Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Talk me into - or out of - IM Moo for my 1st IM
Quote | Reply
Having read many post about IM Moo, some good, some bad, I have some trepidation on picking IM Moo as my first IM.

My main reasons for picking IM Moo:

Travel. I live just outside Chicago, this makes travel a non issue. No worrying about shipping the bike. No buying four plane tickets (for the family), just toss everyone in the back of the mini-van and drive up.

Training. Since I live in Chicago my highest training volume will be in the summer. I will also be able to do a little training on the course.

My main concerns:

Hills. Not sure how much harder the bike will be vs a course like IM Florida. I can toss the bike in the car and drive to some hills, but the bulk of my training will be on flat ground.

Not so great atmosphere? Many of the posts I have read talk about Madison not being a great IM town - with people putting tacks on the roads and farmers driving heavy equipment through the middle of the race. Is this overblown?

I still feel like the travel and training advantages outweigh my concerns. Plus the cost savings on travel will help offset the cost of a new bike.

I have until Sunday to decide - please chime in with any words of wisdom.

Thanks

Glenn

Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into - or out of - IM Moo for my 1st IM [glarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do it. The bike course is tough, there's no way around it, but you can get to some decent hills around here without too much trouble (I live in northern IL myself). The advantage of being able to go up and train on the course can't be overstated - ride one loop out there and you'll fully appreciate what I mean. I've never heard of tacks out on the course, and haven't seen or heard of an undue amount of flats during the race. There is one farmer who invariably drives his big honkin' combine out on the course - last year I had to ride around him, but it didn't cause any trouble other than that - besides, it moves too slowly to get a decent draft. I think Madison is a great town for a race - it's big enough that it's a nice town on its own, but it has that college-town flavor and energy - definitely a big boost on the run when you're shuffling through downtown. IM WI was my first one, and this year will be my third race there. Here's my suggestion - sign up for the race a.s.a.p. Then, get yourself up there and ride part of the course. You'll know in advance what you're in for, and you can bail and get a partial refund if you decide that's the way to go. Better yet, if you can spare the time, go up on Sunday and see it in person - no better way to get the feel. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, whatever you decide.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in Chicago, you must do Moo as your first. I think it's some sort of requirement.

Check out the chicago tri club website and look for the map showing how to ride from Barrington to Hebron. Plenty of hills and tons of like minded individuals every weekend. There are also groups leaving from Crystal Lake and even as far south as St. Charles most every saturday and sunday. Once you hit the infamous Bull Valley area, you will understand that it's possible to find hills in Chicagoland. Basically, there's a pilgrumage of riders heading to Hebron everyday.

Also, check out the bike course for the Lake Geneva 1/2 and you'll find even more terrain in which to practice. So, when you put the two together, you get lots of opportunities to ride long.

-jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
definately you should do IM Wisco! it's close to your house and you can make some great training trips up to Madison during the summer. The race is really well supported and the tacks / farmers in the road are well overblown as issues. Last year one farmer drove in the road and probably affected 30 riders max (unfortunately it ended up as a photo in Triathlete Mag - i think).

The race is really well done and is challenging - but it's supposed to be isn't it!!
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into - or out of - IM Moo for my 1st IM [jeffh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madison is one of the best places to do an IM. The swim in great, waters not too cold or too hot. The run course goes through the main part of town and the people are there to cheer you on the whole way. You never get that "why am I out here in the middle of nowhere plodding along" feeling. Also, I know you guys in Chicago are fearful of the hills, but they are not that bad, and you can find places in the 'burbs to do hill repeats to get ready. It's well run and friendly, Do the Moo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd do the race in Madison.

I've never done moo, but I went up and watched it the first year they had it(when I was living in Chicago). Madison is an awesome sports town and that race is on my list of must-dos. Besides, why mess with the travel logistics for your first IM when you have such a great race close-by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do WI.

Living in Madison made my it doable for me. Knowing the bike course and the run course as well as I did was such a mental advantage. From where you are, you can train on the bike course a bunch of times. With as good shape as you'll be in by the end of 6-9 months of training, you will laugh at the hills. Well, maybe not really - but you will be able to do them. Have you done a race without any hills? I did Memphis in May last year and I cannot tell you how boring and painful the bike was. Give me some opportunities to get out of the saddle and move around and use different muscles. Who wants to just stay in aero position for hour after hour?

And, your friends and family can come and see you. THAT IS WORTH A WHOLE LOT!!!!!!!! - especially on that last lap on the bike course or those last 10 miles of the marathon.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback....

I'm in for 2006. Just completed the entry form.

Holy crap... what have I gotten myself into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An immense amount of work, a lot of money going out and the greatest feeling in the world when you cross the finish line (which negates 1 and 2!).

Train safe and see ya there next year - its gotta be cooler than 03 and 04 that I did.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into - or out of - IM Moo for my 1st IM [jeffh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Living in Chicago, you must do Moo as your first. I think it's some sort of requirement.
Screw that...go to LP...much better race over all.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into - or out of - IM Moo for my 1st IM [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Moo for 06, LP for 07.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tacks on the road is not a concern.

It is a GREAT atmosphere. The town is great. The people are amazing. The farmers now LOVE the race.

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Re: Talk me into - or out of - IM Moo for my 1st IM [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where can I do hill repeats in the suburbs?

I have been wondering about that for a couple of years.

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the same way last year when I signed up for CDA.

"I think I just threw up in my mouth a little " was the quote I told my wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same questions as you, the responses here and from my girlfriend this morning sealed the deal for me. I'm in! When do you want to ride the course first?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in almost your exact same situation. I went up and watched yesterday and still signed up this morning. The way I see it is that it's almost impossible for the weather to be like it was for 4 years straight. See you on the bike in the burbs.
Quote Reply