Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard that the SBS is meant to be tougher than the SAS

http://www.specialoperations.com/...ines/SBS_Profile.htm

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've trained with seals. Can't tell you where though. But I am not amazed. I "took out" an entire team with a hand grenade during an exercise. My role was acting a rogue terrorist. Man did they get pissed. Messed up their plans of storming the door I was hiding behind. My trick? Leave the friggin door open... Hid in the dark, grenade away. Laughter from me and some very pissed off seals...

My $.02. the US ones, they're too much "by the book." Can't think for themselves. We call them coca-cola soldiers. Just coke and gum. Trigger happy sobs. . The euros however. The British SAS train with live ammo on their exercises. Just for the hell of it... and from what I've heard especially the Norwegians are f'n crazy. They "bathe" every day in the sea. Every day!
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to college in Poole, 1 1/2 miles down the road from the SBS base. At Christmas time local bar staff would stop serving and an alarm would go off as staff were assaulted by any Marines that were disorderly. There was no need for Red caps as the SBS boys would sort the offender out, double time! Interesting times!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sick... never heard...

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Special Air Service is army, the UK equivelant is Special Boat Service, different operational requirements use , etc
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [thenewguy11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have any of you been watching the SEAL show on the military channel? Each episode is only a day, and it is sick! Tough tough dudes laying there in the cold ocean. When they say "go get sandy", you get sandy!

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [Acorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Maybe swim-bike-run-cagefight?"

I'm in!
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [TriBear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be an NROTC officer instructor and occassionally administer the SEAL Physical Fitness Screen to interested midshipmen to submit with their packages. It consisted of:

Special Warfare/Special Operations Physical Fitness Screen consists of: swim 50 meters with mask, fins and snorkel to show waterborne confidence with no time limit; 500yd swim using breast/side stroke in 12.5 min (competitive time of < 9 min); 10 min rest; minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 min (competitive > 100); 2 min rest; minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 min (competitive > 100); 2 min rest; minimum of 6 pull-ups with no time limit (competitive > 20); 10 min rest; and 1.5 mile run in boots and long pants in 11.5 min (competitive time < 9 min).

Results were evaluated in conjunction with academic and military performance and recommendations. Physical performance was rarely a deciding factor unless the kid was doing all minimums. It was a very, very competitive program.

I agree with other posters that SEALs are not otherworldy physically, the SEALs I know are otherworldy in that they are smart, professional, mentally tough, and ruthless when called for.

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Book recomendation for you Tom. "The Savage Wars of Peace : Small Wars and America's Rise to Power" by Max Boot. Awesome book. It chronicals a portion of US military history that is brand new to me, from the early US Navy deployments in Morroco in 1804 to the Marines engaging in Sumatra. Not counting the 'big wars' the US has engaged a foriegn enemy 180 times. I did not know this. Anyway, anyone that is a fan of the SEALS would probably enjoy this read.

http://www.amazon.com/...v=glance&s=books
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've watched that channel...I can't even imagine standing in 50 (or less) degree water with a 200lb (?) rubber boat over my head for an hour or two. I"m mean, sheet, have you seen the hell week episodes? You spend the whole time freezing cold and wet with no sleep. How many of us would be able to do a tri on 5 days of no sleep, starting out freezing cold and wet? Don't think so. they are certainly a different breed. you've gotta be a little off-kilter just to consider it.

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To anyone thinking of doing this sort of excercise (50M underwater)....

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please make sure a lifeguard is present and that they are aware of what you are trying to do!!!!!!!

It would be really stupid to drown in your local Y pool just to see if you can pass some SEAL screening test.
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any other good books any would recommend, perhaps a biographical account of BUD's? That would be interesting

AF
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [martytram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I have heard that there are two ways to pass the 50 METER underwater swim. Finish, or pass out without coming up. More than a few pass out and have to get hauled up by an instructor.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [Doc H6llyw66d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck Mitch! From; Your friends in Stuttgart Germany
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the pump and run. Bench press then a 5k run. The number of presses subtracts from your time.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that's the way they like it :)

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [afeltz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are 3 that I've read several times, All by the same author, Dick Couch:

The Warrior Elite, The Finishing School, and a new one called "Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism". The first book is the best by far for a true introduction to what recruits face in BUDs.

I spent some time in Recon (USMC) and did Amphibious Recon School at the same location as the Seal training center in Coronado. Though we didn't really train much together, we used the same O-course, beach, boat ops, etc... as the Seals, and it was extremely physical, but the mental aspect was harder than anything else I've ever done. It gave me the foundation by which I compare every difficult task in front of me.
Quote Reply
SEAL events [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"One thing the seals could do for fun would be to stage a qualifier event where all of the most difficult physical tests were attempted and you'd get to see how you ranked compared to everyone else. That's one thing that I really like about Ironman, you get your splits and you can then compare them to anyone else on the same course that day. "

I don't think there are official SEAL sponsored events, but here are 2 events put on by SEALS that were a ton of fun and tough.

http://longdaychallenge.com/

http://www.usfrogmann.com/sac.php

I did the seal adventure challenge this spring while training for IMLP and Eagleman 1/2. I added in some extra push-ups and pull-ups to my training. Out of the 30+ of us there I ended up finishing in the top 5-- and one of the guys ahead of me was a 40+ y/o who beat me with age graded results. There were some guys there who could pump out 27-35 pull-ups. But I was able to put out 118 push-ups and 122 sit-ups, and finish in the front for the 3 mile run and obsticle course. I had a blast.

I have been seriously considering joining the AirForce for Pararescue. Unfortunately having a history of breathing problems is a disqualifying factor. My recruiter told me deny it and sign anyways-- I declined.

E

edit: Don Mann is a stud. Check out his website: www.usfrogmann.com
Last edited by: E-man: Oct 12, 05 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: US Navy SEALs using IMH as recruiting opportunity [Dudley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets get one thing straight you didn't "train with" the SEALs you were a role player and they did their training on you. The example you gave is why they and every other special operations unit trains, to be prepared to different scenarios. I think your a white shirt quitter that is still crying about ringing out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next