Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrench Q - Broken Spoke Nipple
Quote | Reply
Noticed my wheel was out of true this afternoon, so I broke out my new truing stand (from Xmas - first use) to try and fix it. I must have been using the wrong size spoke wrench, because I stripped the flats on the spoke nipple (and actually broke off the flats on 2 sides!).

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Q - Broken Spoke Nipple [RoadWarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've got a couple of options. The cheap way to get it is with a pair of vice grips. You can also take the tyre off and get at it from the other side with a thin-bladed slot screwdriver. If you plan on building wheels, you may want to get a spoke nipple driver - essentially a screwdriver that's been tweaked for the purpose.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stripping and breaking nipples is easy if they are aluminum. You should be able to remove the tire, tube, and rim strip and use a straight screwdriver on the end embedded in the rim, assuming a conventional wheel. What kind of wheel is this, anyways?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't want to pull the tire, you can also try the Park version of vice grips:

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=16&item=SW-10

If you're careful you may be able to put off replacing the nipple until there's a convenient time.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Q - Broken Spoke Nipple [Tom Fort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naaa...a stripped nipple needs to go, take them out and replace them.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Q - Broken Spoke Nipple [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai,

I prefer the one that looks like a torpedo and fits in the cordless drill. You set the depth for the spoke end to push the driver blade off the nipple. Boy is this the easy way! No tired wrist with the bent offset screwdriver thingy.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply