab mercury thermometer. The temperature inside the black car was more than 10 °C higher. You will probably not find as much difference in higher latitudes but black cars sure get hotter than white ones under a bright sun in within the tropics.

Sergio

Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know...

no, i don't.

We've discussed this in the field after installing instruments that measure surface temperature. none of the field techs could remember, me included...

shameful, really.
Quote Reply
Re: How wearing darker clothing may affect your performance. [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this was old news? I often wonder why people wear dark colors in triathlons. What about metallics, would they reflect the heat?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "coolest colours" (white pink and orange) look like the team colours of the all gay Tri Team

Not that there is anything wrong with that.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, shit, man... I was wearing a red and black shirt in Kona. It got me thinking and I bought a white shirt for cheap the day before the race but then ruled it out. Dang.

Could you do the same experiment but with the "lycra" damped with water? (I remember having this *dark* heavy fabric water container that let a bit of the water go through: the increased evaporation would cool the water inside.) I am curious because until last year, Peter Reid was racing with a more or less black outfit.

Cheers,
Alex

---
First with the head, then with the heart. -- HG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the lighter colors one will either need thicker material or more layers unless one wants to expose oneself to everyone else, somewhat mitigating any advantage gained from more energy being reflected.
Last edited by: SWoo: Oct 18, 05 20:31
Quote Reply
Re: How wearing darker clothing may affect your performance. [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also interested in measuring metallic colors but I have not been able to get a fabric sample here in Mexico.

I would never wear pink. I wonder why T-Mobile took that decision. Maybe Vino is too aggressive for that "soft" color and used his National Champion colors to evade wearing pink.

Peter Reid et al. can probably wear dark colored clothing without being seriously handicapped because most ITU and IM events take place in temperate latitudes.

I agree that wearing white below the waist has its implications. A good compromise is a suit like the one my 12 year old son (below) has been wearing lately. It is still too translucent on top for the girls though.

Sergio

Last edited by: Sergio Escutia: May 6, 11 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> Peter Reid et al. can probably wear dark colored clothing
> without being seriously handicapped because most ITU
> and IM events take place in temperate latitudes.
Well. I was talking about his Kona trisuits of the past years. As for the others: white seems indeed to be prevalent.

Alex

---
First with the head, then with the heart. -- HG
Last edited by: lxrchtt: Oct 18, 05 22:43
Quote Reply