Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do people do this?! [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Uh... I guess you didn't read the part about it taking ten miles before someone from behind came up, ..."

Exactly, that was ten miles where in the end, the pace for you and the paceline was the pace of the group without you, and with you doing more work than each of the riders in the paceline since you and the group covered the distance in the same time, but with you never drafting. Had you waited, you could have added your strength to the existing group's and the result would have been the group with you in it would have been faster than you alone plus the group alone. I can say this because you were strong enough to hold the group off for at least ten miles. As to no one being in sight behind you, how is that possible? You said the course had a turnaround, so you should have seen what was coming up there. Even if you didn't, the group you ended up with must have been in view for some time before they caught you. From your description, it doesn't sound like you ever saw them and waited.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people do this?! [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Uh... I guess you didn't read the part about it taking ten miles before someone from behind came up, ..."

Exactly, that was ten miles where in the end, the pace for you and the paceline was the pace of the group without you, and with you doing more work than each of the riders in the paceline since you and the group covered the distance in the same time, but with you never drafting. Had you waited, you could have added your strength to the existing group's and the result would have been the group with you in it would have been faster than you alone plus the group alone. I can say this because you were strong enough to hold the group off for at least ten miles. As to no one being in sight behind you, how is that possible? You said the course had a turnaround, so you should have seen what was coming up there. Even if you didn't, the group you ended up with must have been in view for some time before they caught you. From your description, it doesn't sound like you ever saw them and waited.
I think I said that I didn't see them, although you seem to know more about what was going on out there and the roads that we were on than me.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I think I said that I didn't see them, although you seem to know more about what was going on out there and the roads that we were on than me."

I only know what you tell us. This is what you wrote only a few posts ago,
"There was no one in sight behind me."

That's not the same as your not seeing them. If you want to change your story that's fine, but we can only go on your last reported version.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people do this?! [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I live in an area where the local club is mostly folks who would be in the "C" group in most big city clubs. They regard me as a second class citizen because I like to ride fast. It's stupid. I don't tell them how they should ride, but they try to tell me I shouldn't ride so fast. I should ride with the group. I should ride 8 mph below my comfortable cruising speed.
So why do you ride with them?

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you showered recently?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So why do you ride with them? "

Who said I do? I have in the past, but I got sick of all the panzy-ass crap. But they ride for different reasons than me. That's fine. I've found people to ride with that are more my style and we have a good time challenging each other and pushing each other. But I'm getting older, and if the younger guys drop me, I don't expect them to wait up for me and I don't whine if they don't. I'm 49. I find myself in no-man's land quite often. Many times I've been in the exact position the original poster was in, chasing someone who was also chasing the lead pack. It never occured to me to complain if they didn't want to sit up and wait for me, but instead, challenge themself to ride as hard as they could and see what happened.

I'll tell you what really does frost my cake, though ... 2 things ... people who hit the front of the paceline and immediately kick it up a couple mph which murders the poor guy who just came off the pull, and people who are at the front of a long paceline who blast through stop signs and cross busy roads without regard for the safety of those who are at the back of the line. Most of the time, if I'm dropped, it's because I was unwilling to blast through a stop sign and blindly assume the coast was clear. Speaking as one who has been hit by a car and nearly been killed, I won't risk my life to avoid getting dropped and I don't appreciate those who ride like we're on a closed course.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have issues... ride solo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you intimidated him. Do you look like a mean mother fucker? Perhaps he thought you were chasing after him to beat him over the head with your bicycle pump???

Quote | Reply
I'm with you... happens to me all the time. Just yesterday while pedaling north on 101 (Del Mar/Encinitas) a gentleman I passed a few miles back - thought I was "a freight train" coming at him.

We exchanged pleasantries; I laughed it off and kept hammering for home. [I've chosen not to add the identifying characteristics for the both of us].

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people are just too competitive.

There was a big snapping turtle sunning itself on the bike path this morning. It couldn't be bothered to move.

I don't train or race on the bike paths like some people do. I just use them to get to the roads I do train on.

Anyway, I can't help but think that some people tried racing the turtle and got an ego boost from dropping it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people do this?! [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't tridad say it was a group "ride" and it was "fun"? I didn't read that it was a testosterone-fuelled hammerfest. There are rules of etiquette in group rides and they include no dropping and working together. (Maybe you missed the word "group".) psycholist is the classic example of someone who should ride by himself. Triathletes that want to ride their tri-bikes with aerobars and not paceline need to ride by themselves or with other triathletes on tri-bikes.

And posters here react with amazement when roadies speak negatively of them in group rides... go figure!
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people do this?! [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You have issues... ride solo."

Ha! You got that right ... but I'm willing to admit it. At least that's something ... I hope.

I recently moved to a very remote, rural area. I ride solo quite a lot. Bliss.

But I still do my share of rides with others with whom I manage to get along. I just bottle up my frustrations in their company and pop the cork in forums like this.

As I said in an earlier post, "I don't tell others how they should ride ... " but the fact is, most everyone else rides wrong. ;-)

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

But I still do my share of rides with others with whom I manage to get along.

And do the three of you share equally in the pulling?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

And good for you for owning up to your "issues"...
Quote Reply

Prev Next