Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized vs Cervelo
Quote | Reply
Hello

I am Currently riding a Giant "team Once" which I like.

But I am also liking the Cervelo Soloist (Carbon) and the Specialized E5 Tarmac.

Any opinions on these bikes as far as ride, weight, all the good stuff and bad.

Also, Is it worth Switching from a Griffen to a Cervelo P3 Carbon

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
http://www.d3multisport.com
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized vs Cervelo [jtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took ownership of a P3C a couple weeks ago...................its bad.

Yeh right, it is a rocket, stiff but comfortable, I traded a Litespeed Blade for the P3C and have absolutely no regrets.

As for the choice of Tarmac or Soloist Carbon, personally I would opt for the Soloist but the other question is How quickly do you need it???

Good Hunting

Nimbleblade

Trizilla .....................My local LBS, only a few thousand miles away.....Thanks Skirbs

Trizilla...My local bike shop a few thousand Ks away

Speed Hurts ...How fast do you want to go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was me, I'd go for the Specialized- I just really like the Tarmacs. The Giant is quite nice though. If you're going for a pure road bike, I'd skip the Soloist- the seatposts are sometimes creaky, and they have internally routed cables, which are a pain, in my opinion.

You're really asking a lot though- chances are slim that anybody is going to have opinions on ride quality and all the details of each bike (someone would have to had owned all three bikes). What components does your Giant have? What do you want on the new bike? Frameset or complete bike? What about sizing? Giants only come in a few sizes, as does the E5 Tarmac (I think... the all-carbon one has more sizes). Geometry could be the one most important thing that eclipses all others. Each of these bikes can be light or heavy depending on what parts you put on it, but I think the Giant has the lightest frame. What do you like/dislike about your current ride? How is your fit?

And re: TT bikes, from what people say here, the P3 Carbon is all that and a bag of chips. The only negative comments I have heard are about the horizontal dropout adjustment screws not staying put. Griffens are nice, though. Fit is even more paramount with tri bikes- have you been fit on your Griffen? How does your body match up with the P3C?

So all you're left with are questions, questions, and more questions :) Looks like you have some homework to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized vs Cervelo [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like my giant a lot

I just want to redo with a softer ride but still have response. My giant FRAME is great (medium), but New components, Carbon post, and a few other upgrades would be good. I figure why not try a new bike all together.

I would go with Specialized E5 tarmac in 58 with Dura ace, I would Go complete bike, I like the Zerts idea I have heard good things.

My griffen is sweet too and a VERY nice ride especially with hed 3 front and Zipp disc rear (Tubular) ITs set up with Carbon X bars and Dura Ace 9spd. I just feel I could get more aggressive, and I have been sized up but the agressive feel I am looking for is limited due to My griffens frame size (57). I am not talking much, just a hairs difference, but the P3 is fitted with a longer Top tube too maybe allow me that aggressive feel I am looking for. Aero dynamics both are superior, ride, I think both and definitly griffen is great ride.

Yea I was just seeing if anyone out there had any real world experience yet with these bikes.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a softer ride, look at the Specialized Roubaix. That thing is supposed to be comfy but super stiff. It doesn't have the geometry of a crit bike by any means, but it is a great road racer or for long training miles. Giants are supposed to ride pretty well, though. There are many things that affect ride quality more than just the frame- what wheels are you using? Tires? Tire pressure? Saddle?

And regarding tri bikes, you don't want to go to a smaller frame size necessarily to get a more aggressive position. It is all a matter of how tall the head tube is. Once you know your top tube length and seat tube angle, then look at head tube height. Are you as low as you can get on the Griffen? Any headset spacers or spacers below the arm rest pads? The P3 does have quite a short head tube, so you could get pretty darn low if you want. If you simply go with a longer top tube bike, you might find yourself feeling stretched out. Keep the cockpit distance right- if you want to be more aero, bring down the front end.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized vs Cervelo [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The griffen I am as low as I can Go. My Sponsor/Shop worked with me a while as they are Fist Certified.

My Giant my bars rattle or I feel the Vibe in the bars Easton Alum, the Seat post is Easton alumin, the Wheels are Ksyrium equips, the saddle is alright, STUPID light but I kinda like it. I think I should be on a little LArger than a Medium FRame bike, I have done fine on it for 2+ years, but I think a 57,58 road bike would be better, I used to be on a 60cm specialized about 3+ years ago. Not really ever properly fitted on that one

My certified Guy at the SHop has a few P3Carbons, and he wants to put me on one when we get a chance to do a fit.

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized vs Cervelo [nimbleblade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I took ownership of a P3C a couple weeks ago...................its bad.

Yeh right, it is a rocket, stiff but comfortable, I traded a Litespeed Blade for the P3C and have absolutely no regrets.

As for the choice of Tarmac or Soloist Carbon, personally I would opt for the Soloist but the other question is How quickly do you need it???

Good Hunting

Nimbleblade

Trizilla .....................My local LBS, only a few thousand miles away.....Thanks Skirbs[/reply]

You traded your Blade.......what sort of deal did they give you?

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep your Giant.....
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized vs Cervelo [Bladed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when I said traded my Blade....I sold it and virtually gave it away at a silly price, but hey after doing a 50 mile TT on the P3C today, definately a good move.

Nimbleblade

Trizilla .....................My local LBS, only a few thousand miles away.....Thanks Skirbs

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized vs Cervelo [nimbleblade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh....I see.

Just my opinion.......but the Tizilla ads in triathlete magazine are the worst........some body builder chick with a road bike and clip ons....very bad.

(I know....opinions are like a_ _holes.....)

;-)

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized vs Cervelo [Bladed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see why people take that view. I spoke to Jim Skirboll very early last November when I had an initial interest in the P3C, I ended up with a fantastic bike for an AWESOM price, basically upgraded brakes to Zero Gravity Ti, Nokon Cables and still paid less than the retail price for the frame in the UK, even after paying the VAT , I was kept informed at all stages what was happening in terms of the order, definatel can't fault them, have since ordered VT all carbon bars and other bits.

I always take people/companies how I find them and on this occasion really can't say enough about them.

Quote Reply