Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Make your own sports drink or energy gel?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever tried to do this? I've got a couple of recipes but I wanted someone'r real life experience.

Quote Reply
Re: Make your own sports drink or energy gel? [tricheermom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i tried making something gatorade-ish with punch mix and "lite" salt (NaCl and KCl). i put in a splash of OJ for flavor.

the results were astronomically bad. learn from my mistake.

as far as energy bars go, though, i'd love to try to make my own. any suggestions?

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: Protein bars [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to try to make these over the weekend:

1 c. raw oatmeal
5 scoops of Strawberry protein powder [90g. of protein]
1/4 c. fat free cream cheese
1/2 c. non fat dry powder milk
2 egg whites
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 bananas, mashed
2 tsp. Canola oil [this is the secret ingredient to keeping these bars moist instead of the traditional dry bar]
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9" square pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a med. bowl combine oatmeal, protein powder, and dry milk. Set aside. In another bowl beat together with an electric hand mixer; cream cheese, egg whites, bananas, water and oil. Add the oat mixture and continue to beat until the two are combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Makes 6 bars. Nutritional stats per bar are;
Calories:203,Proteins:22g,Carbs:22g,Fats:3g.

Or these:
Homemade Protein Bars

3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups dry milk
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 cup lite syrup
2 scoops protein powder
2 egg whites
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup craisins (cranberry/raisins, or cranberries or raisins) or chopped apple and chopped nuts

Mix all ingredients as you add them to each other and then in a waxpaper lined cookie sheet spread the mixture out. After you do this and before you bake them, take a butter knife and cut them into 10 squares. Put them in a 325' oven until lightly browned (about 15 minutes) and store them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks without refrigeration.

Makes 10 Bars 1Bar = 200 calories 12.2 g protein 25 g carbs.

Quote Reply
Re: Protein bars [tricheermom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bars with oats and devils food cake are awesome. Good for you also. Yummm

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Re: Protein bars [tricheermom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you find those receipes? They look interesting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my gel mix:

3 cups of honey (carbs; best if you get the more natural stuff in a bucket, it's less sweet)

6 tbsp of blackstrap molasses (potassium)

1 tbsp of salt (sodium)

Mix together for tasty goodness.
Quote Reply
Re: Protein bars [Bug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found them on a bodybuilder website. I put in a Google search for "homemade energy bars".

Quote Reply
Re: Make your own sports drink or energy gel? [McGuirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McGuirk:

What do you put this in? Gel Flask.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it!

I buy maltodextrin in bulk. Look at the ingredients of the leading gels. That's what you are getting. This tastes ok raw, mostly like nothing. I usually add a pinch of gaterade powder or OJ or something. You can also get fancy and calculate a proper amount of salt. Depending on how much water you add, you end up with a sports drink, syrup, gel, etc., though it may take a while for to all dissolve.

Anyway, the last batch I bought was 50 lbs (~90,000 calories) for $45. Add that up ladies and gentlemen, and compare to what you're spending now.
Quote Reply
Re: Make your own sports drink or energy gel? [andy497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy497,

That's one of my driving forces....I got laid off in July and I'm looking for ways to cut my cost.

Where do you get the maltodextrin? I googled making Gu and found this:

http://www.alpinedave.com/make_gu.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Green Tea on the Rocks during my training rides. I use Maltodextrin for some Calories and add a little bit of sugar (mostly for sweeteness), and some salt.

Not only is it cheap, but I also like it.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll mix the gel up in a bottle and pour it into a flask for riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Make your own sports drink or energy gel? [andy497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maltodextrin is also the main ingedient of "weight gain powders" in the bodybuilding world.

Many of these "weight gain drinks/powders" can be purchased cheaply.

Maltodextrin is also a main ingredient for microbrews or for people that make their own beer. Andy?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basic gel is maltodextrin + water; couldn't be simpler. Add just about anything you like for flavouring. I made my g/f some Cointreau, Lme & Lemonade gel that was quite tasty.

There are a couple of ways to buy it cheaply. Here (Sydney) it's now on the shelf at many supermarkets for about $2 per kilo. Slightly more expensive (unless you buy bulk) is from home-brewing supply shops. You won't need bulk though. A kilo of maltodextrin will make, I dunno, about 67,000 gels. Hard to justify spending $2 or $3 per gel after that.

There'll be a little trial & error while you learn how, though. The best way is to mix with hot (not boiling) water on a stove-top. This helps avoid lumps. It will thicken when it cools, which is where the trial & error comes in. The first lot I made Linda Lovelace couldn't have removed from my flask. Start with 4 parts maltodextrin to 1 part water & refine from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Where do you get the maltodextrin?

http://www.jmswank.com/ Maltodextrin runs about $50 for a 50-pound bag, and Dextrose about $25 for a 50-pounder too (I mix the two). Make sure that the Maltodextrin you get is the quick-dispersing one (QD for short) otherwise it's difficult to make a homogeneous mix.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Make your own sports drink or energy gel? [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The first lot I made Linda Lovelace couldn't have removed from my flask.

You owe me a new computer monitor! I spit coffee all over it laughing so hard at that line.....thanks for making my morning. That was hilarious

Billy

Nine out of Ten Scientists agree that
Out of Ten Scientists
One will disagree with the other Nine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just have a supplement place mix the main ingredients of popular drinks in the appropriate quantites and add flavoring.

For example, my recovery drink is maltodextrin and whey protein in a 4:1 ratio (or whatever Endurox is). Cost is $12 for 4.5 lbs and it tastes much better than Endurox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple of recipes I've done many times -

Chocolate Energy Gel

(I use a protein powder scoop to measure the first 4 ingredients)

4 Scoops Maltodextrin, 2 Scoops filtered water, 3/4 Scoop chocolate powder

1 Scoop fluctose, 1 TSP arrowroot powder, 1 TSP instant coffee

1 TSP alcohol (gin or vodka etc. - kills maltodextin aftertaste) , 1 TSP lemon juice, 3 generous dashes of salt

Bring maltodextrin, fluctose and water to a simmer. Stir in the coffee. Slowly add the chocolate stirring constantly

Add the alcohol, lemon juice and salt. Mix the arrowroot with a couple TBS of cold water. Slowly add the arrowroot

mixture stirring constantly. (this acts as thickener) Let slow simmer for about 10 minutes and cool.

Apple Pie Energy Gel

Same as above except leave out the chocolate and coffee and substitute apple juice

for the water. You can add caffeine powder if you like. Add pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove to taste.

You can get the maltodextrin from www.muscleshoppe.com as UNIVERSAL NUTRITION / CARBO PLUS - UNFLAVORED - 3.5 LBS
Its about 5 bucks

Good Luck

Greg
Quote Reply
Re: Make your own sports drink or energy gel? [gbalin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gbaiin:

Thanks for the recipes....I like the gin part, although I'm a Jack Daniels (not the running guru) kinda girl.

I'm going to try these and let you know how it turns out.

Quote Reply