Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Side stitch?
Quote | Reply
I did Big Kahuna half yesterday (awesome day, great weather, beautiful course...). I had my usual meltdown on the run. This was characterized by a painful side stitch under my right lung, usually induced by running downhill.

Does anyone have a cure? I'm going great on the swim and bike, and my run pace would be great if I could figure this out. On the bright side, turns out that Asics Gel Nimbus make great walking shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Side stitch? [bigshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably saw you there. My crew and I were there to test-ride and run for Sentinel. We were doing our best to offer encouragement to the runners. What a gorgeous (and typical September in Santa Cruz) day.

Possible cures for side stitch:
1- Make sure you are starting your inhale on your right foot. Something to do with having three lobes on the right lung and only two on the left.
2- Reach for the sky like you're being robbed. This stretches the affected area
3- After reaching for the sky, let your arms hang at your sides, breathe as deeply as possible and do your best to relax.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got these at 2 of the four 1/2 Irons this year. A side stitch is simply a cramp in the diaphragm, and just like any other cramp, the cause is probably not enough electrolytes. I 'solved' my stitches by popping salt tabs on the bike and salting my pre-race fuel drinks.

I currently dissolve 2 endurolytes/bottle of cytomax for the bike, then pop another/bottle of gatorade when I run out of cytomax.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Side stitch? [miker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, that's interesting, as I found I got side stitches when I drank too much gatorade. Once I started switching between gatorade and water, side stitch went away. Your explanation makes more sense though, I guess I'm just a freak of nature.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultimately you have to determine the cause to get the right fix. Often times side stitches are a result of pacing that is ahead of your fitness level. Ingesting too many calories or calories too early can also lead to side stitch problems on the run. Finally, shallow breathing during the swim can cause stitches later down the road.

With some regularity smaller stitches can be alleviated by altering your breathing pattern. What works for me is deeply inhale, hold for 2 - 3 seconds and then slowly exhale. Repeat 3 - 5 times.

Good luck. Stitches suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Side stitch? [trinewbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just proves that what works for me might not work for you. I asked a lot of people for advice on this before I found a protocol that works. A lot of trial and error (and 2+ hour 1/2 IM run splits) and I've finally found a good nutritional foundation for that distance.

It could be not enough salt (my case), too many calories too late in the bike, too much fluid in the stomach, erratic breathing, etc. It does take some experimentation to figure it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Side stitch? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]1- Make sure you are starting your inhale on your right foot. Something to do with having three lobes on the right lung and only two on the left.[/reply]

Interesting tip. When I'm breathing 2-in-2-out I naturally start my inhale on my right foot. On the occasions when I get a mild side stitch I can usually get rid of it by switching to inhale on the left. I think I learned that trick from an earlier thread here.
Quote Reply
Re: Side stitch? [sjstuart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"when I get a mild side stitch I can usually get rid of it by switching to inhale on the left."

I've heard that one, but can't vouch for it personally. It makes sense that changing the pattern could alter physiology.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Side stitch? [miker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A side stitch is simply a cramp in the diaphragm

That maybe true sometimes, but definitely not all (or even most of) the time. Other factors can also cause stitches - this page gives a reasonable summary:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0705.htm
Quote Reply