Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cushioned shoes recommendations?
Quote | Reply
Help! I went to the store yesterday to try to replace my beloved Sauconys, only to not know what model they were, since there was (surprise) an updated model. So...I tried several other models, the Gel-Nimbus, which I used to love till they changed it in '04, a brooks shoe, and a gel cumulus. I finally settled on the Cumulus, which was in a narrow. Well, started out on a short run today and had to limp back, as that my right foot ended up feeling contorted (yes, I was at a running store!).

I'm looking for a cushioned shoe with some support, especially through the heel and midfoot (I don't like to feel wobbly, although I am neutral and use orthotics, I like a little something-something in the shoe), and narrow enough so that my laces disappear.

any ideas??? I pray that they will take them back, but doubt it, and I really am trying to make sure I don't reinjure myself with a "bad" shoe. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: cushioned shoes recommendations? [turtlegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently use ASICS Kayano Gels and New Balance W890.

I like the Gels because they give more support but I like the feedback from New Balance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shoes narrow so your laces disappear? I'm failing to understand what you're getting at. You are looking for a cushioned shoe that has stability? First of all, categorize your shoe needs by these things first 1. motion control 2. stability 3. Neutral or 4. lightweight trainer THEN go on to whether or not you want a highly cushioned shoe out of those 4 categories. Often there is a misconception that cushioned and neutral are one and the same. If you are looking for a neutral shoe that does offer some stability, you would look at the mizuno wave rider. Their wave plate would offer you a bit of that. Hope that helps.

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: cushioned shoes recommendations? [Tribee2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the reply...

by the shoelace comment, I meant that I end up usually pulling them so tightly that both sides touch almost.. I don't normally wear a narrow shoe, so i don't think that was the answer, but it seems that a lot of shoes just are too wide, so it feels like I'm swimming in them, if you know what I mean.

I do love how Mizunos fit...are the new ones more cushioned? There just seemed to be a tremendous diference in the amount of cushioning between the Nimbus/Cumulus and the Wave Rider/Creation...not that one is better than the other. I had a failed experiment with Adidas Supernova Cushion a couple of years ago...they felt great in the store, but not after 5 miles! I don't run long distances or high mileage, due to being injury prone. However, I've always kind of suspected that if I found the "right' shoe, maybe I'd get to be there again!

as I did mention, I do have orthotics, so I don't really have much movement side to side, but maybe the need to have my laces tighter indicates that I want more stability? I don't know...so that's why I appreciate the info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super tight laces might mean that your shoe width may not be correct?

The W890 has N-Laces that keep tight even during long runs. They keep the arch area tight to provide enough control during runs without constricting your toes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, i had just posted on my girlfriend's name Tribee2, but....

Pulling your laces that tight and changing the dynamics of the shoe...Those shoes are not fitting you correctly. Have someone measure your width and see where you fit. If you are not a 2a width, then maybe you just have a low arch, meaning your instep would be lower, necessitating you to pull those laces really tight. Go to a reputable running store and ask them these questions. They should have no problem spending time with you to find the right shoe. 45 min-60 minutes at the store would not be asking much of them. You should be trying on 4-5 pairs of shoes, one on each foot and comparing and narrowing down. At the end, you should have the best fitting shoe. Try it, see how it works.

Eric
Quote Reply