Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So here is a breakthrough idea!!!!
Quote | Reply
I have a breakthrough idea, but i have no way to propose it to a company without having confidence that they will not steal it. How should i get the idea out there and keep my idea safe?Without severe money loss for a patent. If i had around 150$ i could make a rough heavy version of it right now, but whats the use of that if i wont keep the idea safe?
Quote Reply
Re: So here is a breakthrough idea!!!! [uwmswimr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Invention Channel! And their free "inventers kit"! It's the informercial with the woman sighing because she invented roller-blades and stuff like that. Not sure what is in it, but it might be worth something...

On another level, you have to consider that it might be cooler to put your idea into practice, even if you don't get 100% of the procedes, than to let it wallow. Put some sketeches together. At the very least, those will be copyrighted.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Copyrights for sketches are worthless in the present legal system- ask any experimentor in the nano or quantum computing biz.

Invest the cash to make a prototype and then patent the design and all possible variations of the design before you ever show this idea or even talk about this idea to anyone.

If all goes well and you get to the patent process- go with the 20 year patent. The greatest amount of profit for any invention is gathered in the last 5 years of a patent lifetime.
Quote Reply
Re: So here is a breakthrough idea!!!! [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Astro - make sure ANYONE you speak with in the process of this enters into a non-disclosure agreement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on, you can trust us....what's the idea? We won't tell anyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Filing fees for a small entity (which you would qualify as) are only $150, $75 if you file electronically. The Search and Examination fees are only $350 more. You can skirt around this by filing a provisional patent application for $100. You can do this without getting into the right legal form and even without using an attorney, if you wanted to.

Now when you enter into a NDA with a company you're negotiating with, you can say that you've filed for a patent. PM me for more detailed info if you'd like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No intellectual property protection you acquire will be worth anything if you don't have the money to defend it in court should someone try to steal your idea. Just something to keep in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know if this is valid. Years ago someone told me if you have an idea you want to protect, write/draw it up and seal it in a package then mail it to yourself via certified mail. Never open the package until you have to prove when you had the idea. It is date stamped by USPS with traceability.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been through this also... and was awarded an utility patent.

There are design (based on and limited to the idea as designed), utility (based on the design but limits are set at the utility) and process. There may be some other catagories because of the bioscience and computer science idea explosion... but a patent attorney or agent should be able to break this all down for you.

1. Create the working prototype and make sure you have a non-disclosure with others that help. The dates are important so keep a journal with sketches, photos, notes, and dates. It doesn't have to be notorized or have a postmark... but anything that supports your info will help.

2. Make reasonable efforts to protect your idea until you've achieved the status of Patent Pending. This means staying out of publications, shows, and not offering anything for sale.

PM me if you have more questions...

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I have a breakthrough idea, but i have no way to propose it to a company without having confidence that they will not steal it. How should i get the idea out there and keep my idea safe?Without severe money loss for a patent. If i had around 150$ i could make a rough heavy version of it right now, but whats the use of that if i wont keep the idea safe?[/reply]

Get the book "patent it yourself" from NOLO press. It will walk you through all of your options.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need a partner? I have no ideas but I have capital.

Re: So here is a breakthrough idea!!!! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Don't know if this is valid. Years ago someone told me if you have an idea you want to protect, write/draw it up and seal it in a package then mail it to yourself via certified mail. Never open the package until you have to prove when you had the idea. It is date stamped by USPS with traceability.

That is called the "poor mans patent" and has stood up in court. The case that is often used as an example was between an inventor and a friend or something like that though - not an inventor and some guy in the other side of the country copying it...and you get a chicken or egg argument in court.

Like had been said - if you have a product that is only $150 to make...what is the "sell price" potential market size and opportunity for profit? If and only if your profits are something that possibly you and your great great grandchildren can live off of...then maybe worry. Even then, it is a battle with all new products to get protection from honest competition, let alone the Chineese.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: So here is a breakthrough idea!!!! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "idea", can reduce drag by quite a bit. I think there is a market for it and i could make a prototype out of a piece of wood or heavier metal, but the real deal would need to be out of carbon fiber. In the end i think it could sell for over 500 a piece.
Quote Reply
Re: So here is a breakthrough idea!!!! [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah, sorry. if you do ANY reading about this at all, you will discover that this "mail it to yourself" system is useless. do not do it.

doubt me? read the very thorough 'patent it yourself' by david pressman.

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg X: Oct 8, 05 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: So here is a breakthrough idea!!!! [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly right...

If the idea is truely marketable with high profit potential then the likelihood is that it will be stolen... and, sometimes stolen by the company that is producing the idea.

The general rule seems to be... if it's REALLY valuable, then the chance of you having deep enough pockets and long enough life to defend the idea will be determining factor as to it's real protection. All to often, most inventor will settle out of court for a fixed amount because they don't have the resources and time to fight for it's protection - even if they are in the right.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply