Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The next steps toward seamless bike frames?
Quote | Reply
There was a huge breakthrough in nanotube creation/production recently. Being able to produce sheets like this will certainly fuel lots of cool new technology.

"a square kilometre of the material would weigh only 30 kilograms"

http://www.nature.com/...5/full/050815-8.html

I can only imagine as we get better and better at stacking atoms, we will start to see seamless bike frames that approach atomic perfection in terms of strength.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: The next steps toward seamless bike frames? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that does look cool. I especially like the concept of the "rolled up TV screen". Nothing like a 7 lb bike to help in the hills :)

Re: The next steps toward seamless bike frames? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A huge, time consuming obstacle still unsolved though is how to prevent the introduction of impurities into the matrices that give these materials strength. The introduction is easy to control inside a clean room, but in open environments, no one knows how quickly such materials will hold up. Rust on steel is no biggy because a steel girder's strength is in it's girth; but for an Earth-to-space tether made of carbon nanotubes, there is still no assurance the carbon matrix would last two days let alone two years.

Still good news for the nano folks.
Quote Reply
Re: The next steps toward seamless bike frames? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think this is really where this technology is going - paper thin display. I saw a show talking about something like this where you will have the internet displayed on your glasses and whenever you look at someone, face recognition software will identify them and display that information on your personal heads-up display.

Heh, unfortunately we will probably have to hook big chunks of lead onto the frame to make it legal though...

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: The next steps toward seamless bike frames? [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhhhh, look at Mr. Smartypants...what are ya', a rocket-scientist, or something??

Sorry...I always wanted to do that....carry on.......

:-)

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply