Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

guys question
Quote | Reply
i was riding last night. just 30 miles. i was down in the aero the whole time. by mile 38 my balls were numb...prolly cut of the circulation at somepoint..no bueno eh...i was wearin my tri shorts...does this happen to you guys at all?

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
Quote Reply
Re: guys question [Local Star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said you were riding "just 30 miles" and then went on to say your balls got numb at mile 38. I'm guessing that was a typo and you meant mile 28. Anyway, to the point, there's alot of research on the damaging effects of cycling to the male reproductive system. It CAN cause permanent damage to the nerves that feed the wang (nice scientific term, huh?). I'd suggest either standing up in the saddle every 15-20 minutes to let the blood flow again or find a more comfortable saddle. I've struggled with saddle position, type, etc. due to "taint" (perineum) discomfort since I started in this sport back in March and am only now almost to the point where I'm "comfortable" on rides over 30 miles. I still have to wear bike shorts (as opposed to tri shorts) on rides over 20 miies.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never had that problem and I do most of my riding in Tri shorts. I have also produced 3 kids (2 as a master, 1 close) and have no other problems...well, at least those type.

Let's just say I have done a lot of Tris for many, many years, and have been riding in aero position since the 80's.

Here is how I set up my saddle, based on a little help I got from Tinley 15 years or so ago when this aero thing 1st started: 1st, make sure you have a decent overall position and your seat is the right height - you are then 90% of the way to comfort. Take a level and measure from the nose about 5 inches back - this is the part of the saddle that you want level. Now, skew the saddle about .5 cm or 1/2 the width of the nose to the side away from your "hang." Now, when riding in the aero position, your "taint" lays to the side of the saddle instead of right on it. Rotate your hips a little forward and make sure your arms aren't too far stretched out.

This has worked for me and I hope it helps you.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Sep 2, 05 12:42
Quote Reply
Re: guys question [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good idea on the bike shorts. i think i need to mess with my saddle position more too. i think i'm riding the nose too much..my seat has a severe front angle to it...too much perhaps. i didn't want to stand haha. i was like i can do this :) and thanks for correcting my typo!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On occation this will happen to me. No feeling at all, it is very disturbing. I remember readign something about it before but it had not happened to me by that point so I did not pay any attention.

I always attributed it to my seat. it is cheap and I don't have $100+ to buy a new one that might do the same thing.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: guys question [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good idea on the hang on the preferred side. for some reason. previously i wanted to let the saddle slit the balls ...hmm...does that sound right! hahahhaahha....because if they were both on one side..theyd be smashed..but i need to play with my saddle more and test what you said about riding 5 inches back

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say ride 5 inches back - I said that is where to measure to make it level. That is about where I ride but I slide around a lot.

There is no need to have problems downtown or to have saddle discomfort. It simply means that you are not set up properly. Of course, there is a time period to "toughen the tissue" but that is different than numbness/function/perpetual discomfort.

Go get 'em!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent about the first 5 years of my triathlon lifespan with saddle discomfort. Position changes, saddle changes, clothing changes, body glide, gel shorts/saddles, etc...

I kept on trying till I finally found the cure for me - it was the saddle. I'm a small framed guy, and apparently I need a tiny, small sized saddle, too. The Sella Italia SLR - not the cushy version, the rock hard, 130 gram version did the trick. I thought "no f'in way I'm gonna like that thing", but damned if it didn't work for me. I've worn several of them out now with no pain.

The point is - keep trying, eventually you will find it.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: guys question [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have read about some companies that will let you ride a saddle for a period of time and if you don't like it you can return it. When I asked my LBS about a trial they look at me like I was speaking chinese. Any body ever hear of this trial or did I make it up?

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 things to ensure the junk stays comfy:

Train in good cycling shorts; not minimalistic tri shorts (that's for racing);

Turn your saddle 1-2 degrees to the side; Fitwerx had me turn it toward the side that I have a leg length discrepancy; not sure if it matters which way you turn it if you don't have a leg length issue;

QR seat cover;

Butt butter on balls and taint

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Re: guys question [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah...hmm interesting ..the bike i have belonged to a guy who was a bit taller than me previously..so perhaps the saddle is too big!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get off my saddle for maybe 10 sec every mile to let the blood come back.

Re: guys question [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Great advice from Tinley on moving the saddle slightly to the side. I might have to try that!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me in races when I'm in tri-shorts, but not on long rides in bike shorts.

Usually I can feel myself again at about mile two.
Quote Reply
Re: guys question [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a local tri store that allows you to try different saddles, with the rental fee applied towards a purchase. Pretty nice thing they do if you ask me.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply