Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another triathlete killed; "inattentive motorist" hits her... [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live near a country club in the North County of San Diego - I have had many close calls with large cars and older drivers while running and biking - they just never seem to to see you - I have to watch everytime I get close to the area since I have had sveral close calls with them making a righ hand turn in fornt of me.
Quote Reply
Re: Another triathlete killed; "inattentive motorist" hits her... [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. The good thing is that most times, cars slow way down, to be extra careful when passing me. There have been occassions where I've felt cars were "buzzing the tower" to let me know they did not appreciate my causing them to change their path (my impression). They were going (my guesstimation) likely 20mph OVER the 55mph speed limit. Country roads, for some folks, means "Hey, no cops ... no limit".

Obviously, I try to find the least-traveled roads with the best grade ... and I've found quite a few of them.

I will be on a P3C with $2000.00 handlebars when I am back riding.

Heh Heh.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Oct 5, 05 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Another triathlete killed; "inattentive motorist" hits her... [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RC,

I don't want to speak to IL, but I would caution you in your thinking in WI that you have the right to the "entire" lane. The law requires that we "ride as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb" with few exceptions. Sec. 346.80(2) Wis. Stats.

As a practicle matter I agree, motorists are more likely to give way if we are actually in the way, but they only "need" to give us 3 feet, which of course is not nearly enough.

Roadracer
Quote Reply
Re: Another triathlete killed; "inattentive motorist" hits her... [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not true any more. Older people are in more accidents and have a higher rate of accidents than any other age group. Look it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Another triathlete killed; "inattentive motorist" hits her... [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't know that. I doubt it is that older people today are moving so much slower than older people of the past ... I'd guess that the world gets moving at an increasingly faster pace. Bunch of new roads, traffic moving faster andmore crowded ... on and on.

I would bet that the older drivers both pass the vision test and the reaction test ... but in the real world, on the streets, there's so much stuff to watch and look out for ... that it's too easy to get distracted.

I feel for these folks. They needto be able to care for themselves (no one else will).

Anyway ... thanks for the update.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply

Prev Next