Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much exercise is optimal just to stay healthy?
Quote | Reply
I was wondering what is the minimum amount of exercise that is required to reap significant health benefits but still allows you to do other useful things like be with your family, build a business, develop your spirituality etc.. I am trying to set exercise targets that allow me to "stay in the game" e.g. do a 4.5 km ocean swim, run a half marathon, complete a century ride once a year, without devoting all of my waking hours to the task.

Similarly, hopw skinny do you need to be in order to stay healthy, without necessarily setting a PB on a marathon or something.

Those who know do not speak, those who speak, do not know.
Quote Reply
Re: How much exercise is optimal just to stay healthy? [Marky Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4-5 hours a week? 2 hours a week even. depends on what you are doing i guess.
Quote Reply
Re: How much exercise is optimal just to stay healthy? [Marky Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Stay healthy"

"Stay in the game"

I think these are different goals.

For the first, 30 minutes a day.

For the second, it'll be more. Maybe even much more. But that doesn't mean that it has to BECOME your life.

As for how skinny... Man, what a loaded question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

15 minutes of exercise for every beer you drink should keep you heathy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with these guys. You have to think in terms of base / maintenance and then some kind of periodized plan specific to your periodic goals.

For maintenance, an average of 30 min of moderate aerobic activity daily, some strength training and maybe one hard workout a week (tempo or greater) to stay sharp. That's 5 hrs a week maybe. Certainly manageable on a real person's year-round schedule.

The way to fit in the fun challenging stuff without letting it take over your life is to plan for it and train accordingly when it fits in with your schedule. So not during annual report season or school play season or whatever your priority dates are. For a half marathon coming off a decent base maybe you'll only need a 12 or so week build to make for a strong effort and still minimize the damage on race day.

The standard skinniness recommendation (currently - subject to change at any moment along with the food pyramid) is to keep your BMI under 29. Under 25 is even better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd shoot for 10-15kcal per kg of bodyweight. I think around that point is where the diminishing returns are starting to become a factor for people with "lives".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]Similarly, hopw skinny do you need to be in order to stay healthy[/quote]

i was taught (by my trainer, back when i had one) that 8-20% bodyfat is "healthy," 9-12 optimal.
Quote Reply