Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Usat duathlon National championships [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree it was shortish. That's why I raced it.

10 of the top 13 were from different states. In my group 5 of the top 9 were from different states so there was a fair amout of out-of-staters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, no matter what happens, in any race, some will complain.

Bottom line the folks who wanted to race against the best showed up. I have not been to a Nationals for 10 years since anything back east is just too expensive for me.

And it was great to have what I call a "Nationals course". This means hills, both on the bike and run, rather than a flat boring course with tons of drafting.

Now the altitude did nail me at the beginning of the run, but I just kept at it and settled down. Folks who do not bike or run hills may have paid the price. I sure saw
lots of leg cramps.

Why some get so worried about who gets on the teamusa just makes me smile. If the "slow" folks do not get in and go, there is no race!

I have raced for 20 years, and never basically race duathlons. But now that I have race 4 this season, I might keep them in my schedule going forward. It is nice not having
to worry about the swim. And duathlons really make one have to give some real focus on the run. Plus I love the cross training aspect. But without question, Duathlons
are MUCH harder than a triathlon!!!!!!

And I love the Aquathlon also. No bike to hassle with. But if you cannot run, ....

Going to be a great Worlds in BC in 2017. I just need to get in to the other 2 events so I can do 4 of the 5.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Usat duathlon National championships [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
There were 18 spots for worlds in the standard. I am pretty sure there were not 18 people in any AG. If you showed up and finished you got a World's spot without a roll down.

The sprint race seems like kind of a joke. I missed the 40-44 AG title by 10 seconds, but I managed to push the winner enough so he collapsed at the finish line. He managed to come back 3 hours later and finish 3rd overall in the sprint. If someone can race to the edge in a two hour race and then come back in 3 hours and beat fresh competition, that wasn't much competition.

Even in the standard, I think a lot of people didn't show up. I finished second masters in the regional, lost by like 5 minutes and then I am 10 seconds from the national title (regional masters winner, who lives within a 5-6 hours drive didn't show), other top 3 finishers from the regional (I was 5th) didn't show up. I was excited to get on the OA masters podium and get second 40-44, and 6th overall, but I'm not that good. No disrespect to the other competitors, this was one of the most competitive races (in terms of close finish position and exchanging positions), but I don't think anyone cares about Duathlon anymore. Too bad, because this was a great course, really made you work on the run and the bike and it was very clean racing.

You know what? Go to hell you elitist prick. You can only race who shows up. I understand that duathlon is a very niche sport and USAT did the sport no favors by putting this race in Bend. I busted my ass since duathlon nationals last year in Minneapolis, trained like a MF'er, and finished first in my age group. I'm going to worlds because it would be an honor to represent my country no matter how I qualified. Take your successes like a man (or woman) and move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Usat duathlon National championships [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, definitely plan on going...although my focus will be long course tri. So looking for a double with the standard du. No plans to try for any others.
Quote Reply
Re: Usat duathlon National championships [farney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
farney wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
There were 18 spots for worlds in the standard. I am pretty sure there were not 18 people in any AG. If you showed up and finished you got a World's spot without a roll down.

The sprint race seems like kind of a joke. I missed the 40-44 AG title by 10 seconds, but I managed to push the winner enough so he collapsed at the finish line. He managed to come back 3 hours later and finish 3rd overall in the sprint. If someone can race to the edge in a two hour race and then come back in 3 hours and beat fresh competition, that wasn't much competition.

Even in the standard, I think a lot of people didn't show up. I finished second masters in the regional, lost by like 5 minutes and then I am 10 seconds from the national title (regional masters winner, who lives within a 5-6 hours drive didn't show), other top 3 finishers from the regional (I was 5th) didn't show up. I was excited to get on the OA masters podium and get second 40-44, and 6th overall, but I'm not that good. No disrespect to the other competitors, this was one of the most competitive races (in terms of close finish position and exchanging positions), but I don't think anyone cares about Duathlon anymore. Too bad, because this was a great course, really made you work on the run and the bike and it was very clean racing.

You know what? Go to hell you elitist prick. You can only race who shows up. I understand that duathlon is a very niche sport and USAT did the sport no favors by putting this race in Bend. I busted my ass since duathlon nationals last year in Minneapolis, trained like a MF'er, and finished first in my age group. I'm going to worlds because it would be an honor to represent my country no matter how I qualified. Take your successes like a man (or woman) and move on.

Totally agree with you.

Congrads on your hard work. For me, just not willing to put the time in to try and get better on the bike. I just try to run down folks. :(

I am always amazed at the folks who make judgments about races.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Long course du nats is way too short. When I did Zof, about 8 of 30 on Team USA DNFd. I think part of the problem was that Cary is basically a short course race. And the race at Cary might as well have been a pancake compared to the Swiss course. It was like using a track 5K to pick a team for a mountain marathon. But again, those are the rules and it's the same deal for everyone.

I agree with you. LC, should be long, minimum 3 hour finishing time for the winners. If the long course was really long, some people who aren't real long course guys would think twice about it and race standard distance.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Usat duathlon National championships [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

Although I agree on the difficulty and beauty of the course in New Paltz - It was a similar issue as Bend - just not the most user friendly for people traveling.

I agree Bend is not the "easiest" place to get to. The only races I have ever flown to were Alacatraz and AmZof (I did it 5 times as a local before I flew back from OR), however in both cases I made a week long vacation out of it.

So when someone says it is hard to get to Bend, I might agree, but the difficulty is if you were planning to just go for the weekend and race and then go home. If you flew to PDX, drove to Bend (3 hrs) and stayed for a weeks vacation, was that really so much travel as compared to a typical vacation? I don't know exactly where Cary is, but would you spend a weeks vacation there? My point being is that Bend is a vacation destination and if you look at it like that, the travel is not a big deal. I had a friend come out from NY to race with me and he spent a week here is OR and loved it. We spend two nights in Bend, we went to Crater Lake, he hung out at my house in Corvallis for 4 nights hitting up some brew pubs and he had a great trip.

Bend in the summertime is awesome. People should have realized this, planned ahead and made a week out of it. Me personally, I would never bother to fly anywhere for a weekend just to race (okay, I am planning to fly to SAC for a weekend this year to race a marathon, but it is like a 1 hour flight and I don't need to worry about bringing a bike and a bunch of other crap).
Quote Reply
Re: Usat duathlon National championships [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

I was a bit peeved at the separate awards ceremony. I fully understand that they didn't open up transition until the last rider finished...that's fine. But, if I'm going to have to stick around 2 hours to get my bike, I'd like to roll the awards ceremony into that time. Having to come back for a 2.5 hour ceremony that night was pretty annoying.

Even more so when they gave out the sprint awards first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your national title. Don't be so insecure about it.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Jun 27, 16 23:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess we'll add condescending to your lovely list of character traits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spot on. Brought the family to Bend and made a vacation out of the PNW. Went to Cary alone, flying in the day before, raced, packed my bike at the venue afterwards and then straight to the airport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Spot on. Brought the family to Bend and made a vacation out of the PNW. Went to Cary alone, flying in the day before, raced, packed my bike at the venue afterwards and then straight to the airport.

So what was your favorite thing about Bend?

Deschutes has great food, we ended up eating their for dinner twice and I had Pork Shank Osso Bucco for my pre-race and post-race dinner.

I also took my buddy tubing on the Deschutes river on Saturday after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
farney wrote:
I guess we'll add condescending to your lovely list of character traits.

I'm tall, I can't help but talk down to everyone. If you want to add condescending to funny, fast and smart I'm okay with it. Even I'll admit I'm not perfect;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather, Old Mill District, scenic beauty everywhere, integration of housing and commercial space, etc. It is now on our list of potential retirement towns.
Quote Reply

Prev Next