Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uninvited Drafters in DC
Quote | Reply
OK, I know that there have been other threads on this subject, but today's ride got me all pissed off, and I just have to post. I just moved to Arlington VA, and today I was riding at Hains Point (washington DC's version of San Diego's fiesta island--although not quite as good, especially since it is the only place to ride...imagine fiesta island being your only option) But I digress...Since I am just doing 3 mile loops, you end up passing/encountering more cyclists than normal in open road conditions. Today's ride was an easy JRL kind of ride, 20-22 mph...easy. Anyway, this guy decided that I would be his locomotive to pull him around the loop 3 or 4 laps in a row. I turned and gave him a few odd looks accompanied by a disapproving shake of the head, but he was content to just sit there smelling my butt. I am not a drafter. I might ride with others occasionally, but usually it is alongside them; very rarely do I ride with roadies and actually draft. I guess I just like the solitude of riding on my own. So what is the right etiquette? Should I tell the person what I think? I am not a fan of someone I do not know from Adam hanging off my wheel when they were not invited to do so in the first place. Do you guys just hop on other people's wheels without any second thought about it? It wasn't like the guy was late to get somewhere...its a freakin' circle! Being that it was a calm ride, I didn't exactly want to sprint to get rid of the guy. Thoughts....
Quote Reply
Re: Uninvited Drafters in DC [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK, I know that there have been other threads on this subject... Thoughts....
Yes: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flanagan,

Although it is perhaps a bit harsh and will not win you any friends, perhaps the following discourse would have been appropriate.

You: "Do I know you?"

Drafter: "No, I don't know you."

You: "Then how can you possibly know how I ride and if it is even safe to draft off my wheel? How are you making this judgment and what are you basing your decision on?"

Drafter: "Well, you were riding fast and I thought it would be a break to ride in your draft."

You: "Here is why your decision makes me uncomfortable and causes me concern about my own safety about you drafting off my wheel.

First, you did not even have the courtesy or consideration to ride up beside me, and ask if I minded. This tells me you don't know what you are doing and that you are not even remotely aware of the safety issues involved in drafting off another cyclist's wheel. You just took up "residence" behind me. Do you know what I am doing or about to do next? Do you know the purpose of my ride today? Do I know the purpose of your ride today? Are they even compatible? No! You just placed yourself in a potentially unsafe position and potentially have endangered me as well. I am not very keen on this in the least. At the other extreme, I think you have a very careless attitude to do this and this also concerns me and warns me that I am in greater danger with you drafting off my wheel."

Second, I don't know you. I don't know how you ride. Do you know how I ride? How could you? What makes you think you can ride safely behind someone you don't know and don't know how that someone rides?

Third, this is the purpose of my ride today (tell him). I was focused on that purpose and wish to continue to be focused on that purpose. However, after you started drafting off my wheel, I have lost that focus and now I am focused on my own safety. I wish to return to my original focus and purpose of my ride. Please stop drafting off me!"

If you desire to be more of an "a**hole" (as some refer to cyclists who do this) you may suggest he join the local bicycling club to learn and practice group riding (paceline) skills and become familiar with other cyclists and their riding styles. and the safety issues involved in drafting off another cyclist's wheel. You may then reply, "today, I am not interested in conducting this kind of a tutorial."

Caution: Be forewarned, this "friendly" attitude will not win you any friends.

You are probably not interested in such a long conversation while riding. However, after a conversation of this nature, the drafter will get the message unless he is just plain dense/dumb/dangerous beyond belief.

If he does not leave, you have five choices.

One, ride him off your wheel, if this is a training opportunity you wish to take on.

Two, slow down for a bit and cause him to ride around you.

Three, stop your ride and invite him to ride on. Think of it as a Phil Leggitt "nature break." It doesn't have to be any more disruptive of your ride than a trip to the bathroom to make yourself more comfortable.

Four, inform him it is now his turn to pull.

Five, let him remain there. In my book, five is not an option.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Last edited by: Wants2rideFast: Sep 21, 05 1:56
Quote Reply
Re: Uninvited Drafters in DC [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I like the, "it's your turn to pull" comment, it makes you appear polite but the ability to be an asshole is obvious in your comment (and I don't mean that in a bad way).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, If you ignore him you'll soon forget hes even their. Just do your ride and forget about him.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had that happen at Hain's Point several times before, so my guess is that the roadies there just draft like this regularly. I would swing off and have it look like the other guy should take a pull. Then just take the longer loop to get rid of him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, get over it. Unless he is riding crazy, just do you thing and shut up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ride. Who cares?

I sometimes wonder whether these posts are actually more on the topic of "My easy rides are at an average of 20-22mph. What is your's?"
Quote Reply
Re: Uninvited Drafters in DC [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow... why don't you go ahead and quote him sections from "War and Peace" while you're at it ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey fellow fish... I feel the same way a lot of times... I might be thinking of getting into draft legal but I still see this sport as a "race of truth" and thus find drafting an annoyance and for the weak (when done in training). What i do when this happens is a) wait for the next interval to start and then drop them b) start piloting the bike in a very erratic way ;-) or c) start going REALLY slow

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Uninvited Drafters in DC [Bobby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. 22 mph? pffft. that's hardly enough to draft /rolleyes. oh never mind, that was your 'easy' day. way to swing the e-penis.

The front wheel always loses. Your safe, its him that would be in trouble.

-zakk

Death Squad Cycling Club
http://www.ridethedeath.com

"Why is that people will drop $2000 on race wheels and a few c-notes for an ugly tattoo and then balk at the race fee?" - Blackie
Quote Reply
Re: Uninvited Drafters in DC [zakk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LMAO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20-22 mph is your "easy" day? Shit, I call those days my "OFF" days. My track stands are faster than that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flanagan, were you riding a time trial bike or a road bike (aerobars)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treat it like a loose dog.
Drop down into a sprint and drop him. Plan and simple.

If he's still back there when your legs tire, pull aside to indicate its his turn to pull.

This is not a big deal. If you are holding 20 to 22 easily, as you put it, you should be able to sprint into the high 20's, low 30's and drop him. If he's able to stay on, then he's a decent cyclist and is just messing with you to see how you react...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple solution--- Drop down into the 53x11, sit up and ride with with no hands, and cruise at 25 MPH with a low and relaxed cadence until you drop him. Not only do you lose a drafter, you've also confused him and possibly broken his spirit for life. That's worth going anaerobic for a little while.

I really did used to do this in my younger days on the W&OD trail. (Yes, I was a dick back then. I admit it. No need for anyone to lambast me.) I think guys at Haines Point usually group up into big packs, so you might want to consider going easy on the guy and just discussing it with him.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you might need the WAAAmbulance bud.

Good Lord, the things people find to whine about sometimes drive me insane.

You're on a bike. You're healthy. You're out having fun. Did you hear about what happened in New Orleans a few weeks ago?

I'd suggest that you need some perspective. If the guy's bothering you, look inside yourself. If you have a problem, the problem lies within you. Accept the situation or do something about it. Pull over. Would that have killed you? Ask the guy to not draft. Would that have killed you?

Waaa...waaaa...waaa

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Uninvited Drafters in DC [zakk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front wheel always loses. Your safe, its him that would be in trouble.
-zakk

You're sure?

I am pretty sure he would try to sue your ass if he would go down and sustain significant injuries or damage to his bike.

And sure, this kind of lawsuits NEVER happen in this country.

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Uninvited Drafters in DC [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is he going to sue? That guy with the helmet wearing the black shorts?

PS: If you wanted to go easy, why not keep slowing down until
he passed?
Last edited by: kdw: Sep 21, 05 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: Uninvited Drafters in DC [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well then, don't step foot out of our house! you might accidently kill some one who is running across your lawn while your watering your flowers!

If someone decides to draft me, fine. I've seen what happens to front wheels who can't handle their bike in a 28 mph pace line.

-zakk

Death Squad Cycling Club
http://www.ridethedeath.com

"Why is that people will drop $2000 on race wheels and a few c-notes for an ugly tattoo and then balk at the race fee?" - Blackie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just whip it out and take a piss - the other will drop off.

If it is an "easy" day I just sit up and let them go by - don't want some unknown person on my wheel for safety issues although the guy in back is usually the one to go down. If it is not an easy day then I might make it painful to draft and proceed on with intervals, medium endurance or whatever it is for that day and not let if affect my planned workout. I may say hi and announce what I am doing/workout plan and see if the guy looks like he knows what he is doing and wants to join or if he is wanker. Most of the time people seem to be in competitve mode and do not want to talk - what's up with that? If it is a hot chick I might alter the workout plan...........
Quote Reply