Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMMoo DNFer now signed up IMFL in 7 weeks: needs advice about IMFL
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,
I posted a week ago about my experience DNFing IMMoo. I just bumped it to give people my update. Basically I had heat stroke, passed out on bike at mile 110 and just tipped over, but still finished bike and got taken to hospital.
Anyway, given my work, I will not be able to train for next couple of years, so I wanted to get this first IM under my belt (and out of my system) and claimed a community slot at IMFL in 7 weeks. Since I have been preparing for IMMoo for a whole year, I know nothing about IMFL and wanted to ask for people's advice. thanks in advance for any help, especially from previous IMFL finishers.

1. logistics -- I assume most of the IMNA events are very similar, so I should know what to expect.
-- this is Saturday race, and race meeting, unlike Moo is night before instead of two nights before;
-- temperature -- I see the website's statement; how was the weather last few years; nothing like 90F, I hope
-- wind -- they said this is a factor?

2. swim -- I have only swum in ocean once, and won't have chance to do it before that weekend
-- water temp -- I'm assuming low 70s; will go with sleeveless again;
-- wavy -- is this going to be too much of a problem? is there a special approach to this type of swimming? should I expect to swim faster on the way back to beach than going out?
-- mass start -- there was much talk about mass start being a night mare before IMMoo; is this any different at IMFL? I did 1:21 at Moo, did okay by starting right of ski jump;
-- salt -- I see there are showers after the suit strippers; how careful do I need to be to get off salt; I mean is this going to be really bothersome later on?
-- sand -- I assume we can rinse off sand somewhere and don't have to carry personal tubs in T1

3. bike
-- profile-- I know it's not completely flat; I assume 12-23 gear is fine =)
-- wheels -- I am going with hed3 front and rear again; website mention wind may be a factor; I am 5'7", 133 pounds; I thought I handled the IMMoo last weekend okay (I hear it was 15mph with gust to 30mph);
-- how fast do you think I should bike? In my confused state, I actually finished IMMoo bike portion, time was 6:10:00; corresponding time, similarly placed in 2004 IMFL is around 5:20; since my goal this time is to ensure I finish, maybe I can aim for a 20mph pace (5:36), if weather is good; what do you think?

4. run
-- transition -- people say after a whole bike course in aero position, it's tough to start the run; any particular advice to ward off this? I've heard I should get out of saddle a bit last mile or two of bike; or is this not a problem at all?

thanks for reading! sorry for the long post; this is kind of like a whole year of research for one race condense into one post; good luck, folks!

-lewis
Last edited by: lshi: Sep 18, 05 21:58
Quote Reply
Re: IMMoo DNFer now signed up IMFL in 7 weeks: needs advice about IMFL [lshi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have an actual clinically-diagnosed heat stroke? If so, you shouldn't be doing this race. You've had a serious, severe heat injury and your thermoregulatory systems will not be in a good enough state of homeostasis to allow you to safely run that race.

That said, if you didn't have a real heat stroke (hot/dry skin, weak and thready pulse, high core temperature of 102-104 degrees F or above etc.), you might have just had a bout of heat exhaustion, which is probably more likely. If so, then you could probably do the race and complete it. You just have to make absolutely sure that you're drinking enough fluids, pacing yourself properly and not going hogwild on the bike or run in order to prove some amorphous point to yourself about completing an Ironman. It just ain't worth it.

My advice: If able, do the race. Enjoy the day and treat the three legs as a sort of long, very aerobic training day. Don't get overstressed by anything you might see or do out there and dig on the fact that you'll very shortly be able to call yourself an Ironman(tm) ;-)

There's an old joke we used to tell about medical school graduates which kind of illustrates my point about becoming an Ironman: "What do you call the guy who finishes last in his medical school class?" "DOCTOR". Same for Ironman. Whether you finish it in 8 hours or 17 hours, you're still gonna be one, so enjoy just showing up and doing the race.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: IMMoo DNFer now signed up IMFL in 7 weeks: needs advice about IMFL [lshi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good questions. Based on my experiences there, I'll give you some highlights.

I'm also assuming you had heat exhaustion and not a heat stroke. If you had a heat stroke, you have no business trying an event like this again this soon.

There are no hills at IMFL. None. Only a couple of bridge/water overpasses. Don't let this mislead you. The bike is still tough as you must keep constant pressure on the pedals for the entire ride. There is no recovery time. There are no descents where you can glide, recover, and let your heartrate drop to idle levels. If you glide or stop pedaling at IMFL, you'll drop to 12 mph w/i 50 yards. So, you have to keep constant presure on the pedals. When you get to the run, you will realize your legs never stopped pedaling for the last 5.5 hours. Sounds like you could hold 20 mph. I would not try to go too much above that goal pace.

Also, you are going to hit a head wind. No doubt about it. A good low aero position really, really helps here. Just be careful that you are not pounding the pedals trying to hold some crazy pace when fighting the winds and you'll be fine.

Salt and sand is not an issue. Gulf beaches have very fine white sand, it rinses right off. Water is usually flat on race day, but can be very, very rough the days leading into race day. Its an active tropic storm season. If the water is rough, get there a day early and practice the "surfer's dive through waves." Once you clear the waves, its usually pretty smooth swimming. Otherwise, the swim is very enjoyable at IMFL.

Air temps should be in the low 70's for the run. (should be.)

have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a lot of questions. I'll try to answer a few.

Weather-could be just about anything from cool rain to hot sun. Take appropriate clothes. It can cool down after dark as well so put a light jacket in your special needs bag.

Water-Again, could be flat as a pancake or have some rollers. You may have to sight bouys more often. Despite a wide area for mass swim start, I got pummeled the first half mile. You should be fine with sleeveless. Afteward make sure you rinse off salt and get sand out of your shorts, especially if you don't plan on changing.

Bike-usually some wind but it is mostly flat, easier to get a good pace going even with wind. Go with what is comfortable pace-wise but remember the race doesn't start until 80 miles into the bike. Save some for run. I would get out of the saddle a bit and stretch from time to time throughout the ride. It can pay off in the run.

Run-gets dark early so it should be cooler regardless. Flat, flat, flat. The year I did it we had a lunar eclipse. That was cool.

And...once you've suffered from heat exhaustion (which I've had) and/or stroke, I believe you become more succeptible in the future so be extra careful and don't push too hard.

Good luck. I hope to do IMFL again soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. logistics --

I enjoy flying to Ft. Walton Beach as it offers jet service. PCB airport is fine, but usually your bike will be on the next flight die to weight restrictions. Some folks are luckier than others. VERY easy to find a room. I assume most of the IMNA events are very similar, so I should know what to expect.

-- wind -- they said this is a factor?

Could be, but hasn't been the past 4 years. Although it did rain in 2002. Pretty much a round course.

2. swim

Salt water is more bouyant. Some like it, some don't. Personally, the salt water drives me nuts as I feel like I'm licking a bag of chips for an hour. Current can also be a factor. Rinse off (in the showers) running to T1 to avoid salt running in your face of the bike. Try to avoid the jellyfish!! (2003)

3. bike

Ride your H3. Get a disc if you can. Stand up every 10 or so miles to stretch the back..more SURE you have a comfy aero position. You'll pass 100 people on the overpass with your Moo training. Tough to talk about pace because it really comes down to how fast you can run afterwards.

4. run

In the last 5 minutes...back pedal (slowly) and stand-up to stretch out the legs. Settle down and think about running.

I raced Moo and FL in 2003 and had a blast at FL.......minus the jellyfish at the Gatorade swims, of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4. run
-- transition -- people say after a whole bike course in aero position, it's tough to start the run; any particular advice to ward off this? I've heard I should get out of saddle a bit last mile or two of bike; or is this not a problem at all

----

I set my watch to go off every 20 minutes and I stood up and pedaled for 30 seconds. (It also reminded me to be sure I was taking in enough calories.) Somebody gave me that tip before IMFL due to the super flat course. I think it helped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't had a Doctor check you out since the heat incident (including blood panels) PLEASE have this done before IMF. IM is not going anywhere (yes I know you have future job things) and I understand the desire to go finish something you started, but please take your health seriously. Dehydration and heat incidents are NO JOKE.

all that being said, and you are cleared to race go live in the moment and listen to your body. If truly finishing IM is your only desire, don't set any specific time limits in your head, just go see how the body holds up. If you go out to race it you could easily end up as a DNF again (why do you think so many Pros end up there--they push the limit). If you are willing to take that kind of gamble, accept it ahead of time in your head. Either go with the mentality of racing or of finishing. I think something in the middle can exist as long as you are strong enough to slow yourself down. Finishing an iron is hard, but not nearly anything compared to racing. With the flatter course you might be able to push harder, just don't over do it--its still 140 miles, the .6 you will float.

Coolest thing ever said to me when I was facing a DNF for pushing things too hard:

you gamble big you win big, or you can lose big. Just don't let it be at the risk of your health.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you got tons of great replies, but here's my 2 cents;

Did IMFL in '02. It was cool, but had big swells in the swim. It was a slow one for me. Just sight often. Sleeveless wetsuit was perfect. I didn't have an issue w/ salt residue, but keep a water bottle to rinse off in t1, if you're really worried.

Bike was deceptive. I didn't preview the entire course. Do that if you have time, it's always a good idea! I found that on the long section that heads east, it seemed like there were endless false flats. No hills, but gentle rises in the road - be mentally prepared. It rained when I was on the bike, but that made me go faster. Go figure. And yeah, switch up your position, esp. at the end. Get out of the saddle and stretch out.

Run was great - flat & super spectator friendly. They even had hot chocolate near the turnaround!

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: IMMoo DNFer now signed up IMFL in 7 weeks: needs advice about IMFL [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Multisports camp this weekend and wanted to give you my opinion of the bike course. I agree that it is generally flat but there are a few rolling hills on Hwy 79 and Hwy 20 between miles 20 and 56. Nothing severe but just like the overpass at mile 12 and mile 100. On the way back south there are a few more rollers similar to miles 30 to 50. Then from mile 85 to 100 there is a right hand turn on w Hwy 388 down a fairly rough section of the road. The road does have some patched sections that make it a bit smooter but it is the worst section of the course. At mile 100 you cross the overpass again and it is flat and smooth all the way back in.

Vanilla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to disagree about the bike course at IMF being totally flat. There are small rises that go on for long periods of time. If you don't notice them visually, your heart and legs will. Personally, I found the Florida bike course more difficult than the Lake Placid one specifically because you can't coast and there aren't significant downhills to give your legs a break.

The 12-23 should be fine but given the (good) chance that you'll encounter nice tailwinds on flats, the 11 would be nice to have, too. I'd ride a disc if possible, even a bean pole like you should be able to wrangle it fine.

The swim can be glass calm or have rollers, but its not like northern surf at all.

Overall, times are much much faster at Florida than a lot of other races. Dev posted a comparison on the number of 9 hour finishers between that and some other races, a fast bike split is a real possibility. If you happen to be lagging behind though, it can get cool in the evening as it gets dark earlier in November.

Plenty of tattoo parlors for that m-dot nearby, too...

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply