Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More Running Shoe Thoughts
Quote | Reply
On the flip side of the coin from a lighter more minimal shoe, who feels that some modern running shoes like a stability shoe is better than these light weight racing flats that people are now advocating for distance running. It seems to me that with all the concrete on the roads and such a stability shoe is a better way to go. I am not a fan of the "bulky" motion control shoes, but do like a middle of the road stability trainer....
Quote Reply
Re: More Running Shoe Thoughts [toddtv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd still advocate a well cushioned neutral shoe for lots of pavement running so that you run with your natural foot gate rather than get slapped into some pre determined "gait control motion", but that is just my view.

If your shoes make a loud slapping sound when they hit the ground, it usually means that you are running with poor biomechanics with respect to the interaction of your foot with the ground. This can be self generated, but is is usually amplified by the way some shoes (both motion control and stability) force your foot to function. Run down the road barefoot and I guarantee, that the interaction between foot and pavement/concrete is almost silent.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 5 or the new 6....If you need support but want light and fast---this shoe is it.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need very much cushion at all on concrete. How much harder is concrete than packed dirt anyways? Take a concrete surface, and put a few milimeters of rubber on it, and it's not so hard anymore. I'd like to see some studies that show how much rubber is required to equal the give of a packed dirt surface. I suspect it is much less than people thing.

My Nike waffle racers have a good amount of give to them, if you ask me, and they don't muck much with my gait. I run exclusively on concrete, and I don't have any pain in my knees or joints. It's all muscular from the adaptation process.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: More Running Shoe Thoughts [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the Adrenaline, great all-around trainer. Asics GT-2100 is very comparable as well, good solid shoe. For races, I'm a fan of the Brooks Racer ST

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Re: More Running Shoe Thoughts [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I very well could be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that concrete is harder on your joints than asphalt was. I was under the impression concrete was just about the worst surface to run on.
Quote Reply
Re: More Running Shoe Thoughts [Jerrodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm aware of that.... But how does a hard surface, such as concrete or asphalt, covered in a .25 inch of rubber compare in hardness to packed dirt? That's what I'm wondering...

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: More Running Shoe Thoughts [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would assume it makes a considerable difference. That being said, my 5 miles this morning was on concrete.. :(
Quote Reply
Re: More Running Shoe Thoughts [Jerrodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
barefoot? I run all the time on concrete or asphalt, but I also have a .25 inch of rubber between my feet and the road, which seems like plenty of cushioning for me.

Quote Reply