Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

touring Banff/Jasper
Quote | Reply
In the coming weeks I'm considering taking a few days off work to drive out to the mountains to do some solo bike touring somewhere in the Banff or Jasper area. My idea is to live out of the car and do day trips, returning to the car and camping at night, then driving somewhere else each day. I'm not familiar with the area, as the only time I've been there has just been passing through on the Trans Canada, so I'm seeking your advice about good routes to ride, sights to see, or any other words of wisdom you might have.

thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Re: touring Banff/Jasper [Crimmsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've only been lucky enough to be in that area once and made a stop in camore. a must i'd say. beautiful trails etc., only way less touristy than banff. i also remember there being a chocolate store there.

have fun!

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend spending more time in Jasper then Banff, its less touristy and I think the scenery is even better. I've never done any bike touring in either place so I can't help you with any specifics although the road from the town of Jasper up to Maligne lake is great and there always seems to be groups riding up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey crimmsy -

live in edmonton and have done lots of riding around jasper - highly recommended. ditto the others - banff will be too crowded. the maligne canyon's a great ride, and there are plenty of others in the area too. some buddies just did a monster 3-day tour that started outside of jasper and went down through banff - awesome! anyway, ask if you want the specifics, and have fun! (bring lots of spares.)

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: touring Banff/Jasper [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just went through jasper............watch for trucks, it's the main drag from edmonton to vancouver. also watch for moose, rams and elk. they are everywhere, including the streets

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crimmsy...you should do the Banff-Radium-Golden-Banff "Golden Triangle ride". Contact my buddy Mike Hayes who lives in Calgary. He knows all those roads like the back of his hand. He goes by mike_h on slowtwitch.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a great tour about 10 years ago through Banff, Yoho, and Kootenay national parks--- It's great riding. There is a scenic road that runs parallel to the main route through Banff. We didn't have any problems with traffic. I'd suggest hooking up a rack to your bike and doing a tour--- There aren't many loops out there so it helps you avoid out and back riding.

Make sure to stop at the points of interest and hike out to see the sights from them--- Once you get off the roads there is a whole different world you can see.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to have a car the Columbia Icefields Parkway has lots of campgrounds and several youth hostels.

The best is to ride the whole 230 km straight with panniers and tent. But, you can make one of the campgrounds or youth hostels the base for a day and return.

Some suggestions:

Stay away from Banff as much as you can. Jasper is less "trendy" than Banff so if you don't like Hard Rock Cafe's and Starbucks choose Jasper.

Lake Louise to top of Bow Pass and return (80 km)

Rampart Creek Youth Hostel to Top of Sunwapta Pass (Icefield Centre) and Back (80KM)

Day Trips from Hilda Creek Hostel near the top of Sunwapta Pass

Day Trips from Athabasca Falls Youth Hostel

You can't go wrong anywhere on the Icefields Parkway. My wife and I did two weeks on touring bikes in National Parks. They're about the best place to bike in North America. Just take your time getting used to the altitude on the parkway. If you're a lowlander like me the alitude can get to you initially.

Here's the map its all you'll really need:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/...per/visit/PkwyEn.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring warm gear.. and hot weather gear.
Weather can be ANYTHING, even in the middle of summer.... you can get snowstorms, heavy rain, scorching sun, high winds, all in the same day.

Pretty much any of the highways are good for cycling around there. Watch out for brain-dead tourists though.. they tend to not pay attention to the road.
Quote Reply