Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whats the durability on different component groups?
Quote | Reply
I have ULTEGRA comps on my bike. I'm a second owner and the bike is 4 years old...everything seems to be smooth but i still wonder how long before something can go wrong and if so whats usually the first thing to give. I ride about 80mi/week so its not as much volume as serious riders...

Whats the durability on other components?

I'm thinking on getting a new Tri frame next year as well but wondering if i should invest on a complete bike or just transfer the components.....
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the durability on different component groups? [weightedsummer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badabomp
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the durability on different component groups? [weightedsummer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, but I would think that the only real components that wear out to any significant degree are chains, cogs, and brake pads.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the durability on different component groups? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add shifters. Unfortunately some of the most expensive parts when talking STI...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the durability on different component groups? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add shifters.

Really? I didn't know that, I just sort of assumed they'd keep working if kept clean. How long?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the durability on different component groups? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i cans see my cogs will need replacement in a few months or a year but the rest is what i'm more worried about as mentioned above cause theyre expensive....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced and rode Ultegra STI's into the ground in 5 years. And the b!tch of STI is that it's not serviceable -- you replace the whole thing. Campy's can be rebuilt (parts replaced instead of the whole thing).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine anyone would ever actually wear out Ultegra components. I'll bet most people buy Dura Ace because it's cool and because they can. Buying new and better stuff is great but I doubt you actually need to, especially if you're on a budget.

I know some pretty serious riders who've been riding the same components for 10 years without any problems. (other than changing a chain now and then)

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the durability on different component groups? [Tom 538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people on 10 year old bikes with 10 year old shifters dont know that their shifting sucks...it just does...kinda like going deaf slowly. If you have 10 year old Shimano I bet it reacts as fast as Bob Doles penis with out his magic blue pill.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the durability on different component groups? [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no biking guro, genious by any stretch, but if you move the lever and the chain goes to the next cog, what else is there?

I'm not sure about moving Bob Dole's penis though.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the durability on different component groups? [Tom 538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Under how much power? How many gears at once? Is there any lag? I can tell a shifter that is a year old from a new one...presuming that the year old one has some miles on it. These are wear items, they do wear out if you use them. I replace mine every 2 years at best...longer for bar ends...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the durability on different component groups? [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I replace mine every 2 years"

maybe you should switch to Dura Ace.

; ) just kiddin'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really believe this is partly determinant on your level of maintenance. If you keep your drive train clean and replace chain on regular basis, your front and rear der will last a long time. I would think 10K mile is not out of the question. Also living in marine environment is tough on gear and leaving your bike outside or is humid storage.

Keep your bike clean and dry and it will last a long time.
Quote Reply