Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized remora aero storage opinions?
Quote | Reply
Anyone using it? Better than Xlabs products? I like the fact that does not have a zipper to fiddle with... what are the STs opinions?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Oct 28, 14 16:18
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happened to be at my LBS today, saw this and bought it... (then came on ST to find out others' views!)

It's all moulded rubber, with a harder base, and a similar top slit to the Torhans. The rubber mounting straps look a lot better and cleaner than the velcro ones of the X-Lab. If you have top tube mounts then its even better as you can mount with screws instead.

I see Tim van Berkel has one just zip-tied on - http://www.slowtwitch.com/...nt_Trinity_4680.html

Will let you know my thoughts after I've mounted and used it a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good timing. I looked at one two days ago and was concerned about the how easy it would be to remove items, what would happen if it rains and what would happen to the rubber over time. I decided on a cloth one with zipper from Bonstager at the same cost. The rubber one is probably more aero but mine will be behind my BTA hydration. I have used neither, so my view is pure speculation

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the zip ties in that pic are what's throwing me off. I am guessing that he found that that straps were not holding the container in place? Looks he cut them away altogether...
Let me know how it goes!

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The top rubber is pretty flexible and soft - easy to slip gels in and out.

If it rains...? Well then your gel packets might get wet...as will you and everything else on your bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rubber straps feed through the slits where TvB has zip ties, and they fasten to themselves inside the box so nothing flapping about.

You can remove them if you don't need them (no need to cut). Pretty clever design actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like an interesting option. How many gels can you fit in there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you secure the straps? Looks like the two plastic pegs go into the slots on the bottom and a strap hooks onto the peg? This seems like a pain in the ass. Or is there a simpler way to do this?

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [tatp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tatp wrote:
Sounds like an interesting option. How many gels can you fit in there?

I love it, six gels and two "Slim Jim's" or eight gels packed in....But I've got to have my "Slim Jim's"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a strap on the front to tie around the bike head tube/stem? To keep it from falling over and to cinch down the front to keep it trim and aero?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just been playing with one of these at Challenge Salou.

It's flexible rubber so won't 'fall over'. At the same time, it's easy to spread open and get gels out of. The front 'flaps' don't have any straps, but seem to be angled inwards, so they'd be held apart by your steerer/stem.

I'd be interested to try one on my P3, I think it would work well with the cable entry port behind the stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
I'd be interested to try one on my P3, I think it would work well with the cable entry port behind the stem.

Classic P3, or new P3 with top tube bosses?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2015 P3 with bosses
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used one this (Southern Hemisphere) summer for long training rides and ironman. I use it for 2 x powerbars cut lengthwise, and 2 gels. The rest of my 4 gels I put in a flask in my top. But on training rides I've packed 5 gels in and still easy to get them out.

I like it more than my zip up xlab. Except the front rubber strap doesn't fit around the top tube of my shiv TT. But just doubled some tape over and fixed the front end with that.

The straps fix together with a screw inside the box, pretty neat. If you had top tube bosses it'd be gold.

Hope this n-1 review helps.

Cheers

Adrian.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one of these and like it but one of the straps broke within a few rides. Ill be using zip ties on it now.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also had a strap break. Reinforced now with zip-ties. I like it even with a broken strap. The rubber is pretty grabby, so I probably was at fault for pulling the straps needlessly tight.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [Jason D.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's the same case with mine. I thought it needed to be quite tight but it really does stay put without synching it down.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized remora aero store opinions? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Is there a strap on the front to tie around the bike head tube/stem? To keep it from falling over and to cinch down the front to keep it trim and aero?

Actually I had a problem with this. The whole thing flipped over and I was riding with it swinging upside down during my last race. It was annoying until the spilt sports drink and gels kind of glued it to the top tube. Luckily nothing fell out.

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to make a front strap...
Quote Reply