Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrade QR Kilo or buy new bike
Quote | Reply
I have been riding a QR Kilo for the past 3 seasons. I purchased the bike (new) in 2003. Everything on the bike is completely stock (wheel too). I have been considering buying race wheels, new cranks, and new pedals. I have also been considering just buying a new bike. I like the Cervelo P3 SL and the new QR seduza looks pretty nice and it is carbon. I typically average very slightly over 22 MPH for a half Iron so I think that a new lighter more aero bike might give me some more speed.

Should I fix up the bike or just buy a new one. I can't decide which makes more sense.

D
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade QR Kilo or buy new bike [rhodes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy cervelo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
       Unless you are planning to change wheel sizes in the future, get the race wheels. No doubt about it, good wheels are the best way to get speed. If you get a new bicycle, you'll have a new bicycle and ride about the same speed. That's fine if you just want a new bike, but if you get the wheels (I'd recommend 404's with a Renn disc) you'll see speed now and can always get the new bike later and still use your race wheels.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade QR Kilo or buy new bike [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the bike fits and you are comfortable, I would say upgrade. I know that my dual fits like a glove so I just upgrade as I go. I would do the race wheels and agree with the Disk if possible. I emailed Frank at Renn about getting a wheel. A great upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm partial to Cervelos (have a P2K) and thought my old 1998 QR Kilo was a real dog.......

But....is money an issue? Consider the difference of what you could ebay the QR for against the cost of a new bike and realize that eventually you'll still liklely want to eventually get better wheels for the new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would upgrade the kilo. A Cervelo will not make you any faster than a QR (sorry Gerard and other Cervelo devotees!) but race wheels will. Your 2003 QR frame is a decent frame (it is more aero than Cerveloguy's oldstyle kilo) and slapping a disk on the back and deep rim up front will give you a boost. The crank upgrade is probably only necessary if you want to change crank size. The carbon cranks add a lot of gee-whiz-cool factor to your bike but won't make you any faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others - 22+ on a 1/2 IM course should get you near the top 10%. At those speeds (i.e. 25+ easy on the flats), race wheels (deep front and rear or disc) will get you probably about 3 minutes! (Based on the boxed rim/spoke vs. disc/404 aero study of approx 90 secs for a 40K), all things being equal (and you are obviously pretty comfy on your current bike.

Bike aerodynamics really don't matter too much (just guessing, but I'd say less than 1 min per 1/2 IM). Most people are faster on a new bike though, mainly because of better fit and the "new" mentality of hammering harder. They sure look purdy though ...