Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Daejeon, Korea
Quote | Reply
I may be finishing up the research for my PhD dissertation in Korea over the next 6 months. Anyone out there in Slowtwitchia from the area and have any advice on the culture or training possibilities? I'm signed up for IM Arizona in April so that might be out of the question unless I take my bike and find a place to swim. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Daejeon, Korea [DC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived there for a year. Running and swimming were easy, there is a long trail that runs along the river that goes by the Expo area within the city. Also several "mountains" surrounding the area with good trails on them, great for hill workouts. Swimming was big in the neighborhood that I lived in. There was a pool with lots of lap lanes within walking distance of my place. I never went cycling while I lived there (was only running marathons at the time, not training for IM's) but the traffic in the city is crazy. I'm not sure what it would be like outside the city. There are some marathon clubs in the area, you may be able to find a tri club.

-b
Quote Reply
Re: Daejeon, Korea [br] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info
Quote Reply
Re: Daejeon, Korea [DC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi DC,

I live in Daegu just down the road a bit. Daejon is a beautiful area. Like the poster above mentioned, swimming and running will not be a problem. While the drivers are a bit crazy, they are used to seeing pedestrians on and near the roads. There are many swimming facilities available, even some 24hr ones. Cycling in the countryside is great and very hilly. Cycling in the city itself is probably best reserved for early morning before the local traffic gets moving. You will also find as many race opportunities as you could want in the 5k-marathon distances. There are even pretty regular triathlons offered if you can find a Korean friend to keep you notified and communicate with the registration people. When you get over here, send me a PM and I'll share whatever info I have.

David
Quote Reply
Re: Daejeon, Korea [armychemguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome. thanks armychemguy.
Quote Reply