Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: Parents - Do you let your kids
Quote | Reply
make mud pies and play in the dirt? Just wondering if that's a thing of the past or do parents still let their kids get plenty dirty playing outside. I do - have to strip them down before letting them in the house and just curious if I'm the only wacko mom out there.

"Life is pain, get used to it."
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Parents - Do you let your kids [Pumpkin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not just kids only...heck me too!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I let my daughter play in the dirt to a certain degree (like she's dressed for it). Her mother does not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I let my 3 kids go skim boarding in the back yard during hurricane Katrina, but only if they gave me a turn ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dirtier the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. I try and let my kid be a kid. They areonly young once.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Parents - Do you let your kids [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> They are only young once.

..and that does not even last very long. I let them do plenty of that, but there are so many more cars on the streets, there is no way I am letting them roam the 'hood on their bikes like I did.... sad.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Parents - Do you let your kids [Thierry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK call me a bad parent, but my son is out doing exactly that right now - bombing around the neighbour hood on his bike with his friends while I get dinner ready/answer-emails.

Fleck

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Parents - Do you let your kids [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> bombing around the neighbourhood

Sounds great!

... gotta move! (grew up in Brussels, a block from Eddy, had a TdF TT go by and a stage finish about a mile away, now in LaLaLand...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think it's criminal not to. Kids need to be kids and play like they don't have a care in the world. Too soon they lose innocence...

My lil guy is scrapping around on teh floor with his Hot Wheels right now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! In fact, we have an entire set of kitchen utensils purchased from Salvation Army that are devoted to the entire culinary speciality of mud and dirt.

We have a hose outside to do triage clean-ups and then a fingernail brush in the girls' bathroom for the finishing touches.

This kind of play teaches so much more than just playing kitchen; they have measuring cups and spoons, different sized containers to learn about estimating capacities, place settings (fork on the left), soil types i.e. cohesive vs. sandy, plus loads of other stuff I can't think of.

Plus, one thing that really bugs me and my wife are girls that won't get dirty. Who are you gonna count on when stuff goes wrong- a gal that knows how to mix it up and doesn't mind a little blood sweat and tears or a primadonna that faints at the sight of a bug? How else are they gonna learn to have fun outdoors?

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I let her? I couldn't stop her. Her nickname is princess dirtball. It builds the immune system. I try to buy her dark/patterned clothing to hide the stains...kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
make mud pies and play in the dirt? Just wondering if that's a thing of the past or do parents still let their kids get plenty dirty playing outside. I do - have to strip them down before letting them in the house and just curious if I'm the only wacko mom out there.
Absolutely and I join them sometimes, but in the process I have found that we have some toxic mud here because the stuff doesn't come out of our clothing.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: IronDad: Oct 13, 05 17:25
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Parents - Do you let your kids [Thierry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well we are lucky were we are situated. It's a quiet street and the little neighbourhood is surrounded by a big park. Walk any direction from the house and you will get to the park. The kids on our street are out running around, riding bikes and playing in the park after school every day. Although it's starting to get dark much earlier now.

Fleck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's genetic. They called me pigpen when I was a kid. I used to sit in the dirt, take handfuls and pour them over my head. This summer the kid was playing in the yard, discovered the garden, started making furrows by pushing his hands thru the dirt. Stopped, sat down, picked up handfulls of dirt and poured them over his head.

He also had a similar experiance with his first birthday cake.

~Matt
Quote Reply