Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire recommendations for IMF
Quote | Reply
Looking for some tire recommendations for IM Florida. I will be using 650 clinchers with a Hed 3 front and Hed disc rear. What brand, model and size would you suggest? Thanks!

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: Tire recommendations for IMF [IronRod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
650 X 23 Vredestein Fortezza. Roads can be a bit rough in the back section. Also, lots of construction debris everywhere. I wouldn't go with less than 23.
Quote Reply
hed website said no vredestein for hed3? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that 10 days ago on the hedcycling.com they had a paragraph warning to hed3 riders to not use vredestein tires because somehow the beads do not clinch well; I just looked again, and it's not there; anyone knows about this, the initial problem and the resolution? I was just about to put on a new 650x23 fortezza for my hed3 for immoo but ended up using a hutchinson because of this now-nonexistant warning
Quote Reply
Re: hed website said no vredestein for hed3? [lshi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to see the warning I am talking about, google the following words "vredestein and hed 3"

and the first entry is the following; however, the cache does not even contain the old warning message:

Hed Cycling - Hed Wheels Hed Cycling produces some of the best cycling race wheels available today. ... Warning: we do not recommend using Vredestein or Vittoria clincher tires on ...
www.hedcycling.com/wheels/ - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
Quote Reply
Re: hed website said no vredestein for hed3? [lshi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, bizzare warning. Never seen it before. Been riding HEDs for 4+ years and my tires of choice were first Vredsestein and now Vittoria. No issues with either. Train on both of them as well. Either tire is fine fr IMF.
Quote Reply
Re: hed website said no vredestein for hed3? [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am considering a set of Alps and I normally ride Vredesteins and Vittoria's so I sent them an email. Here is the response:

'Legally, our recommendation is to not use a tire that has a loose fit, as there
is a danger of blowoffs. Your tire should require some effort to mount. not
bulging muscles, but it should take effort. '
Quote Reply
Re: hed website said no vredestein for hed3? [chris_gr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much of a response at all!

Odd, with either tire, the effort to put them on the HED3 is typical, but by comparison, the effort to put them on the Hed Jets (V-60) is huge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
conti comp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clearly recall changing a flat with my Fortezza SE and they required considerable effort to take off so think they would be fine on any rim. I did have a pair of Vittoria Ultraspeed 650x21 blow off a Ritchey rim at 110psi. I am not sure under infaling causes blow offs but after that I read the label and it said 130psi min so started riding them at 130psi until I got a good size punchure and they were toast. Not the world's most durable tire.
Quote Reply