Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone do the Grand Columbian this weekend?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a late season half with cooler temperatures and this looks promising. I've read about the hilly bike, any other thoughts?

thx :)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do the Grand Columbian this weekend? [mcastle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the 1/2. The bike was brutal!!!! Toughest bike course I've been on. Headwinds were not an issue like they were last year, so times were faster. Great race, very well organized for a small race, lots of positive vibe from the community. What other race serves smoked salmon and fresh fruit and pasta at the after race buffet?

I'll do it again just to conquer the demons of having a good swim and bike but an unbelievably bad run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my training/traveling partners did for the second year and just raved about it, as did one of my clubmates. They will both be back.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks for the feedback. I see lots of hill repeats in my future :)

mcastle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo on this forum was second OV at the half after being directed off course on the bike.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did this race this weekend and loved it. It's a true test of fitness. The bike course is in fact quite difficult and we had very little wind. Run is on a nice fire road, so easier on the body. Great local support and picturesque venue. That said, your probably not going to PR here.

Other races to consider include Pacific Crest (beware of altitude) and Black Diamond (thought the course is not that scenic)
Last edited by: bryanjaf: Sep 19, 05 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I did the full Iron. I highly recommend this event. The race director, Jonathan is very responsive to any suggestions and inquiries. This is not a cookie cutter event with all the hoopla that surrounds many of the IMNA events. If you want to test youself against 2.4/112/26.2 and not have to worry about masses of others or crashes in the "peleton" this is a good choice.

The swim is in crystal clear Banks lake. It's well marked with bouys every 100 yards or so. Water temp was 64 degrees.

The bike was challanging but not outrageous. If you're mentally prepared it's okay. About 1 mile after exiting T1 there's a serious climb. Something like 900 feet over 1.25 miles. Thereafter you get some pretty good rollers and a stretch of 10 miles at a 1 -2% continuous grade. That's just enough to slow you a mile or 2 per hour. Kind of makes you wonder if a brake is rubbing.

The run is flat on a packed gravel road. In fact I ran the whole 26.2 in racing flats without my orthotics (that's another story) and didn't have any post race aches or knee pain. The surface is that forgiving.

Voluteers were outstanding. I got the feeling these folks really took their task seriously. I felt well attended to at all stages of the race.

There's not much in Grand Coulee or the surrounding area so family will probably be bored. I traveled solo and had a great time with the other competitors and wasn't distracted by other factors. Like I said, this is a great event if you want to test yourself against the distance. If you want a huge expo, tons of restaurants, and cookie cutter choose MOO. If you want small, a true test of your abilities, and a definite personal feel, The Grand Columbian may be for you. Personally, I'd do this event again - no question.

Hans in WI
Last edited by: hansps: Sep 20, 05 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do the Grand Columbian this weekend? [hansps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is plenty for the family, at least a couple of days worth. Grand Coulee Dam is pretty cool and they have that laser light show on the dam at night that is nice. Then there's Dry Falls which isn't too far from Banks Lake. Very very cool. A 400 foot dry fall that once was the largest known waterfall in the world. I could easily spend a day there. There are quite a few other outdoor recreational activities in the area.

What is lacking is restaurants and other city activities. After the race though you can drive south and enjoy the wineries in Yakima though the kids probably don't appreciate it much.

John
Quote Reply