Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fixie on a trainer?
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of purchasing a single gear for training....mostly I want to be smoother, more efficient. Are they worth the investment? From a training aid stand point, are they beneficial on a trainer? I ride 80% indoors(computrainer) and I'm looking for alternatives to the spinscan. I don't understand why a fixed gear does anything a multi gear bike can't: wouldn't a power crank essentially do the same thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie on a trainer? [tomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fixed is much cooler than a PC and isn't that what it is all about? :)

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean a singlespeed or a fixed-gear?

I have been riding a fixed gear that I built. It is fun. It is cool. But I dont know why I would ride it on a trainer unless it was just to give my other bike a rest. My fixie wants to be seen.

That said, you would have to keep spinning the fixie - no breaks. That is how it is different than a regular bike. That, and the fact that you are rarely in the ideal gear ratio- so you are either spinning like a hamster or you are hammering and burning. Maybe that will be good for you - only you know. Riding fixed has been a total trip. I recommend it highly.
Last edited by: johnt: Oct 4, 05 10:05
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie on a trainer? [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant a fixed gear, as you said, no breaks, no coasting, only hammer on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should buy one (or build one). Everyone would.

BTW, my fixie hubs will not fit in my trainer. It has track nuts on solid axles, not QRs. Look at that before you decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run mine on the computrainer all the time and it definitely smooths out the kinks on my pedal stroke. On my road bike I had to really consentrate to get a 75 scan and when I just spin on my fixed gear I often look at the screen and see a scan of 80. My spin on the road bike has improved a lot from that. It's also good to get it up to a high rpm and load up the watts and see how long I can hold it at 100 RPM. Great dicipline.

I bought my Specialized for around 500 bucks and it has cheap nuts on the axle so it fits the trainer just fine.

I'm going to ride it all winter.
Last edited by: singlespeed: Oct 8, 05 20:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can make a fixie work in most trainers as long as there is extra axle on the ends by adding more axle nuts to the ends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you get track nuts? Too much riding? But seriously, what gears are you guys pushing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fixed gears rule!!!!!

The only thing harder would be a fixed gear on rollers.

Call me Big Dick
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie on a trainer? [singlespeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
48/18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked and I have a 48/16, but it seems like around 21.5 MPH I'm at around 100 rpm, so I ordered a 15 today. I'm good around 90-95 rpm. I won't be happy 'til I remove the rear brake. Don't know why, but it really bugs me. Maybe I'll get out and ride it Saturday. It's been raining for a week or so up here in the NE. I'm getting soggy.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie on a trainer? [Ima Jerkov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually like my fixie on the rollers.
Quote Reply