Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weightloss Concern
Quote | Reply
For the first 18 weeks of my IM training my weight has stayed at 159lbs +/- 1lbs, body fat of 5.0% +/- 0.3, and water weight of 70% +/- 4; but over the last week my weight has nose-dived to 156 while my body fat and water weight have stayed nearly the same. I'm 6'0" with a naturally slight frame. This is the heart of my IM training, so maybe I should expect the weightloss, but where is the weight coming from? Am I losing muscle mass?

For the docs that will ask: I'm eating about 3500-4000 calories per day, supplementing my protein intake to be about 1g protein per lbs of weight, eat lots of fruits and veggies, drink ~4 bottles of water during the day and nurse a jug of water at night, don't eat sweets, and have no digestive system problems.

Any thoughts besides telling me to go see a doctor?
Quote Reply
Re: Weightloss Concern [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
weight has stayed at 159lbs ... but over the last week my weight has nose-dived to 156
I'm no doctor, but I'd say that a 3-pound loss is not a "nose-dive", and doubt that your body-fat calculation is as accurate as you claim (+/- 0.3).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't seem like too big a drop to me. I'm also 6'0", 154lbs. But I often see weights ranging from 151 - 158 on my Tanita scale depending on time of day, whether I've just eaten, time between meals, if it's after a workout, whether I've used the bathroom, how much water I've been drinking, etc.

--Marcus George
UCLA Triathlon
http://www.triathlon.ucla.edu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three pounds doesn't sound like a "nose-dive", more of a flucuation. If it gets worse, consider a thyroid check. A friend here had a dramatic weight loss, and found he was hyperthyroid (utimately diagnosed as Grave's Disease). He, however, was consuming 5-6000 calories/day, and losing 4-5 pounds per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am skeptical of the % bodyfat that you report. Keep in mind the very best methods of estimating bf have an error of +/- 3%. If you are using a tanita type scale, your hydration level can severely impact the results.

Also, even very thin people, say 10%bf @ 159lbs have 15.9 lbs of bf which represents 55,650 calories. Your metabolism gets cranked up after all of your training and your start to burn much of this reserve for recovery.

I would say not to worry, accept it as a natural fluctuation, but keep your eye on your trend.
Quote Reply
Re: Weightloss Concern [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The kinesiology department here at MSU loves having triathletes in their studies. So we have access to caliper tests and the bod pod once a week, and the rest of the week the fancy impedance scales are ours to use. So I'm pretty comfortable with the numebrs quoted.

I only have access to the lab techs though, and they haven't had any insight into my weightloss- but oddly, are the ones who mentioned it to me as a concern- hence my post.
Quote Reply
Re: Weightloss Concern [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to see a reply from you. I didn't know the fat reserve continued to be used for recovery. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, what are your numbers from all of these different methods? How well do they agree?

None of the methods you stated metioned UWW or better yet, DXA. Do you have access to those?

Another thought, ask a nutritionist to confirm this, but if you are truly burning protein as an energy source (thus catabolising muscle) your urine can be pretty dark/yellow and you may smell an ammonia smell from urine and sweat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's not affecting your performance, stop being so hypersensitive about your weight. The only number that matters is your race time.

I think you're eating too healthy. Supplement your current diet with a big mac every night before bed. :)
Last edited by: as2k: Sep 20, 05 10:30
Quote Reply