Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Single Speed at IMFlorida
Quote | Reply
I just finished my last long ride before IMFlorida and noticed that I rarely changed gears on the ride. It was subconcious, but seemed to work. During the ride, my cadence dropped as low as 70rpm, as high as 120rpm. One thing surprised me, I was 15 minutes faster than my best time over the same 150km course. Now I'm thinking that a SS would be fun to try out over and IM course, Florida seems to be a good candidate. Anybody else ever race a SS over that distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [mike_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if there were strong winds?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, obviously, my time would suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know that dude that's ridden the penticton course on a fixie and raced very well at canadian long-course champs on a single-speed surly this year.

i say go for it - the style points are huge.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could save weight and only build your rear cassette with 2-3 cogs.

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [leezee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um, that would make it a double-speed, and not nearly as cool. I was thinking style points - do the race on a SS, grow some huge ZZ-Top beard for the race, and run in Chuck Taylors.
Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [leezee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what i was thinking. 2 to 3 cogs on the cassette and just a big ring in the front, save by taking the front deraileur and small ring off. Of course weight on a flat course is usually not an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horner did the worlds tt on a fixed gear. I assume you mean fixed gear, as opposed to single speed. No reason it wouldn't work, if you could figure out the gear inch. Just do a lot of training on it first.

For those of you keeping track at home, "fixed gear"= "cool". "single speed"="commuter for those who lost their liscense to dui". Dont ask me why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dewey Beach
Last edited by: randymar: Oct 13, 05 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [nigilred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For those of you keeping track at home, "fixed gear"= "cool". "single speed"="commuter for those who lost their liscense to dui". Dont ask me why.

I think Marla and Brian would disagree about the second part

Oh, and this guy ... I think his name is Keith Bontrager ...

Why is he running with a bicycle helmet on??? Well, because it was a LeMans start and the bikes were like a mile away!!! Thanks for asking.
Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [nigilred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Horner did the worlds tt on a fixed gear. I assume you mean fixed gear, as opposed to single speed. No reason it wouldn't work, if you could figure out the gear inch. Just do a lot of training on it first.

For those of you keeping track at home, "fixed gear"= "cool". "single speed"="commuter for those who lost their liscense to dui". Dont ask me why.[/reply]

if you're putting it together yourself, there are a lot of flip-flop hubs available, some of which can be set up as fixed gear on one side & single speed on the other. i don't know if that counts as "cool" or not. i'm guessing not... but if you're doing 114 miles on it and get tired of not being able to coast, you could hop off & flip the whole thing around.

no way i'd do an IM on a fixie unless I'd logged a lot of miles on it already, & a few bricks as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I knew a guy who had a bike without a small chainring because all he did was ride the big ring. In 1995 he did Kona and it was one of the windiest days in history and his smallest gear ratio was 53x21. Needless to say his race was much harder than he expected.
Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you take off the small ring and front der you are going to be real slow... You will have to stop and put your chain back on if you hit any bumps. I know some one who thought he was sweet and tried that. It was not good.

If you want to go down that path either do a SS or FG, don't tear down your racing bike.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think fixed gears take too much out of your legs over an IM distance. I don't think a single speed with freewheel would be that unreasonable in FL. I think the Chucks would be a lot tougher. That would be a fun way to race Fl on a ss. Probably a 52/15 ish would be a pretty good gear to start
Quote Reply
Re: Single Speed at IMFlorida [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their are front chainrings designed for non shifting, basically they have taller teeth and no ramps.

Styrrell
Quote Reply