Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike, I think better position - dissect!
Quote | Reply
So, July 4th I had a car pull out in front of me and my Slice was wrecked. July 26th was IMC, so I had to get it figured out pretty quick. I was able to get a P2 in a 51 set up for me for the race 12 days out (thanks for the help Cyclenutz and Zach Boring for helpful advice) and put on a Zipp Vuka Alumina bar. I was excited because I'd be able to lengthen the cockpit 3 cm from the old bike (Profile ZBS ski bends, couldn't make em longer) and I couldn't believe how much it helped.

Long story short, was able to KQ for the first time on a crazy hard day - so just looking for some eyeball feedback on the position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cjx_ZxATag

Thanks in advance...

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You posted your video as private.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the KQ! Hopefully all the mods you made worked for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your video is marked private right now.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [boostedcvc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course it was...fixed it.

Thanks!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if Demerly was your fitter but he fit me with a P3C about 6 years ago and I sold the bike after one season, as it was too large. I'm not saying it was Tom's fault, but I have come to the conclusion that fit is very personal and Tom put me in a 52 and now ride a 48 and I have never looked back. Based on my style and where I get my power, I would suggest you try to lower your seat a bit and see how that feels. I believe you may get more consistent power throughout the pedal stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [tojunialto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done all of my own fitting. The position on the new bike is a little more stretched out, but I am on a 51 after being on a 54 Slice. I'm 5'9, not sure a 48 would help, but I feel like I'm at a good starting place at least.

Will evaluate and maybe try a little bit lower saddle...

Thanks!

Brent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO-seat should be pushed forward a bit more. Video yourself out of the aerobars and in an upright position; where do you sit on the saddle? Seems like you should push it forward.
Agreed that your seat height is too tall. Your feet are too extended down on the downstroke. At the lowest part of the downstroke, your foot should be horizontal to the ground.
Last edited by: twain: Aug 19, 15 23:54
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
At the lowest part of the downstroke, your foot should be horizontal to the ground.

Disagree with this. For almost any position, that would put your ankle at an acute angle less than 90 degrees, because the lower leg is unlikely to be perpendicular to the ground, unless you are riding a crazy shallow seat tube angle. Foot close to a right-angle with the lower leg? Fine. But not horizontal to the ground.

Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!! Someone gets it. So tired of being told to make my foot horizontal - it's effing uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well there is horizontal and then there is you, really toe down foot looks to be 40deg wrt horizontal whereas 10-15 might be better
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
At the lowest part of the downstroke, your foot should be horizontal to the ground.

Can you explain your reasoning behind this "rule?"
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seat height or pedalling technique issue - or both?

Looking at it a few times - the foot angle actually much better than it has been wrt horizontal, but obviously still needs some work.

Brent

Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
twain wrote:

I believe the general reasoning behind it is that if your toe is pointed down, you're reaching too far and thus seat is too high.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [soobrex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, there's the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
twain wrote:

I believe Mat Steinmetz also stated that wasn't true - because you are rotated forward on the bike so "horizontal" moves - so flat foot in aero would be heel down in fact?

I was actually pretty happy with the improvements I made when I paused the video - I used to be Phillipe Gilbert like!

Brent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible logic as it assumes that the rider's tibia is perpendicular to the plane they're riding on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say your saddle is too high, maybe frame too big(but now cant remember what it looked like and don't want to go cut and paste link again.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, I think better position - dissect! [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks - will try lowering the saddle slightly...yeah - sorry about the link - won't hyperlink for me.

Brent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9VemQ1fGMk

Always fun to update the position, this was what I rode at IMC a couple weeks back. Still working on the head, but fun to see progress.

Besides that helmet ;) what else are we looking at improving here?

Brent

Quote Reply