Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Armstrong to train with Discovery team in December
Quote | Reply
    "WASHINGTON, Sept 7 (Reuters) - Seven-times Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, who is considering a return to racing, will take part in the Discovery Channel team's training camp in Texas in December.
A team official said Armstrong had been expected to ride at the team's annual week-long training camp in Austin, but would likely do so with more "vigour" in light of recent accusations that he has taken performance-enhancing drugs.
"Lance has obviously been there every year. Whether this occurred or not, he was most likely going to ride with our team anyway at that camp," Dan Osipow, one of the managers of the Discovery Team, said in a telephone interview on Wednesday.
"Perhaps now he may ride with a bit more vigour and take it a little differently than perhaps a retired athlete would."
The 33-year-old American retired from competitive cycling after winning the Tour de France for a record seventh consecutive time in July.
But on Tuesday he said the recent "smear campaign out of France" has awoken his competitive side and he was considering a return to racing.
"I'm not willing to put a percentage on the chances but I will no longer rule it out," the American said in a statement on Tuesday.
Osipow said Armstrong, who lives in Austin, would have likely attended the camp to meet the new team members and catch up with old team mates.
The question now is how seriously Armstrong takes the training.
"Does he take the camp the way he has the last handful of years or is he there just to stay fit and healthy?" Osipow asked. "Obviously it depends on where we are in December...how he takes the camp."
The French sports newspaper L'Equipe reported last month that six of Armstrong's urine samples collected on the 1999 Tour de France showed traces of the banned substance EPO (erythropoietin).
In 1999 there were no tests to detect EPO, a drug that increases a cyclist's endurance. But samples from the 1999 Tour were kept and frozen and were recently retested by a laboratory near Paris.
Armstrong, who recovered from testicular cancer to become the most successful rider in the Tour's history, has repeatedly denied ever taking performance-enhancing drugs."
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong to train with Discovery team in December [JK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jk,

It seems many have forgotten why he retired in the first place, he wanted to be a bigger part of his kids lives rather than away from them for months at a time.

Has Lance forgotten this as well. His kids are not really that important to him after all?

I think not.

LA is part owner of the Discovery team if you don't already know this. He will be playing a part in Discovery's future even though he has retired from racing. A lot of this may just be LA's effort to drum up media interest in Discovery and the benefits to the sponsors of the Discovery team by doing this.

I am amused to think that anyone, even LA, would think that an 8th TDF win would do or mean anything as far as some questionable testing on a six year old specimen of urine means.

I'm more interested to know why after all the 1999 urine specimens of all the riders for the TDF were tested (LA provide 17 specimens in the 1999 TDF) only supposedly six of his specimens (6 positives supposedly all had the same rider ID number) tested positive for EPO. What were the results of the tests on the other 11 specimens he provided during the 1999 TDF? Why wouldn't they all test positive? Does knowledge of the results of all the specimen testing then "prove" that the test is not valid in the first place and was intentionally "omitted" from the breaking news story because it was not a breaking news story in the first place? Just hack journalism?

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply