Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prescription sunglasses? Anyone use 'em?
Quote | Reply
I'm getting sick and tired of putting in my shitty contacts and am considering buying prescription shades. Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts? I may be able to get a deal on smith glasses, which i used in the past and loved.

Nipsy
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription sunglasses? Anyone use 'em? [Nipsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear Rudy Project Kerosene glasses with a prescription insert.

Love 'em.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene. I use clip in prescription which allows me to change the lenses. I mostly use the dark polarized for sunny days or rose for cloudy days. The Kerosene give good coverage from the wind.

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear presciption sunglasses from Rudy Project that I bought through Rx-Spex. Very nice. I think they are the Graal model if memory serves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a pair of Nike's and love em. Great lightweight wrap around frame. I've been training in the for the last 3 years.
Last edited by: IronMangina: Oct 13, 05 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription sunglasses? Anyone use 'em? [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it still possible with those to swap in a non-prescription lens? My thought being that i would wear my contacts for the swim and use the non prescription glasses while i'm on the bike leg, but on days that i only ride my bike i could wear the prescription shades...
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription sunglasses? Anyone use 'em? [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any problems with the inserts fogging?

jimmyk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the frame and if your optomitrist is willing to do it. But in general, they won't on wrap around style frames, but will on regular shaped frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nipsy

i have used the Bolle Vigilante and they do a very good job, and the replacment lens's don't coast you an arm and a leg.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/...9,443&TextMode=0

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/...9,441&TextMode=0

take a look

Dan...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is it still possible with those to swap in a non-prescription lens?

Oops. I didn't explain that very well. Sorry. These glasses have interchangeable tinted lenses, then they have a prescription insert that snaps in behind it. The tinted lens performs no optical correction--it only filters colors (and some are polarized) I have the polarized grey and racing red lenses. They also have other colors available, as well as clear. These snap in and out to address different light conditions. They also optionally open a little vent so they don't steam up. I use the grey lenses most of the time, and the red ones for most races, and lower light conditions. The prescription snap-in sits behind the tinted lens, and it's use is completely optional. Does that make sense?

This may help explain it better...

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/.../styles/kerosene.htm[/quote]My thought being that i would wear my contacts for the swim and use the non prescription glasses while i'm on the bike leg, but on days that i only ride my bike i could wear the prescription shades...[/quote]

You could do that quite easily, if that's what you want.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Oakley Half Jackets that were originally prescription. I liked them. Nice fit, stayed in place. Two weeks ago I started wearing contacts, so I ordered replacement lenses (non-prescription). A bit of a pain to snap in (took like 15 minutes, really had to torque them, afraid I was going to break one).

Not sure I'd want to swap the lenses too often. The cost of the non-prescription lenses were about half of the cost of a whole pair (frame and lenses). Not sure if I'll ever use the prescription ones again, but if someone was going to go with the Half Jacket and use both a lot I would probably recommend two separate pairs.

As a new contact wearer, I'm curious. What don't you like about them? I like not having to worry about rain/fogging with the contacts, although I rubbed sweat out of my eye on a recent run and the contact came out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two pair of custom Sergio Tacchini sunglasses. They are pretty much normal sunglass frames from the optical shop that I had them put tinted lenses into. They eye doc is also a cyclist - he moved the optical point of the lens about .5cm high - that way I get perfect vision looking out the top of the glasses when I am on the bike....sweet. Plus I dont have the dorky and heavy double lens issues.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription sunglasses? Anyone use 'em? [jimmyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do you have any problems with the inserts fogging?

No, not if I'm moving.

Sometimes, I'll get brief minor fogging on the bike when I stop, but as soon as I move again, they clear up right away. I leave the vents open all the time.

But I also live in San Diego, and it's usually pretty dry here. They may behave differently in Seattle, or Chicago, or someplace where they use umbrellas for more than a week a year. ;-)

---

Quote Reply
Re: Prescription sunglasses? Anyone use 'em? [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What i don't like about mine is that they're old and make my eyes hurt, and plus i would much rather just put on a pair of shades than put in my contacts so i can wear shades.

There was a time, and i'm not sure why it changed, that i could wear my contacts twelve hours a day without even noticing they were there. However, i seem to be in the minority.

Nipsy
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription sunglasses? Anyone use 'em? [IronMangina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Depends on the frame and if your optomitrist is willing to do it. But in general, they won't on wrap around style frames, but will on regular shaped frames.[/reply]

these guys will do wrap-around frames, for all prescriptions, even my blind-as-a-bat -7.0 R eye:

http://www.rx-spex.com/home/index.html
http://www.heavyglare.com/prescription_sunglasses.php

I've ordered from rx-spex, the lenses are perfect. I'm not crazy about the Zeal frames, but they are OK.

The Bolle AttackII glasses with insert that I'm currently using aren't great. There are fogging issues with the 4 lens surfaces, and the Bolle design is poor for inserts.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oakley Juliets are my prescription sunglasses.

http://oakley.com/o/o1274d

---Politics = Poli (many) Ticks (blood sucking ectoparasites)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seen these? http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/...ullstory&id=2963

I've always wanted to try 'em... but part of me is like... what do you when you want to take them off? Be blind?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the Oakley Half Jackets. The lenses are changeable but as TriAlbany mentioned this is mainly a theoretical benefit. You might be able to substitute lens changing for a gym workout here and there. So you'd have that going for you.

This is my third pair of prescription Oakleys and I would not wear anything else. Wide field of vision and exceptionally clear grind throughout the range. I have also had Oakley Fives and Scar. All are great but the Fives' hinges start getting floppy after a year or two and can't be tightened. Insert-based designs are OK if you only look straight ahead.

Downside is that prescription Oakleys are pretty expensive - $300+. The metal ones (Romeo, Juliet) can run $500 and up.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription sunglasses? Anyone use 'em? [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One particular issue with contacts is that they are incompatible with leaky (or absent) swim goggles. So if you're in the 1st 100M of an IM swim and somebody kicks your goggles off you may well lose a contact. That makes for a long rest of the day. So prescription sunglasses for racing are a particularly good idea. Don't throw away those prescription half jacket lenses!
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription sunglasses? Anyone use 'em? [Crono] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. Graals from Rudy Project. No inserts. Bifocal RX right in the main lenses. Very cool.
Quote Reply