Login required to post replies

Mightyman
Quote | Reply
Thinking of doing this in the fall.

What is the good, bad, and ugly?
Quote Reply
Re: Mightyman [Bostonbull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I presume you are talking about the race on the east end of Long Island in Montauk?

Not sure if you have any specific questions but I recommend the race. Produced by the biggest Tri company on the island and the biigest weekend of races on LI.

If interested I can link a course recognition video I did for 1 loop on the bike for all distances

It is a quite challenging bike and run with suprisigly a lot of hills for the south shore of long island......not as hilly as IMLP, Rev Quassy etc but a good test
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this. Highly enjoyable race. Hillier than you'd think withmurder hill twice on the run course. Not sure what you want to know that you can't find on the website.

Smaller race on east coast of long island. Very little traffic and not a huge amount of spectators across the whole course but friendly atmosphere. One of the first times I enjoyed hanging around after the race chatting to other racers.

Travel is pretty easy although a couple hours out of NYC. You can drive or get the train easy enough. If you get the train you'll need an insurance vard/permit from long island railroad company. Its 5 bucks and lasts forever. There is a restriction on number of bikes allowed on the trains but I've never seen it hit capacity.

Lits of accommodation as its a touristy area in the height of summer but is normally less busy at race weekend. You'll want to book ahead to get somewhere that is walking distance to the transition.

If I remember correctly you rack your bike on race morning (don't take my word on that) which I'm much happier with. Less stress than the 100 thinks IM make u do before getting to the start line.

Hope that helps

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Mightyman [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies guys!

I looked and couldnt find much for reviews past 2010 and 2011.

Is it a well run race in terms of transitions, aid stations, etc?

What is the after race festival area like? Is there food? Or does the race end near restaurants close by?

I see you said places to stay are harder to come by, Ill start looking now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bostonbull wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys!

I looked and couldnt find much for reviews past 2010 and 2011.

Is it a well run race in terms of transitions, aid stations, etc?

What is the after race festival area like? Is there food? Or does the race end near restaurants close by?

I see you said places to stay are harder to come by, Ill start looking now.

Well run...they have about 10 races on longisland....typically the oly is going on at same time......transition is about 200 yds from downtown montauk so plenty of restaurants. They have some post race food but don't remember if it was real big.........yes most hotels want a 3 night minimum.......only problem unless they change this year is the bike has 1 aid station at midway point and that is it.....If you go to http://www.onefortypointsixmedia.com ....i helped do the play by play of the MightyMan bike course video
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this race twice, the first time was 2006, I think, and the end of the race got hammered with the most spectacular thunderstorm I've ever been out in. People were running on these open roads over sandy, tree-less areas with lightning coming down all over. But you can't control the weather. It was well-run that year, and I came back last year for another go. The weather was perfect, but it can get windy out at the end of Long Island with ocean on three sides around you. It feels like a pretty well-oiled machine at work running the show at Mightyman. Parking at transition was a snap, and as someone mentioned you can drop your bike off on race day (although I think packet pickup is mandatory the day prior). Somebody was flying a drone around the starting line and they emailed a video link after the race which was cool. You would think being surrounded by ocean that the swim would be in salt water, but it isn't. Fort Pond is fresh water but has kind of a skeevy feel to it. Having said that, I'm a huge wimp in the water and had no trouble at all. Even on windy days, Fort Pond is just about flat.

It's a smallish race on good roads, although the shoulders have a fair bit of debris and you can't really ride out in the lane too much because the roads are not closed to traffic, but I really loved the course. It's got a very nice swooping turn around the loop out by Montauk lighthouse, which is where the race photographer gets the obligatory shot. There are a couple out-n-backs which end in little loops so you don't have to do any strict 180's in the road. If you like steep hills, the run goes up and down the same nasty one twice, which means you have to climb it four times; twice from the front, twice from the back. It's harder than you would think if you've been to this mostly flat part of the island.

One of the issues I've had is with finding a room for one night only. Most places in the area are two night minimums, and you can shell out a lot of money for some not-so-nice accommodations. I stayed at the Snug Harbor last time and found it satisfactory, but there are a TON of options.

Lastly, this race seems to have been dwindling in numbers the last few years, and while 2013 had a good turnout, it's going to have a tough time competing with Ironman 70.3 Princeton which takes place the previous weekend. That race will draw off a significant number of New York City area racers. I am voting with my feet... both feet... since I'm doing both Princeton and Mightyman, but unless you're going to Kona, if you live in the northeast the Mightyman half is a great way to end your season. As a previous poster mentioned, there's a great vibe in transition at the finish as people breathe out that sigh of relief, putting the year behind them. It makes for a really fun time.

Also, they gave out hoodies instead of t-shirts. The hoodie was great. I wore it all last winter as I live in a 300-year-old house that doesn't get much above 60 degrees, and it was a cooooooold winter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first half in 2010. I couldn't find a place with less than a 2 night minimum, I didn't care so much since I wanted to stay the night before the race and leave my crap there the day of. I didn't stay the second night but it was nice to have a place to hang out and shower before driving home.

As far as logistics, it is a very simple and pretty much self sufficient bike. Packet pick up is the day before even though there is no need to do this...they just made deals with the local places to make sure you stay the night. You put your bike in transition and set up race morning which is kind of nice. There is one aide station on the bike, which is at transition when you turn around to do the bike loop again. This is pretty lame considering the amount they charge you for the race, but if you run a concentrated bottle..not really a nutrition issue, but still...one water station??? The run is pretty well stocked, no issues there.

I did it again last year (2013) and it was pretty much the same thing, still had a 2 night minimum, and I didn't stay the second night. Regardless, the post race party is extremely lame, so I finished the half, met my wife who had done the oly and we chilled on the lawn by the race finish for an hour or so. Then headed back to the hotel and hung out on a very nice beach which was great, then headed back home. If you place in the oly, you simply pick up your award at the end. If you place in the half, you don't get anything unless you hang around for hours after the race with a bunch of other AG placers who just want to get their loot. No thank you...go enjoy the beach (or get some food in town), Montauk has very nice beaches!

If you are driving back towards the city, you'll be hungry from the lack of fare from the race, so I would highly recommend stopping at La Fondita. Just a little Mexican place on the side of the road in the Hamptons...was surprised how good it was!

The race itself... The swim is in a freshwater pond (big enough I'd call it a lake of sorts) and I think it is pretty nice. Someone called it skeevy...and I can kind of understand that, not like the huge freshwater lakes in NH or upper VT, but it isn't bad at all...just a little murky at the start. The bike is pretty honest actually, this isn't a fast and flat course, you hit some hills but nothing long and sustained. The run is much the same, it isn't what I'd call hard, but there are some "hills". If you are a flat lander, it will seem hilly, but really there are just 2 hillish things. For me it was about 8 minutes slower than an open half mary (and my fastest 70.3 run) so really, don't be frightened by the course.

Overall, I'd recommend the race. Not because of LI Eventpower that runs the race and most the triathlons here on LI, they actually put on some pretty lame triathlons in some great areas. They seem to have shaken things up this year so maybe it will be more "premier". Otherwise, I'd say come and to Tobay, which is sprint here on LI and not even USAT, but a MUCH better post race party and atmosphere.
Quote Reply
Re: Mightyman [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MightyMan Montauk

Figured i will bring back this zombie thread for the race. Kicking around the idea of my roadbike with, climbing gears, and clip ons for this one instead of the TT bike and a 28 on the rear wheel.

Also looking for decent food recommendations and things to do while there for a three night stay!
Quote Reply
Re: Mightyman [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Oly back in 2017 when it was the Collegiate Conference Champs for the North East. I rode a TT bike with a 39/53 and 11-28. It worked absolutely fine for me (had the fastest bike split). The elevation is nowhere near the level of choosing a road bike over a tt bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Mightyman [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Kicking around the idea of my roadbike with, climbing gears, and clip ons for this one instead of the TT bike and a 28 on the rear wheel.

Of course it depends on your crank, but that sounds like plenty of gearing for the course. It is Long Island hilly for the south shore, which means more rolling (I looked back and got around ~1,900 ft. of elevation). I can only imagine a TT bike is going to be quite a bit faster than a road bike with clip on bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim was COLD! which made the bike cold. I wore arm warmers under my wetsuit to stay warm on the bike and that helps. Darn fast and fun bike course. Hands went so cold on the swim that I couldn't feel them at all! run was hard with the hills. Only half I've ever won with a couple of D-level pro's in the field, so that makes it a fond memory for me, ha.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Mightyman [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train out in Montauk when visiting with family
One of my fav places to train mulltisport.
Nice public pool too but plenty of open water swim spots
They recently repaved the roads for most the course, so it's running fast.
Just remember it's hillier than most IM 70.3 events.
Low key local event
Standard bike gearing will work
I road a standard 1 x 12 riding the course a few weeks ago. Yes a TT bike.
A road bike with clip on would be ok but a TT bike would be better
That is....several fast and flat road sections between the climbs.
Several 2-4 min 7-8 % grade climbs on the bike
One even steeper but short climb on the run
Many many places to eat in Montauk or the Hamptons
Long list and many great places, some expensive
PM me and send food preferences, I can then go over a few options.
Unfortunately hotel prices have gotten very expensive.
They usually require a minimum stay but plenty of places to choose from since it's a tourist location.
There is camping and beach RV parking as another option
Forecast for Oct 1, next weekend, looks great.
Nothing like the tropical storm remnants that hit NY 70.3 last weekend.

The first bike climb to warmup body is not immediately out of the transition.
So, might need to bring along arm warmers and/or a vest for the bike.

Bill
Quote Reply
Re: Mightyman [evickers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, everyone. The responses have been helpful.

We have a place to stay in town and a dinner reservation for Friday.

Happy to post about the race after the fact if there is interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Mightyman [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim cancelled. Bummer.

About to drive the bike course. Hope the flooding doesn’t prevent that as well. *shrug*
Quote Reply