Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

URGENT HELP needed - On topic
Quote | Reply
My entire upper back just went into full cramp! It is hard and painful to breath and move. I have only had this happen once before and it laid me up for a couple of days.

Can any one tell me what o do for this?

I think this may be a slow twitch related injury - bad posture at he computer...

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: URGENT HELP needed - On topic [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you being serious?

If you are, well, Hmmmm...

Potassium depletion? Sodium depletion? Has it been warm out where you are training? Hydration levels? Change in handlebar set-up or swim routine? Did you sleep bad (in an awkward position)?

If it is really bad you know what to do.... off to the doctor with you.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: URGENT HELP needed - On topic [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unfortunately I am very serious. The worst of it appears to be over now, but it still feels like I have two large knives in my back.

I only went for a short tempo run yesterday, and although my hydration has not been great, it has been worse. All that I can think of is that i was watching a movie while sitting on the floor last night that may have fatigued the muscles.

Got up feeling fine, came down to my office to read the latest posts, then got up to get a cup of coffee and WHAM! Like a vice closing between my shoulder blades.

I took some ibuprofin, but what else is there to do? I think that I will try a hot shower too.

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe a subluxation of a vertebral block
Quote Reply
Re: URGENT HELP needed - On topic [remi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what that means

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: URGENT HELP needed - On topic [remi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigsky -

See my other post re sports doc. That sounds a lot like disc to me. When my discs herniate, it causes spasms that really sound like the cramping. The first time it happened, I thought it was muscular, but that is only the reaction (spasm) to the herniation or pinch. And yes, it can happen doing nothing at all. Mine happened once while yawning. I was one of the many who made fun of Sammy Sosa for getting spasms when he sneezed a couple of years ago. Never again. Go see a doc. Good luck.

http://thechuckblog.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Herniation Boy: Sep 20, 05 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happens to me quite often and my awesome chiropractor is the only person who can fix me up. I do not know the scientific words for it, but essentially one or more ribs in my upper back "come out". It feels like knives are stuck in your upper back. Your muscles in the area and all the way up to your shoulders and neck stiffen up to protect the area. There are many times when I can't even more my neck. A simple adjustment at the chiropractor fixes it up right away. Sometimes the area is so tight, that the adjustment can't be made. In that case, I sometimes go for a massage first and then an adjustment.

The key, though, is to find a good chiropractor. It's hard to find a good one. I've been to a few duds who do nothing and I get no relief. I've now found a great clinic that has 3 amazing chiropractors (in Toronto). Ask people for recommendations before you go anywhere.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my 2 cents. Don't assume the worst just yet. Could just be a massive muscle cramp. There's SOOO many muscle goups in the back that it may be hard pinpoint the exact problem. But before you run to the MD, Chiropractor, acupunturist, or anything like that, try;

HEAT - heat relaxes & softens the muscle. Wet heat is best. So, hot shower, or heating pad/hot water bottle type device. You can create your own wet heat; soak a washcloth & microwave it for a minute - then wrap it so you don't scorch yourself. 10 minutes of heat, at least.

MASSAGE - NOT deep massage. Massage warm & lengthen the muscles. Ask them to stretch you, too.

STRETCH - Slow, sustained stretch. Don't push it. Hang onto a door jamb with both hands at shoulder height and just lean back - also drop you head to your chest to lengthen back of neck.

IBUPROFIN? - Mebbe Alieve is better, it's more of a muscle relaxer as opposed to the anti-inflammatory ibuprofin. But either can help.

Could be a dehydration thing, too - so increase your water & electolyte intake, (gatorade, propel, etc)

If none of that works - than it's probably not a soft tissue problem, and seek more help.

But try the simplest solution first, before spending tons of $$ on doctor appointments.

feel better!
Quote Reply