Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cincy folks - advice please
Quote | Reply
I am considering relocating to the Cincinnati area and will be there on business next week. Can you guys give me some recommendations on areas to visit. Must have excellent public schools. Housing cost 200k - 300k. Easy access to cycling routes would be nice. Looking for areas like the suburbs of Atlanta (if anyone is familiar with Alpharetta or Roswell).

Time to get out of New Orleans,

Thanks
Last edited by: giuseppe: Sep 21, 05 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Cincy folks - advice please [giuseppe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know where you will be working?

Some areas that are nice and suburban:
Mariemont-is sort of east off Rt 50
Anderson- is east off 275
Wyoming- is north off 75
Maderia- is central off 71

All are beautiful areas, all with good schools.

I live right near Mariemont and work in Anderson. Both have decent cycling very close. I haven't ridden from Wyoming, but I am guessing it is flatter than the other 2 locations. Madiera is near good riding too.

You can PM me or I'm sure any of the cinci folks for more info.

Bring your swim suit and bike- join us for master's practice or a group ride to get a better idea...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh we can help for sure. Need to know more about what you like to do and all that and where you will be working. Trigoneroadie hit the major cities. A lot of families also live north, like west chester/mason area. Do you know much about cincy?

Housing is not that expensive here. You can find a nice house for that price range in many different neighborhoods
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, welcome, we'd love to have you. here are my thoughts:

Madeira (excellent schools, quaint community, with terrific zoning laws--no giant wal-mart or anything like that. this is where we live and our house has appreciated more than 10% a year. in the heart of the village there is a kroger, a wine/food merchant, yarn boutique, antique shop, natural foods, an excellent butcher, etc. also located right next to indian hills where you can ride hills till your legs fall off and there is a big cycling community)

Mariemont (similar to Madeira, but has some rigid guidelines in terms of what color you can paint your house I've heard. historic and lots of attractive houses with style. probably not alot of land space though. you could get something nice though, but you won't be able to have an acre)

Mason (don't know much about it other than it's booming, pretty good schools. but there is a huge shopping area that feels metropolitian. wal-mart included)

West Chester (pretty much same as Mason)

Blue Ash (near Kenwood, rroof can tell you more about schools, nice houses close to everything, etc. not far from indian hills and most other things. probably get more yard space then mariemont and bigger homes, though don't quote me on that)

Kenwood (very similar to blue ash, and near it)

Milford (good schools, just a little more remote. not far from indian hills though, depending where you end up. we ride out there alot you could probably buy alot for 300K. my husband and I are looking there because he wants a huge garage and I want an alpaca)

Loveland (similar to milford, good schools, and lots of good riding out there. the old loveland is neat and is right on the bike trail. there you can also have more privacy, space, etc depending where you end up)

Wyoming (big gorgeous homes, with good schools I think. i know the taxes are high and it's kind of expensive I think. sure is beautiful though and historic. Mark In Cin lives there an can tell you more)

the areas I didn't tell you about are hyde park, Mt Lookout, Oakley, etc because it seems that most of the kids that live in those areas goes to private schools. They are really cool communities though for sure--big gorgeous homes. not sure how much 300K would buy though...

anyway--happy shopping!! i'm sure the others will have more to say.
Last edited by: kittycat: Sep 21, 05 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Thanks for all the info. I will be working out of my house, and going to the airport every couple of weeks, so location (job wise) is not an issue.

Thanks, I will get back to you guys with additional questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are moving to the midwest operations center for Slowtwitch.

Quote | Reply
I live in Anderson. Great public schools here too. Lots of nice neighborhoods in your price range too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - pretty soon we will start making billboards for ST members in Cincy. I did a lot of research when I moved here and made 1 mistake. PM me for sure. Schools were my #1 priority as well. I initially ended up in West Chester, but don't go there (Mason is only marginally better as the schools are better). Can get a lot of house for 200-300K, but far from everything, big schools with questionable future, bad traffic, etc. A long haul to the airport too. Look carefully at Wyoming and the Sycamore School district (Blue Ash/Montgomery). The only problem with Blue Ash (my choice and home) is your price range (no man's land). There are lots of homes under 200K, (but they are small and probably not what you are looking for), but most "nicer" homes here will be over 400-500. New homes are 500-750. I do have an AWESOME realtor that I would recommend. Madeira is also a good school district with a lot more homes in that range. Forget Indian Hill as you can't get anything reasonable for under 1 million (there are homes over 5-9 million there!), but the schools are good. Great bike riding through there that I do at least twice a week though :)

Blue Ash was ranked twice recently as a top 50 places to raise a family in the U.S. (one of the highest rankings in the entire midwest region). I'll find a link so you can read about it after you PM me :)

Last edited by: rroof: Sep 21, 05 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: Cincy folks - advice please [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My folks live in Mason. Both my brother and sister went to high school there and the schools are great. There are a lot of professionals living in the area. It's easy to get to the airport (CVG) from their because you are so close to the highway. My mom teaches in the sycamore school district, which seems to be pretty well funded. I don't know what you are looking for but I'd recommend these areas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just dug this up:

www.blueash.com Lot of info, including schools, stats and their proud top 50 fabulous places rating link. About 12,500 people live here (70,000 during the day with lots of BIG company white collar buildings like Sara Lee, Ethicon Endosurgery, Toyota, Proctor & Gamble etc.) Shopping centers on the periphery, but not in town (thankfully)

My 2nd choice was:

www.wyoming.oh.us. Older homes, quaint, very good schools (but poor sports if that matters). About 8,300 pop. Surrounding areas not so good though (i.e. other side of the tracks thing as you go east, south or north. Very good location and little traffic.

Last edited by: rroof: Sep 21, 05 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cincy ROCKS!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Cincy folks - advice please [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah you crazy--when are you relocating? :P
Quote Reply