Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for the ladies (gross girl stuff)
Quote | Reply
OK, so I'm on the pill, have been for eons. I have 15 weeks til IMW so I am doing the "back-to-back pill pack attack" approach to maximize my training time. I've never done the back-to-back thing, is it common to get some breakthrough on what would have been day 1?

Just curious. Spose to swim tomorrow and I hate swimming during full-on "red tide" (ahem). Hoping I'm just getting a bit of spotting.

Thx, & sorry for being gross.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the ladies (gross girl stuff) [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been doing back-to-back for about two years now! I never experienced spotting, but I can't imagine it will last that long, probably just your body rebelling this first time around! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried that once. Had the same problem you are having along with a lot of cramps, nausea, etc. So, I decided just to go back to the normal way of taking them. What's the point if I'm going to have cramps and bleeding anyway? But, yes, I think spotting is normal. If I had stuck through a few cycles, I'm sure it would have gone away, but I think my body was saying NO!
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the ladies (gross girl stuff) [miami79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, no cramps, nausea, so I think it's just my bod saying wassup?

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have experimented with 'cycle shifting' (menstrual, that is!) over the years, and usually have either a light period or breakthrough bleeding for a month or two before my body gets the idea.

one of my good friends has gone for almost 3 years on the back-to-back pill method with no adverse side effects---saves $$ on tampax, too!

mom
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the ladies (gross girl stuff) [ironmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes it does!! :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew I'd be glad to be done with the monthly thing...went through surgical menopause in March and haven't missed it at all.

Sorry I can't help, but just reading this helps me know I did the right thing.

Good luck with training!

Quote Reply
Re: Question for the ladies (gross girl stuff) [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's actually all Seasonale is-13 consecutive weeks of a pill that has been around for ages. About 50% of women get breakthrough" bleeding during the 13 weeks. The total blood loss should be less than off O/C's or cycling 3weeks on and 1 off. The longer women stick with this the less BTB they tend to get. Of course there are always exceptions. The inconvience is in the potentially unpredictable pattern. That 28 day cycle, incidently, is not magical or special it's just what the pharm companies developed because that's what most women are used to. There is really no reason why a woman can't go 5on/1 off, pick your ratio. Training advantage to O/C's=less blood loss and therefore potentially less anemia. Disadvantage=possibly lower testosterone levels though usually small.

If you fly remember to get up and walk to decrease the risk of blood clots.

FWIW

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you'll be fine! periods with the pill aren't even real periods...just something developed by male scientists to make women feel more "natural".
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the ladies (gross girl stuff) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! Too true! ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truthfully, I'm not sure why you would even go the back to back pill approach. I never found getting my period to be either a help or a hindrance. I had some of my best races the day before or the first day of - either way I never let it bother me. Then again, I've never been one to complain about PMS or any other of those kinds of issues. Not sure if I'm just lucky or what.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the ladies (gross girl stuff) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope that you are not serious about that comment. That is certainly far from the truth. My GF was looking at using the type of pill that gets rid of her period for months. She (we as I asked a fer OB/GYN that I work with) said that it was not a great idea and the pill is already messing with the body...it is best to let nature take its course (be it "natural" or allowed by hormones). The fact is when they say that a period is "clensing"...that is not that far off base.. I was told that women who used meds to delay their periods would be at a higher risk of quite a few things - the same risks mind you as the pill, just higher.

If you really think that men left the "period" in there for women you are insane...hell, if it was up to men all women would be on the long term pills...no PMS, no excuses for lack of sex, and no worries about my nice white sheets being stained (oops)....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the ladies (gross girl stuff) [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummm, your OB/GYN friend is mistaken or you misunderstood

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the ladies (gross girl stuff) [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also believe in natural methods. Taking drugs isn't great for the body. All most doctors = pill pushers. You are most likly poisoning the body. I wonder why there are such high rates of breast cancer these days. Here are my thoughts : Too much dying of hair, too much dry cleaner clothing being worn, too may pills.

Just my 2 cents.....I don't like drugs period.

Smitty
Quote Reply