Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck- Maybe you meant to say this DOES happen in all the other sports too? Check out what is happening right now at road worlds in Madrid politically (check out procycling.com). Also, the UCI protour did lock horns with the tour, giro, and vuelta orgnaizers this year in a major way. Politics is politics. I agree it would be better if everyone worked TOGETHER though, democrats and republicans too, but I'm not holding my breath.
Quote Reply
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Les has been an antagonistic SOB right out of the gate when ITU was formed (or just about to be formed). He had a bee up his ass about any race that had “World” and/or “Championship” in their title. My memory is bad… Did not the ITU threaten pros years ago about not entering a race that had “World” and/or “Championship” (Gold Coast maybe?) and if they did so they would be banned from racing any ITU races in the future? This was back in the Scott T, Erin B, Scott M, Mark area? A few pros said “screw ya”… and went anyway, but a number back off and did not race.

I am from the old school… The ITU (and earlier versions of the same) sold the sole of our sport out to the Olympic movement. They prostituted the sport to enable it to show its version of triathlon once every 4 years. Instead for working with the WTC for the further development of triathlon the ITU has taken the WTC on (and lost) on a few occasions.

Ben: You don’t need them. The GTG in its infancy (with its growing pains and warts included) is far better than what the ITU has to offer WTC events. I had the privilege of sitting in on a Jimmy R’s marshalling briefing at one event and Roch’s pro briefing at another event this year and the basic premises and intent of the of the GTG rules are right on the money. You have in place rules that are fair, enforceable and take into account the unique circumstances of WTC events.

Dan: I would pay money to read another one of your classic Les MacDonald phone interviews… censor free. Would read like a Deadwood script.

Shawn

Shawn Skene
Quote Reply
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, did anybody see this post on duathlon.com's website? It is from Mike Plumb:

"not sure where you are getting your information, but you are wrong. Someone earlier alluded to WTC and ITU going to court over naming Hawaii the "World Championships". They did, and you might want to check the facts. ITU won that case. Being the world governing body for the sport of triathlon, they and only they can officially designate a specific race as a world championship. Once the precedent was set in court, ITU and WTC came to an out of court agreement that they (WTC) could continue to use the "world championship" designation because the ITU had no plans of offering a iron distance world championship. I don't know about you, but that sounds like trying to coexist to me. "

This guy is a USAT board member. How could he be so far in a hole. ITU won? eh? so they signed away all their rights? that doesn't sound like winning to me!

If you want to read the whole plumb post, go to: http://www.duathlon.com/articles/3947 and scroll down.

This guy is a board member, and he is clearly a biased mullet head. He has no business being on the USAT board. Check YOUR facts PLUMB!
Quote Reply
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [jeffborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey Jeff B. You are right on the money. Lets face it, Ironman Built this sport. Tell anyone that you competed in a triathlon, and try not to use the "I" word.

USAT should pay their respects and quit acting like a bunch of ITU thugs.
Quote Reply
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [john90210aa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could not agree more. I am in this sport because of watching Julie moss crawl to the finish line in the IM.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, yes, the ITU (i.e., Les) hasn't changed a bit in 10 years.

Back in the dark ages I put up a web page chronicling various ITU goings-on that were utterly infuriating at the time. Kind of interesting to look back at it now, just to realize how consistent the pattern of sleazy behavior has been:

http://www.stanford.edu/...ntitu/antidraft.html

The more things change...

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [TriBaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trybaby - thank, I love reading old stuff like this.

Off subject - I wonder if anyone can name all of the Pro/elite groups that were formed to unite the Professional athletes. Seems in the 80's and 90's that a new group was trying to get the pro athletes organized about every 2-3 years. Z
Quote Reply
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [TriBaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep... I've been reading posts and listening to bitch sessions about Les (and drafting) since day one (remember the early RST days?) ...

And, yet... the man lives on... makes ya' wonder why sometimes.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing will change until Les is removed from the ITU, and we have two chances of that happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowman. Your new article on this topic. Under WTC negatives, "why can't they just get along? Everyone else can..." Are you kidding us? There are tons of deadbodies buried in Les's backyard. How many races has he threatened over time? Not to mention, even in our own NF, how many events DON'T sanction with USAT? Jack C. sure as hell doesn't!

You are looking too hard for points.
Quote Reply
Re: For those sport's governance junkies: there's WTC/USAT/ITU sex... [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Good point. I say this with the utmost respect, but it seems the elite and pro triathletes are a bit passive on this front - both the ITU group and the group that tends to race the independant and Ironman circut. I am not sure why this is. Both groups should have issues with the race managment groups that they have to deal with( the ITU and for long coursers, the WTC), but for the most part their is silence on the part of the athletes.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowman. Rumor has it that Mark Sisson was the one who sent you the agreement, or you asked it from him. he brokered all the deal points, stated in your post, therefore he had to have access to it.

Les screwed him and he has stated that he wants to run for 2008 ITU president.

That was your guy. SIsson is stiring up shit for les.

Also, in your article, "Gilbert said the agreement was oral". Come on, you expect us to believe that Les told everyone this thing was an oral agreement, the oral agreement that led to the stopping of a federal lawsuit that the WTC had filed?

???????

Skip is gaming YOU!
Quote Reply

Prev Next