Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Susan's Power Cranks
Quote | Reply
It's too soon to tell whether PCs will make me a more powerful and efficient cyclist and runner, but I can say right now that the adaptation has been fast and easy.

I have had my PCs exactly a month. After the first two tentative weeks in which I did longer rides on regular cranks, I began riding my PCs exclusively. Yesterday, I did my longest PC ride to date--60 miles. The first half of it I did with my usual group and had no trouble keeping the pace. The second half I did alone--the group ride was cut short because of hurricane-related issues. My "up" muscles were still working fine at 60 miles, but I decided it would be prudent to stop rather than risk getting stranded alone and out of cell contact.

I initially had the PCs on my TT bike. Although with PCs, a more "open" position is easier at first, I was riding in the aerobars without a problem within 10 days. The PCs are on my road bike now, and I don't feel any difference between being upright and being in the drops. I don't have a cadence meter on my road bike, but my subjective feeling is that my cadence is approaching "normal" now--I'm guessing about 85 rpm.

I have a century ride coming up in two weeks--six weeks after my very first PC workout. I will be doing the century on my PCs, and I fully expect to complete it without any problems.

I had heard stories about how long it takes to adjust, it's a longterm project, you have to be patient, etc.--although there are probably lots of stories like mine, and I either didn't see them or just remembered the "it's so hard" stories. I am posting my experience so people who might be considering buying PCs will know there's a range of responses and that adaptation might be a complete non-issue for them like it has been for me.

Susan
Quote Reply
Re: Susan's Power Cranks [susanherself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Susan, you are obviously a better "upper" than I was. It took me a LONG time to be able to ride 60 miles on PC's, and then, I was toast. PC's REALLY helped my running, and my cycling improved concomitantly...so, I think they helped my cycling, too. My run AFTER the bike improved something like 1 minute per mile faster, all while setting some PR's on the bike split. For someone like me, they are the difference between MOP and the podium. For someone like you, that already seems to have been able to pull up very well, I wonder if you'll show much improvement....it certainly couldn't hurt, of course! And they will certainly show you when you might get tired and quit picking up your foot as much...maybe that's where your biggest benefit will come from. Keep us posted as to whether your race results improve.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Susan's Power Cranks [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titan, I'm thrilled to know that PCs had such a positive impact on your running. That was actually the whole reason I bought them. Running has never been my strong suit, plus I have an ankle injury that's been slow to heal and I have run only intermittently since December and am not running at all right now. Any PC cycling benefits were of only secondary importance to me at first, although I feel differently about that now, because I am seeing a benefit already--although it's completely subjective and unmeasurable. What I noticed within days was that hills seemed easier--what few hills there are where I live. That alone has made PCs worth it to me.

I have wondered if one reason it's been so easy is that my hips and legs are more loosely connected than most people's. When I put the soles of my feet together about 12 inches in front of me, my legs fall open to the floor. When I lean forward from that position, my back stays flat, and if I lay one hand on top of the other in front of my feet, I can rest my forehead there. It's not a stretch; it's just the way my body's put together. As a result, I can ride comfortably in an aggressive aero position for as many hours as I've ever needed to. It doesn't seem to me too far-fetched to think that individual anatomical variations like that might affect PC adaptation, too.

Sorry if that was TMI. I just thought it might be relevant.

And thanks for your kind and encouraging words. I wish you many happy and fast miles on your PCs, too. :)

Susan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my biking has improved in the 3 years I have used PC's. My running feels better, but I have no real proof that I am running better. I have chosen to hammer the bike and hang on during the run so my run splits are so-so. In the shorter races that I have done like Muskoka and any Olympic tri, where the bike is not long enough to trash my running legs, my runs have been good. That being said, I am heavier now than a few years ago, so if I shaved down some weight, perhaps the run times would come down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, you are injured? Well, another GREAT thing that PC's did for me was allow me to train through an achilles injury caused by a bad heel counter in a shoe. As soon as I could run following recovery, I was able to set a half Marathon PR. I also set some 5K PR's that season. PC's have also allowed me to train through a complete plantaris tendon rupture, a partial rupture on the other leg, and just this season, the completed rupture of my previous partial. I've been not running for a couple of months, just this past week I've been finally able to run again, and I'm almost back to my pre-injury speed in only three runs. Maybe running in deep water or some other such training would work as well as PC's for being able to train through my particular injuries, I don't know. I do know that I've never been off running for long periods of time Pre PC training and come back as good or better than before I got hurt.

You sound more like Dev Paul than me. I don't think he had much trouble with adaptation, either. I certainly had to work VERY hard.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 weeks I've been training with Power Cranks and I know now that good things are already happening because tonight on a whim I decided to do some squats--first time in months, due to a back injury. I was amazed when on the first rep, my hips just kept dropping til they were below the level of my knees. I have NEVER been able to squat that deep in my entire life, and it was effortless. I couldn't believe it, so I did a few more--same thing, really easy. I went to the bedroom to do some in front of the full-length mirror, to see if these squats really were as deep as they felt, and yes, my butt was only about a foot from the floor. I stopped at 15, and I didn't use added weight, because I have a century ride on Saturday and I feel really good and I don't want to do anything stupid in these last few days. I did these squats *after* I finished a 45-minute bike ride. And my back didn't hurt either!

I'm sure other people have had this experience, but I wasn't expecting it and am thrilled! I'm thinking there's no point in my ever doing squats again. I'll just ride my bike!

Susan (who is morphing from regular human being into uber cyclist, thanks to PCs)

P.S. Everybody should buy some EXCEPT women in my AG whom I might end up racing against. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Susan, based on your promise it will make me better, I am going to get some PC's on a velotron. Any suggestion on things to watch out for?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]5 weeks I've been training with Power Cranks and I know now that good things are already happening because tonight on a whim I decided to do some squats--first time in months, due to a back injury. I was amazed when on the first rep, my hips just kept dropping til they were below the level of my knees. I have NEVER been able to squat that deep in my entire life, and it was effortless. I couldn't believe it, so I did a few more--same thing, really easy. I went to the bedroom to do some in front of the full-length mirror, to see if these squats really were as deep as they felt, and yes, my butt was only about a foot from the floor. I stopped at 15, and I didn't use added weight, because I have a century ride on Saturday and I feel really good and I don't want to do anything stupid in these last few days. I did these squats *after* I finished a 45-minute bike ride. And my back didn't hurt either!

I'm sure other people have had this experience, but I wasn't expecting it and am thrilled! I'm thinking there's no point in my ever doing squats again. I'll just ride my bike!

Susan (who is morphing from regular human being into uber cyclist, thanks to PCs)

P.S. Everybody should buy some EXCEPT women in my AG whom I might end up racing against. :)[/reply]

Susan,

I sold a pair to Darren Sinclair, the Sugoi rep at all the IM events, who got them for his running after an ACL injury. After 4 weeks I interviewed him for some video and I was amazed he reported improvement in his squats and dead lifts after only 3 weeks. He apparently had some core weakness or imbalance or something else that allowed him to improve dramatically. In squats he was up to 100 reps total at 225 lbs in 4 sets.

Someday, eventually, we will stop finding new outlandish claims to make for this product.

And, Susan, you know the slow twitch motto. We need pictures of you in front of the mirror doing this (in your bedroom, of course) or this really didn't happen. Either that or your seat is too low (or is it too high). I forget which has precedence.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Last edited by: Frank Day: Sep 20, 05 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: Susan's Power Cranks [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Susan, based on your promise it will make me better, I am going to get some PC's on a velotron. Any suggestion on things to watch out for?

Dave[/reply]

I predict you will love the Velotron, when combined with the PC's. It is way beyond of the pocketbook of most but it is an amazingly realistic trainer. Stand by to start seeing Spinscan numbers around 90-95 or so. have "fun"

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more question Susan. Is this the same Susan who can tie herself into little pretzels, but can't do a single squat (at least before PC's)? Eariler I was going to suggest you change your moniker to RubberSusan or something like that. I guess good flexibility doesn't necessarily mean good core strength.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Susan's Power Cranks [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank, I sure hope you are right. I can not believe I am going to sell my CT and spend this much more on a nicer trainer.

But, is it the one with the most toys wins, or you can not take your money with you, or, no way do I want to leave my money to my kids, or, since I can not fly on a plan to hawaii, this is my award? :o)

Now, people said I could not complete an IM on 8 to 10 hours a week of training, but I did. Now, so many say PC's and trainers can not make you a bigger biker. I sure hope I can prove those folks wrong also.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Susan's Power Cranks [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is this the same Susan who can tie herself into little pretzels, but can't do a single squat (at least before PC's)?

I actually considered myself pretty good at squats before the incompetent chiropractor messed up my back. But that was in my life before PCs, when I thought thighs parallel to floor was "good." My standards are higher now.

I'm doing this century ride on Saturday on my PCs.

And yes, I know my seat is too high and I don't swim enough. :)

Susan
Last edited by: susanherself: Sep 20, 05 20:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, what convinced you that you needed a Velotron? I might want to add it to my list for when my mother sells timber.

Susan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Susan, lets see. First, I really like my CT, especially now that I am putting in power workouts. I believe I have really felt my biking, in the shorter races get better. I also no longer want to ride my bike on short rides on the road just for safety!! Plus, I can now do it any time of the day or year since the elements no longer impact me.

What I like about the velotron dyna frame unit is I can adjust it for different positions for me, and anyone else I can that wants to ride and train. It is much quieter. It is much more realistic to riding, meaning, the down hill has the 55 LB flywheel helping. You can just jump on and use it rather than having to adjust the CT each time you ride. But, the biggest reason is I am getting tired on getting on, riding, and getting a flat tire!!

So, I just said, what the heck. I do not know how many more years I can do this. I do not buy clothes, eat out, drink, take fancy trips, etc. I tend to buy stuff that I consider practical and has resale value when I am done.

So, I have done well enough in my job and savings, that I deserve to have the best indoor biking experience as possible. Also, since it is much quieter than a standard bike and trainer, I want to use it watching movies with my wife during the off season base building.

Is it over priced.? Yep. But there is nothing else I have found in the price range that is better. And then being able to have the PC's on it, going to give my bike training the best I can get with the least amount of time in the saddle, I hope. I also love using the PC as a display to keep me focused. I hoping I can either get the netathlon s/w to work on it, or racermate finally comes out with their on line s/w since I will miss that feature I have now on my CT.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, please post your experience with the Velotron+PCs combination. I'm sure I'm not the only person who will be interested.

Susan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Susan, I will.

Just waiting to get attacked that this is the biggest waste of money.

Was thinking last night, I see so many folks driving Hummers and the big cadilac's or other EXPENSIVE cars. Talk about a waste of money. All a car does is get you from point a to point b. I could take all the toys I have bought my entire life (and my bike and trainers are toys), and still not come close to the money those things cost.

So, we all spend money on what we enjoy. Some do it for a status symbol. I do it to be practical and things my entire family can use.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there a better (discounted price) source of PC's than direct from manufacturer, or is that about it ? thks.

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: Susan's Power Cranks [rrfr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THe only place I have heard is folks getting them off of Ebay. But, then by the time they pay to have them reconditioned, it would have been cheaper to buy new.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen them on ebay. You'd need to know pretty specifically what the specs are for your bike, though--lots of stuff I didn't know that Frank Day walked me through in numerous emails. I never understood any of it, despite his best efforts.

It's more complicated if you have two bikes with different components and want to switch the PCs from one to the other. I started out with the PCs on my P2K and then decided very quickly that I wanted to train with them all the time, including on group rides, and so had them switched to my road bike. To do that, I had to buy another bottom bracket for my road bike and move the double crankset from my P2K to my road bike, which had a triple to start with. I plan to buy another set of PCs in the spring, so will sort out how to get the triple *back* on my road bike at that point.

Susan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]is there a better (discounted price) source of PC's than direct from manufacturer, or is that about it ? thks.[/reply]

They do occasionally show up on Ebay and tend to go for between $500-$600 by my observations. This can be a good deal or not as some of these have needed "reconditioning" to be useful to the new user. Others have gotten really good service from theirs. The "risk" is they will not come with our 2 year guarantee (even if less than 2 years old).

Occasionally we get returns or have blemished cranks we will sell at a small discount, if they are in stock. Also have a few older model cranks of odd sizes (182, 185) that we will let go for a larger discount. Just call and ask.

The only other thing we offer is occasional discounts through special promotions, or closeouts, or our payment plan which stretches things out for the strapped.

We will be offering 5% off (plus free shipping) for orders received in Hawaii at the Expo, if you will be there. We will also try to deliver them to you there if at all possible. This will be especially valuable to the "international" customer and they will have priority on this. Order early if you want this (you can even preorder if you desire - call me).

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is the same Dave Campbell that did the PC half IM 5 OA, 4th fastest bike split, then let me be the first to attack you on your 8-10 hours of training for an IM. Don't you think someone that does that well in a half IM is predisposed to finishing an IM on limited hours? I don't know how you did at your IM, but with the engine you have I bet you could finish an IM on 3 hours a week. If this isn't the same Dave Campbell, never mind. As far as dealing with guilt over spending 5K on something thats healthy for you, I to was riding my bike contemplating the guilt over buying a new bike when a new Hummer pulling a $60,000 ski boat with jet ski's on top went driving by me. Total cost on the price is wrong, about $150,000 rolling down the road. I rode home guilt free, placed an order for a P3C as an xmas present for my gf.

Just remember, he who dies with the most toys still dies.
Quote Reply
Re: Susan's Power Cranks [dspencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wish that was me. The best time in a Half IM I have done is 5:27.

The best I have ever done on the bike was 13 out of 175 at the granite bay sprint which had mainly beginners, but heck I will take it. Biking is by far the weakest link as can be seem by all the results from my 18 tris which you can see at my web site at www.h2ofun.net

So, yes, I am TOTALLY proud of completing my first IM in 12:16 with 8 to 10 hours of training.

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Susan's Power Cranks [dspencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, your GF is lucky. Luckily my wife likes small gifts. (A hug, nice comment. Boy I do not do enough of those.) She lets me get the big ones.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Dave, your name is exactly the same, he's out of Oregon. 12:16 is a great time for IM on 20 hours a week let alone 8-10, great job! Its because I don't say enough nice things and hug my girlfriend enough that winds up costing me big $$$$. Since she found out about her xmas present she's been even more happy then her already very happy self. Its got rethinking this idea you can't buy love.
Quote Reply