Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to fit a bike commute into your workout schedule?
Quote | Reply
When the weather is nice, I can ride my bike to work which takes about 40 minutes each way. I am usually on a training plan with a long bike (2hr to start and rising over time), a short bike of 45min-1 hour and a brick of 30-45min bike with a short run (15-25min) after it.

Question is, how do I fit a commute in there? I would like to get stronger on the bike so adding these commutes to the workouts is no problem but should I restrict it to a couple times per week/not do them the day after a long ride, not do 2 days in a row, etc.? Should I drop the short bike ride if I am commuting. How should I treat 2 rides of 45 minutes each split by the workday relative to a single ride of 1hr or 1.5 hours?
Last edited by: goolsbee: Sep 21, 05 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: How to fit a bike commute into your workout schedule? [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would start by replacing your short ride. after a while you could also replace your brick and run when you get home from your commute. I would leave clothes, and an extra lunch at work the day before you commute so you can ride without a pack or panniers. I made the mistake of not bringing enough food the day before and was starving on the ride home. Ride easy on the way to work then treat the ride home as the 'real' training ride. This season, I did a long ride at the weekend, shorter ride on tues, and commuted on thurs followed by a short transition run. I didn't try the commute 2x a week because it's 60mi round trip.
Quote Reply
Re: How to fit a bike commute into your workout schedule? [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - ditch the short ride & the brick ride and use the commute instead. However I always ride with a backpack on - hey riding hills & tempo work with a 15-lb bag makes racing seem easy. Your bike strength will skyrocket. Commuting in traffic also helps your bike handling, my mountain bike racing has improved dramatically since I started commuting (and incidentally stopped practicing on my MTB.) Gotta have food at work though, my commute is 30 miles each way and I eat like a madman on the days I do it.
Quote Reply