Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

There are compact cranks
Quote | Reply
and then there are those guys who run a 56 tooth monster. Two guys I know use the BIG ring. One has started doing ITU races as a pro, the other is 50 years old, wins all the time. I looked at his cassette, 11-19. Good lord, how does he do it? He said the 11 is good for downhills. No kidding! I think all 9 gears and that big ring would be good for downhills (and not much else).

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: There are compact cranks [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a 56. Since I can still use the 39, it just gives me more range. I'm using 12-25 most days, but on flatter courses I'll run a tighter cluster. Screaming fast on downhills and no difference on flats. I wish I was a strong enough climber to run 11-21. I'll be running 11-23 at Santa Cruz, because there are no real hills. On the downhill out of Davenport I'll spin 130 rpm which works out to about 52 mph. That reels in the guys who passed me going up...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: There are compact cranks [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11-19t? who makes that? Is he running Campy 8 speed?

I don't think these guys run the 56t for the 56x11t combo, They see the value of having a straight chainline in the 56x14,15, and 16 tooth gears. Having a straight chainline would likely save more time that aero shoe covers or ceramic bearings.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: There are compact cranks [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing an 11-19. He told me, "56-11 is great for downhills." So, I know it's 11 on the small end. I have an 11-21 (that I rarely use). My 21 is bigger than his big gear. So, no I didn't count teeth, but it was an easily distinguishable difference. 19 would be the smallest it could possibly be, right?; without duplicating a gear. I've seen him ride and he spins that crank so slow... even uphill. Power, pure power.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply