Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Reason Is Now Clear
Quote | Reply
When I decided to get back into racing I thought about joining the local tri club but heard bad things about it from a few triathletes I met on group bike rides. My schedule as a college soccer coach who has gone back to school is a bit odd so I train by myself most of the time, so I figured i wouldn't join the club. (On a whim joined a club in England, who I now race for! Great decision) Anyway my decision about the local club was confirmed when after not being listed in the results for the race they sponsor on their webpage I sent and email and was told to contact the race director. I contacted him and he said he saw the mistake and would get the info to the club. A couple of weeks later it still wasn't up (I want my official time and placings as I am going to try and get some sponsors for next season) so I emailed the guy with the club again...no response. Pure class!

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: The Reason Is Now Clear [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dare we ask which club, and which race?
Quote Reply
Re: The Reason Is Now Clear [Bobby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If enough people ask I'll reveal, since this wasn;t actually about calling out the club, just venting on my part.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fair enough....

It's a nice day here - get out on your bike and vent! That will save the name calling
Quote Reply
Re: The Reason Is Now Clear [Bobby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to admit I really want to since there are probably some people from my area on here, maybe some members who might find out what the deal is and try to make some changes to make things better!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rant from former tri club vice-president:

Just remember that "clubs" are run by volunteers. Volunteers who have families, jobs, training schedules of their own, and who DO NOT GET PAID!!! Clubs do not exist for wannabe pro non-members to get their sponsors through. They exist mostly because people of like interests want to get together and train, compete, and have some social interaction. It usually ends up that 2 or 3 people are doing 90% of the work. If you want a good club, join and volunteer some of your precious time to help out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the unpaid president of the club has not told the unpaid webpage guy to take a half hour between his job, kids, wife and training to fix the results of a club race that happened a couple of months ago.

I wouldn't put up with that crap. If I were you, I'd pay my dues and go to the next meeting and offer to be the new volunteer webpage guy for the club. Then I'd fix the website myself.

That'd show em.
Quote Reply
Re: The Reason Is Now Clear [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you missed the point. The guy told me to talk to race director who told me he had told him. The actual race results were not updated. Right now I am not a finisher officially! The guy then had the class to not even respond to my email asking about it. If you can't run a club and a race properly then don't do it, find another volunteer who understands how to act professionally and how to put on a race from start to finish.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clubs like this run on volunteers. If you would like it fixed, volunteer to fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Reason Is Now Clear [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What part of my initial post didn't you understand??? Was it the part about the fact I never joined because I heard about BS like this going on from member of the local tri community? How about the part that this incident just proved to me that I made the right choice? Get off your high horse and learn reading comprehension.

Quote Reply
Re: The Reason Is Now Clear [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with tri_bri2 and Kevin. Let it go, it's really not that big of a deal.
Quote Reply
Re: The Reason Is Now Clear [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you are ok with going out and training hard to get back into the sport, racing and doing very well, but it not being official because some jackass at a triclub does not want to change the results???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So you are ok with going out and training hard to get back into the sport, racing and doing very well, but it not being official because some jackass at a triclub does not want to change the results???
Sounds like there might be two jackasses involved so yes, I agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, you consider yourself "involved" by posting once???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted twice. Don't rush the counting thing, it'll come to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I tend to find you to be pretty irrelavent overall.

Get your last word in, I'm through with your middle school mentality.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, I'll let you have the last word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...some jackass at a triclub does not want to change the results??? "

Your initial post did not say the club did not want to change the results, it just said they hadn't changed the results. Maybe the guy in charge of changing them is (a) on vacation; (b) out of town on business; or (c) been called up with the National Guard to Louisiana or Mississippi (or Iraq or Afghanistan).

Give them some time, be polite, and I'm sure they will get it done sooner or later. I think you are being a little bit of a prima donna just because you think you are good enough to go pro.

BTW, my tri club charges $15 a year for membership. If I buy one pair of shoes at the local running shoe store, I make that back on the club discount. Why not join?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...find another volunteer who understands how to act professionally..."

You don't see the oxymoron here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"...find another volunteer who understands how to act professionally..."

You don't see the oxymoron here?

Ouch.. Now that's funny....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, let me take a stab at it. I have a Master's degree in reading comprehension, and I've held the lofty post of racing club volunteer more than once, so perhaps my credentials may help me succeed where others have tried...but apparently failed miserably.

No where in your original post did you say "I heard these guys were jackasses who would never post my race results." You said, "I heard some bad things"...that could mean a lot--and I would say is widely open to interpretation (which is different than comprehension).

And I fail to see, as apparently others do as well, where this incident PROVES anything. Like tri_bri said...maybe the people are on vacation. Maybe they only work on club stuff once a month. Maybe their volunteering elsewhere, working with people who aren't ingrates. Maybe their grandma died, and they just don't have the stomach to get on their email and get back to you yet because your sunny demeanor reminds them so much of her.

Lighten up, dude. A club's a club. A race is a race. Sometimes info gets lost, and dropping everything to fix it b/c of one person's complaint doesn't always come in as a top priority. Besides, if you're good enough to be looking for a sponsor, I'm sure you've got more than one set of race results lined up to send.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][i]"...find another [u]volunteer[/u] who understands how to act [u]professionally[/u]..."[/i]

You don't see the oxymoron here?[/reply]

Apparently you don't understand what professionalism means and whether you have to be paid to act professional. Must be a joy to work with you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, chill out big time! Do you ever think about anybody other than yourself? Look at your motives. It really appears that you just "joined" this club with the intent of using its contacts to get sponsored. Even if that is not the case, and your intents were entirely pure, you still need to take a deep breath, relax, and either focus your energy on training or focus it on promoting yourself to sponsors. By the way, what club race could possibly be the "make it or break it" race that is going to decide whether or not you will be getting sponsored. I would imagine that you probably have some other races with good results if you are good enough to woo sponsors. In fact, I have a great idea: why don't you post some of your results on here. Bottome Line: chill out, let the volunteers be, if you are so good then you will still get sponsored.
Quote Reply
Re: The Reason Is Now Clear [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you people learn to read? I never joined this club, that was one of the main points of the first post. I am amazed at how people will spout off about something without knowing what happened even if it is written in plain English for you.

Quote Reply