Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tour de France Trips?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for some recommendations for companies that do a good Tour de France trip. I want cycling on the route with ex-pros who know how it works.
Thanks!!

P.S. I have boobs.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Trips? [trojet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.granfondocyclingtours.com/Contact.htm

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.velovacations.com - VeloSport - performance oriented trips with some big miles. Usually has Kevin Livingston on some trips.

www.bikestyletours.com - run by Aussie cyclists but caters to Americans more often then not. Has Patrick Jonker some times

www.trektravel.com - Travel arm of Trek & has one or two ex-pro cyclists per week (Kevin Livingston & Jonathan Vaughters) - has high priced Discovery Team behind the scenes trip.

http://www.tourdefrance.com.au/tdf-pas-2005.asp - Phil Anderson's tour group. He is a former pro Aussie cyclist and first non-eurpean to wear the yellow yersey

http://www.stevebauer.com/index2.cfm - Steve Bauer (also former Yellow jersey wearer) runs his own tour company speicalizing in Grand Tours.

these are probably the best that include former Pros - but there are at least 10 other good companies that also run trip to the tour depending on what you want (easy riding, high performance, cultural as well as Tour etc...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
definitely Bikestyle.

I went with them this year on the 16 day trip through the Alps and Pyrenees to Paris.

Pat Jonker who was 12th in the TDF in '96 I think, was one of our guides. We had quite a few enjoyable dinners at restaurants around the towns with Pat providing some insights into the pro life. Pat also works for a couple of other tour companies but he commented that Bikestyle do more hard core cycling than the others that he is with. That being said they also offer shorter, easier rides each day and cater for non-cyclists as well.

I think Neil Stephens(former Festina rider) may be a partner in the business with Lawrie and Natalie Cranley. Neil was involved with Liberty Segeuros on the tour and arranged to visit their team hotel and a few other little perks.

I'm from Oz and it was probably a pretty even mix of Aussies and Americans across a fair age range.

Met some great people and had a really good time. The only negative was sometimes there was a fair amount of bus time travelling between stages. On the flip side of that we saw heaps of countryside and it was quite magical standing on top of Alpe D'Huez and Mont Ventoux after riding them looking out at the view.

Great trip and very probably I will be lining up again next year. They normally release details of their trips not long after the TDF announces the tour route.

cheers

shep
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France Trips? [shep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The route is announced on the 27th of this year. Most companies will have something on their website within a few days, but release their actual itineraries and prices 3 to 4 weeks after the route announcement.
Quote Reply