Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox?
Quote | Reply
Both being great role models… Who is the better role model: Terry Fox or Lance Armstrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [Cassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
terry fox. i'm sick of the other guy....too much hype.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer Red Fox actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [Tman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol! "ya big dummie, lamont!!!" (in that classic gravelly redd foxx voice)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is Terry Fox?

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terry, no bloody contest.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No contest - Terry Fox.

I'm pretty sure that 25 years after Lance dies, there won't be front page articles in every Canadian paper about him (OK, well, Lance isn't Canadian, but anyway...) or massive amounts of fundraising in his name. In Canada school children are taught Terry's name.

Lance is a great athlete, no question. But 146 marathons on consecutive days, on one leg, the last 30 or so with a huge recurrent tumour in his lungs, all to raise money for cancer research - Terry was an icon. I just have to look at those black and white pictures of him running, and I get the chills.

If you don't know who he was (and I assume that it's mostly Canadians that would, so only a small portion of the folks on this forum) have a look at the wikipedia link above. He makes it onto most of our "why I'm proud to be Canadian" lists.

Deke
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, Terry started and Steve Fonyo got the job done - do we include him a)over b) at par c) beneath the other 2?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Terry....no comparison.

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you wish me to choose? Both men (and a world of people more) have merit. It seems to me if we force ourselves to choose "better" or "best", "worse" or "worst" in subjective matters we limit ourselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are they at odds ? is that what mr fox would like you to do ? you should just raise some money for cancer.

Thom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you honestly don't know, do a google search and be amazed.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Contest. Terry Fox.

Watch the CBC: Life and Times show on Terry Fox. It's a must see.

I still remember our class, when I was a kid in Nova Scotia, driving out in a school bus to watch Terry run buy. Looking back now one of the greatest experiences of my life.

http://www.cbc.ca/...yfox/television.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an American this is a no brainer. As a cancer survivor who is actually meeting Lance next week, twice, and riding with him!, it's even more obvious that my answer would be Lance.

But I saw an ESPN story on Terry Fox, and I was shaking at the end of it, I was so inspired by what he did.

The cancer community is a lot like the Ironman community. Sure, we have our flagbearers, but every story is amazing and inspiring, and proof that our capacity to achieve greatness is often limitless. These guys are both heroes to me, and other cancer survivors...to everyone, actually.

mikey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i believe HBO made a move (a long time ago) called the terry fox story. very inspiring.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [Tman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He spells it: Redd Foxx
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every yr..in all canadian embassies in the world, they hold a terry fox run and entry fee is a donation for cancer research and they serve the best bagels :) even saw his movi way back when i hated running inspiring

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [bilmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, he doesn't spell it at all: he's dead. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marc Herremans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apples and oranges really.

Terry died, but his spirit, energy and love live on. Lance lived. He beat cancer with the help of modern medicine and chemotherapy. If I am to read the messanging right, Lance IS a HUGE inspiration to those who are stricken with cancer - that they should not give up and quite that they should battle on and try and beat it.

Interesting aside, that I heard on a radio discussion back in the summer on this very topic - it being the 25th anniversyof Terry's Marathon of Hope and Lance's 7th and final Tour de France win. Had Terry come down with the same type of cancer in the last 10 years, he very well may have lived. The diagnostics are much better now as is the treatment. Not that, that should change the important legacy that Terry repersents, just that medicine does advance and Lance may have had something to do with that with the fund raising that he has done.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Armstrong or Terry Fox? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another interesting tidbit on the latest Terry Fox made for tv movie..all the scenes that show him running (from a distance with his prosthetic leg) were done by a triathlete. Hamilton native (and world AWAD tri champion) Grant Darby. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and a stellar athlete to boot. He had to shave (he looks very different without his mustache) and cut his hair for the role..almost didn't recognize him when he finally came out to race late in the season. Both Lance and Terry are worthy of mention...I've never met either so...so my vote goes to Grant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my books it would be Terry...not to say that Lance hasn't done great things....but put Lance in the same time/year and training [none in Terry's case] and see if the results would be the same....

For me, anyone who has to battle cancer, win or loose is a hero......
Quote Reply