Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lightening
Quote | Reply
particularly for those who're posting to various USAT nationals threads, the term in the subject header refers to (let us say) what you do to your bicycle to make it easier to pedal it uphill.

lightning (spelled with no "e" in it) is that electrical phenomenon characterized by lots of volts moving from one place to another, with the accompanying sound effects.

so, please, loose the "e" if that's what you're referring to, and i use the term "loose" losely.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lightening [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...it's not the volts that get ya', it's the amps.......

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you mean: Lightning (Google)

Dan, your grammatical concerns are archaic. All we have to do today is just get close. Its time to accept that and fall in line and quit beating down on the multitudes for careless spelling errors. What you need, after the submit button is pushed on a post, Dan, is that check Google does. If we just get close to spelling something right, it asks us: "hey, did you mean lightning?" And we can say, "yes, as a matter of fact, I did mean lightning, let's go with that..."
Quote Reply
Re: Lightening [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Dan, your grammatical concerns are archaic."

you may be right. but i was focusing on my spelling concerns today. i don't often share my grammatical concerns here, as the concepts would soar well beyond the capacity of many forum readers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the concepts would soar well beyond the capacity of many forum readers"

OUCH! Feeling a little testy today?

:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean like "capitalization?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of that electrical phenomenon, the storm I saw yesterday was the most magnificent I've ever witnessed. Up on HWY 18 I pulled over, along with about 20+ other cars to just stare in amazement. Couldn't hear any thunder, because it was off in the distance, but strikes were taking place at a rate of about one per 5-10 seconds. Incredible. It was somewhere north of the San Bernardino mountains. Some of the strikes seemed to connect the ground with the heavens for what must have seemed like an eternity for the life around the contact point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...soar well beyond..."

Wouldn't "soar well above" be better figurative usage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan, just lightning up, will ya!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, You should read the exotic beer article in todays NY Times. They talk of a distributer "holding bartender's balls" to increase brand awareness. I'm pretty sure that they meant bartenders balls (plural, not possessive). Of course their way would probably work too.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh, Dan--it's "lose" not "loose." ;^)
Quote Reply
Re: Lightening [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Uh, Dan--it's "lose" not "loose." ;^)"

read my post just a little... more... carefully, tri_bri!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

so, please, loose the "e" if that's what you're referring to, and i use the term "loose" losely.
I'm with Tri-bri on this one. Or maybe it's because I don't know the secret ST handshake.

Sure it's funny till somebody gets hurt...then it's hilarious.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightening [duathlete68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well you see. Its a play on words. he intentionally mispeelled the word loose, or was it lose. his point was that you loosers are always mispeelling loose, as lose, or was it the other way around?

lose: to get beat by another
loose: a term used to describe old french hookers

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Re: Lightening [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daang! Write over my HED!

Sure it's funny till somebody gets hurt...then it's hilarious.
Quote Reply
Re: Lightening [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a lexical, rather than grammatical, issue.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply