Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 1Up USA is the S@#$ [MukMuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MukMuk wrote:
Honestly I consider my 1up as the last rack I will ever buy. No plastic, fits the two different sized receivers we have in seconds and the ease of loading and unloading all of the different bikes I have is stupidly easy. Very well engineered and built with no assembly required.

If anyone is put off by the lack of a security lock for bikes I will say that the ones offered on other racks are really just for show. I ended up using a massive motorcycle lock and pass it through the frame and the rack. Having said that, if they want your bike, they will get it. I watched (on CCTV) a crook with a portable angle grinder have a free for all on some very heavy duty locks in a bike storage locker.

I totally agree. But I would say that the locks on racks are for low risk situations, so maybe a little more than for show.

The lock on my old hanging rack is a total joke. It would be easy for a smart thief to walk off with my rack in public so I try not to let my bike out of my sight. That's hard during our post-ride beers. I'm hopeful that the tire and frame locks on this Inno are good enough that a thief wouldn't dare to work at it in public.
Quote Reply
Re: 1Up USA is the S@#$ [Idaho Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 1upusa and love it. I use the TiGr bow lock with my bike on the rack vertically up thru the rack onto my down tube. Very secure lock. I also bought the mini which I use for commuting and if I have a 2nd bike on the rack.
http://Www.tigrlock.com
Quote Reply
Re: 1Up USA is the S@#$ [Dotte Original] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto, 1UPUSA, best bike rack I've ever had.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: 1Up USA is the S@#$ [Idaho Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the Inno Tire Hold for about a year. As far as tray racks go, it's very good. I've seen a number of 1Up racks since I bought the Inno and it's clear the Inno has two advantages - easier raising and lowering and security:
  • A lever at the back to raise and lower the rack. With the 1Up you have to reach toward the bumper to pull a bar. That would be awkward and maybe difficult with 3 or 4 bikes.
  • The Inno has built in security for keeping your bikes on the rack and the rack on the car. There is a locking lever on each tray and it comes with a cable that can be looped through bikes and plugs into the locking lever for additional deterence. A bold thief with heavy bolt cutters could still defeat both but I think bike security is mostly about effort and time and Inno would require some of both.
  • Inno's comes with the screw in hitch pin and lock. Prevents wobble (1Up has it's own good method) and helps deter theft.
  • It looks to me like you could remove each tray of the 1Up by taking out 2 screws if you have the tool. I'd want to figure out a good way to secure the whole rack and bikes if I owned one.

Besides a lower price, those are the main advantages of the Inno vs the 1Up. I'm not saying it's better. 1Up's advantages are:
  • All metal, whereas the Inno is mostly metal. A year later my Inno looks new so it's going to hold up.
  • 1Up's has that "stadium seating" design which would help space bikes and do a better job of preventing dragging on bumpy roads.
  • 1Up's can accommodate 4 bikes. Inno's only 3.
  • 1Up's looks cleaner and cooler. It looks like an awesome rack. You can tell people like them and many want one whereas nobody, at least in my area, has a clue about the Inno.

I'm happy with the Inno but I'm sure I'd like 1Up's once I got comfortable with the security stuff.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 1Up USA is the S@#$ [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these guys have been making great stuff for so long. I had one of their trainers forever, and even repurposed that centrifugal resistance unit on a custom fit bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVKUCH_p8JQ

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 1Up USA is the S@#$ [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
What's the word on getting the double rack vs getting the single rack plus the single add-on?

90% of the time I'd probably just have 1 bike on there for me, but want to have the option to add a second bike on for the girlfriend or guests or whatever. To that effect, going the 1+1 route seems like a more flexible option and it actually seems to be a little cheaper than just getting the double as well. Unless there is some big downside to it that's the way I think I'll go.

Also, good timing on posting. I'm in the market and these seem way better than than the other racks I was seeing.

I bought the single +1 vs. the heavy duty double. I do like the ability to leave just 1 bike rack on which allows me to easily open my liftgate without having to touch the rack. (Of course when both mounts are present you must move the rack out the way first. That's a lesson my girlfriend forgot twice and I have dings on my liftgate as a reminder.) Going the singles route, you can have a max of 3 bike mounts on the rack. I was told this is due to the limitation of the strength of the bolts that hold each rack together. With the double mount, 2 of the racks are solidly together, so you can add 2 add'tl mount for 4 total.

When I bought the single, I found that the 1 1/4" mount + adapter had a small amount of play in my 2" hitch, especially noticeable when I had 2 mt bikes loaded on the rack. 1upUsa was cool enough to sell me the 2" hitch mount piece that I replaced the lighter 1 1/4" piece and the play is gone.

So to summarize, the heavy duty rack will cost marginally more, but will allow you to add an addt'l bike and also be a little more solid on the car. If you have heavy / several bikes, may be worth the extra.
Quote Reply

Prev Next