Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Better to run before or after lifting weights?
Quote | Reply
When I ran cross country in high school, I was told to lift weight (legs) after our runs - other than being warmed up, I was told that, while both running and lifting causes micro-tears in the muscle, the effect of running after lifting could put us at risk of injury - mostly from the constant impact of running, not simply from exercising afterwards - apparently cycling didn't cause the same potential harm.

While it's been 15 or so years since high school, I've been following the same routine, but recently, I've talked to some folks who lift weights for their legs first and then run afterwards - they like the brick-like feeling.

So, from the perspective of the physical impact to your muscles, as well overall benefits, any thoughts on whether it's best to run before or after lifting? And if one is better to do before the other, any sense of what type of time break is sufficient to minimize the chance of injury?

Thx.

-Babak
Quote Reply
Re: Better to run before or after lifting weights? [140.6miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Bicycling mag this month (or last) they reported a study that showed my energy usage (If I recall) when the weights were done after, compared to wieghts before. I dod not look up the study.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't lift legs much, but I always used to swear by cardio first then lifting. My brother used to tell me I was wrong and I refused to believe him. After a lot of reading it turns out lifting in general should be done first then cardio. The chances of injury are no greate plus there is a great muscular benefit and you burn more calories as well.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Better to run before or after lifting weights? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why lift, run 60-70 a week and swim 28000 a week and you'll be fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
without a doubt, run first weighhts second for all the reasons you mentioned...good warmup and running after doing leg weights is generally jacking up your odds of injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Standard answer to this question usually is "what is your focus"? If you're focusing on weight training and becoming a better weightlifter, then lift first. If you're trying to improve your running, do that first and follow with the weights.

Physiologically it would seem easier as well. Do a hard lifting session and then run...there, how does that feel? Like you have someone else's legs? Run first and then lift, not quite as much difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Better to run before or after lifting weights? [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does lifting do? It breaks down your muscle fibers. Running after you lift would not be the best idea in the world.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you REALLY have to lift weights, run before.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Better to run before or after lifting weights? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run first, lift after...that is the way

-Vlad

-Vlad
------------------------------------------------------
The best kind of pain is always self-inflicted...
Quote Reply
Re: Better to run before or after lifting weights? [Vlad_the_Bad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you realted to Vlad the IMPALER?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Better to run before or after lifting weights? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you realted to Vlad the IMPALER?
Last time I checked (rode-by his main castle, in Bran - Romania) his relatives were still here... vs. Maryland/Northern Virginia (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=549265) ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lifted an then ran for almost 20 years. I don't do it that often, maybe twice a month (sometimes twice a year). I don't do a full/hard weight work out or run fast or long. Generally, I do a strength maintanance set and a 4 to 6 mile easy run. Warm up before lifting. I think it helps physically and mentally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run first because when I lift I get really big, and I don't want to carry all that extra weight ...

Huh???

Really???

Never mind.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skip the run, just lift.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lift on your off (non-run)/easy day.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got it right. Run first then lift. You have a higher risk of injury if you lift first because your will muscles will be exhusted. Also running on tired legs will interfere with your running form/skill. Skill training first then strength training.
Quote Reply