Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boy,9, swims Alcatraz to shore
Quote | Reply
http://www.cnn.com/...catraz.ap/index.html

He did the 1.4 mile swim in under 2 hours. I guess those guys that escaped the prision just might be out there somewhere.

Tom

found another one:

from AP August 2, 2005: SAN FRANCISCO - One of the swimmers in this weekend’s Alcatraz Invitational swim has dog paddled his way into the record book.

Jake is a 65-pound golden retriever and the only non-human in the tenth annual 1.2 mile swim from the infamous prison island to the San Francisco shore. The four-year-old pooch swam across the cold, choppy water in just under 42 minutes, finishing 72nd out of the more than 500 swimmers. Organizers say it was the first known crossing by a dog.

The crowd cheered as Jake made his way onto solid ground, shook himself and dodged a woman who tried to put a medal around his neck.
Last edited by: tomd: Oct 12, 05 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Boy,9, swims Alcatraz to shore [tomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI...may not be many posts, there was a thread on the boy the other day...turned into a "pushy parents" debate (thread tiltle something like "Did he jump or was he pushed"). A thread on the dog awhile back.
Quote Reply
Re: Boy,9, swims Alcatraz to shore [tomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BFD. There are thousands, probably tens of thousands, of young swimmers who could handle this swim and do it much faster than this kid. Kudos for him for raising $$ for Katrina, though.

I ran a 3:40 marathon at age 9. 36 minute 10K at age 11. Pre-pubescent children actually have large, fully developed hearts compared to the size of the rest of their body, and so can perform very well at endurance events that do not require extensive muscle or power output. Pre-pubescent girls do not have the breasts and hips and increased body fat that are a hindrance to elite runners. I don't know what the current age group record is for 11 year olds, but back in '82 I had the records for 5 mile (28:30s) and 10K 36:09. I used to get a newsletter every few month from ?? (USATF ?) that had a hand-written number on the envelope for how many records you owned. It was 2 for awhile, then went to 1, then I stopped receiving the newsletters altogether. I never did find out who beat my times and by how much. No internet back then. I'd be curious to know what the current records are, my bet is low 33s, maybe even lower. Back in that summer of '82 I ran multiple races in the 36s and my PR was on a track, so my time of 36:09 was legit.

Other impressive feats of endurance by young athletes that I have personally involvement with:
  • My brother at age 13 ran 10K in under 33.
  • Female classmate in 8th grade (age 12/13) ran a 2:09 800m and 4:54 1600. She remained fast through high school and got a full ride to a Big 10 school, but I don't think she ever beat her 8th grade PRs after her body started developing.
Quote Reply
Re: Boy,9, swims Alcatraz to shore [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
BFD. There are thousands, probably tens of thousands, of young swimmers who could handle this swim and do it much faster than this kid. Kudos for him for raising $$ for Katrina, though.

I ran a 3:40 marathon at age 9. 36 minute 10K at age 11. Pre-pubescent children actually have large, fully developed hearts compared to the size of the rest of their body, and so can perform very well at endurance events that do not require extensive muscle or power output. Pre-pubescent girls do not have the breasts and hips and increased body fat that are a hindrance to elite runners. I don't know what the current age group record is for 11 year olds, but back in '82 I had the records for 5 mile (28:30s) and 10K 36:09. I used to get a newsletter every few month from ?? (USATF ?) that had a hand-written number on the envelope for how many records you owned. It was 2 for awhile, then went to 1, then I stopped receiving the newsletters altogether. I never did find out who beat my times and by how much. No internet back then. I'd be curious to know what the current records are, my bet is low 33s, maybe even lower. Back in that summer of '82 I ran multiple races in the 36s and my PR was on a track, so my time of 36:09 was legit.

Other impressive feats of endurance by young athletes that I have personally involvement with:
  • My brother at age 13 ran 10K in under 33.
  • Female classmate in 8th grade (age 12/13) ran a 2:09 800m and 4:54 1600. She remained fast through high school and got a full ride to a Big 10 school, but I don't think she ever beat her 8th grade PRs after her body started developing.

Marathon at 9, that's disturbing and the speed is even more so since it indicates the large amount of training you did (although I'm sure you'll come back and post how little miles you put on your developing little 8 and 9 year old body).

About "Pre-pubescent children actually have large, fully developed hearts compared to the size of the rest of their body, and so can perform very well at endurance events that do not require extensive muscle or power output. Pre-pubescent girls do not have the breasts and hips and increased body fat that are a hindrance to elite runners." Wow, you're mislead.
Quote Reply
Re: Boy,9, swims Alcatraz to shore [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it disturbing? Is it somehow more disturbing than the thousands of even younger kids who are training very seriously at swimming or tennis or gymnastics? Would I have been better off to spend my time playing Atari or Colecovision? If your answer is because of the damage done to my developing body, I can only answer with the empirical evidence of my injury history. I am 34, approaching 30 years as a runner. I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs, not exactly a runner's build, and still reasonably fast so I wouldn't just call myself a recreational runner. I have never had a running injury, with the exception of some shin splints during my intense running years in college, and a bout of ITB syndrome 2 summers ago. I may just be lucky, but it's hard to claim running as a child damaged my body. I don't know how many miles I've logged in my life, maybe 40,000?

Regarding mileage at that age, I don't really recall. I was 9. It was 1980 and the start of the running boom. I just ran with my dad. We'd been doing local weekend 5Ks and 10Ks for a few years. I'm pretty certain we never went more than 16 miles before the marathon, but I could be wrong. Certainly I didn't do the kind of mileage I would do now if I were training for a 2:50ish marathon. I do know that my 3:40 time put me almost exactly as the midpoint finisher in the race. That time in a major race nowadays would probably be in the top 10%.

Regarding me being misled. Could be, I'm not a physician. I'm certainly not misled that pre-pubescent girls do not have the breasts and hips and increased body fat percentages of developed women, and that these characteristics of the female form are a detriment to elite runners (take a look at Paula Radcliffe and Catherine Ndereba). This does not mean that I believe pre-pubescent girls are better suited to be elite runners than full-grown women, as they are in the sport of gymnastics. Regarding my claim that children have proportionally larger hearts to the rest of their body, I could very well be misinformed here as I was just passing along 2ndhand information. A quick google search gives no indication this is accurate, and the lack of information probably is an indicator it is inaccurate. It does appear, however, that numerous studies have been done on young athletes and that their aerobic systems respond to endurance training very similarly to adults. http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/coachsci/csa/vol96/table.htm
Quote Reply