Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A question of bike weights???
Quote | Reply
I recently "graduated" from an entry level Giant road bike (OCR 3) to what I consider to be a pretty decent tri bike (Cannondale Ironman 2000). The first thing I really noticed was the huge difference in weight. I was curious, so with all of the technological gadgetry I could muster up in 2 mins, I threw the bikes on the good old bathroom scale.

Well, my Giant weighed in at abour 25lbs, while my new 54cm stock C'Dale weighed in at about the same as my wifes 49cm Cervelo P2K - about 19-20lbs.

With my Cannondale at just under 20 lbs...is this on the light side, heavy side or right in the middle in terms of good quality tri bikes? I'll be doing Placid next summer, and want to know if I need to worry about trying to lighten the load (other than just dropping my own excess baggage).

Just curious - what do the other high-end (and realistic - not the $5000 bikes that only a few can afford) models come in at in stock form? e.g. Cervelo's, Trek's, Felt's, etc
Quote Reply
Re: A question of bike weights??? [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't be a weight weeny. Direct your tri-neurosis towards aerodynamic gear like the rest of us.
Quote Reply
Re: A question of bike weights??? [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Don't be a weight weeny. Direct your tri-neurosis towards aerodynamic gear like the rest of us.

No, no...not being a weight weenie. I come from a mountain bike racing background, so I know how much a light cross country rig weighs, but I really have no idea about tri bikes.

Mine feels pretty light, but I was just curious. What is really light and what is average in the world of high end tri bikes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
With my Cannondale at just under 20 lbs...is this on the light side, heavy side or right in the middle in terms of good quality tri bikes? I'll be doing Placid next summer, and want to know if I need to worry about trying to lighten the load (other than just dropping my own excess baggage).

Just curious - what do the other high-end (and realistic - not the $5000 bikes that only a few can afford) models come in at in stock form? e.g. Cervelo's, Trek's, Felt's, etc
You're fine, 18-20 pounds is a very raceable TT/Tri bike. Don't worry, just ride it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd rather be on a comfortable, well fit 25 lb bike than an aerodynamically slick as goose gob 15 lb bike that didn't fit me well. If you are under 20 lbs., you're on a light enough bike. By taking full advantage of the fluids available on the course, you could be on a heavier bike and end up carrying less extra weight than the fellow on the 15 pounder that loads all the fuel and fluid needed for a half or full Iron distance race.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: A question of bike weights??? [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dick is 7.4 inch. Is it very raceable? I'll be doing Placid next summer, and want to know if I need to worry about trying to lighten the load (other than just dropping my own excess baggage).
Quote Reply
Re: A question of bike weights??? [Spin Doctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My dick is 3.4 inch. Is it very raceable? I'll be doing Flacid next summer, and want to know if I need to worry about trying to lighten the load (other than just dropping my own excess baggage).
That small and flacid I think you're not very raceable jon :-(
Quote Reply
Re: A question of bike weights??? [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My dick is 7.4 inch. Is it very raceable? I'll be doing Placid next summer, and want to know if I need to worry about trying to lighten the load (other than just dropping my own excess baggage)."

7.4 is to much for the 140.6... Its simple math... Trim your root to go faster.
Quote Reply