Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp tubular 404 trouble - what should I do?
Quote | Reply
I have a zipp tubular 404 rear wheel … I recently posted that I thought my seat stay was built wrong because my rear wheel was rubbing. Well after some measuring and doing some test like trying my rear wheel on another bike I realized it wasn’t my bike but instead it was the wheel which appears to have a larger diameter than a standard tubular 650 wheel. I used to have HED 3 wheels with 22mm tires and I never had this issue. I love my Zipps and I would hate to have to give them up. This creates a problem because I have been racing on them this year using tufo tires which turn out to be the only tires that aren’t 19mm that fit … well I don’t like the feel of tufo’s so I don’t want to have to ride them and I don’t feel comfortable using 19mm tires . I would just call Zipp and ask them about this but I don’t have my receipt for them since they are about a year old now and I cant even remember what store I got them from. I don’t know what to do … I don’t want to sell it because I feel like it would be horrible for someone else to have this issue because of me yet I cant afford to buy a new rear wheel. Should I write or call Zipp … do you think they would help me in anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp tubular 404 trouble - what should I do? [2fast4u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I cant even remember what store I got them from."

You really can't remember where you spent that much money? That's amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems very odd. I have Zipp 650's. If anything, the diameter is smaller than my training wheels, but not by enough to measure directly.

I don't think you have the problem identified correctly, but I would call Zipp. They are responsive and know their stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sure they aren't Ziph 404 wheels? They are a little known knock-off, and don't have great QC.

Just pullin you chain, i have no idea what could be wrong, unless you have horizontal drop-outs (maybe even with adjustment screws), and aren't setting the hub back far enough, good luck...

M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a frame issue to me. What bike are you riding?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp tubular 404 trouble - what should I do? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
custom guru ... but they rubbed on another bike too ... it is definetely the wheel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clinchers are smaller than tubulars. A 22mm clincher will have a smaller rollout than a 22mm tubular. It's cause the tire sits down in the clincher, and up on top on a tubular. That's one reason why a clincher might be less problematic.

Did they test it with a 22mm tire on a DIFFERENT tubular tire? I just thought of that...

They weren't any harder to mount than normal when I did them. Plus, the outer diameter is basically determined by the tire, not by the wheel. This is such a mystery to me...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the fact that you were able to mount your tires on the rim rules out any "wrong diameter" issues with the wheel.

It's virtually impossible for the diameter of a rim to vary signifigantly.

I'd be on the phone with guru, pissed that they made your custom frame with such a tight tolerance.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp tubular 404 trouble - what should I do? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i dont know ... they said they tried it ... this is so frustating!

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp tubular 404 trouble - what should I do? [ddhmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stays are actually made by Dedacci. It is the BlackTail (what a name...) carbon rear triangle. That is where it is hitting. So the issue must be with Dedacci if it is with anyone...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you take your bike down to a shop and try another rear wheel? You need to eliminate all the variables, like is the rear offset wrong for some strange reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp tubular 404 trouble - what should I do? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know .. the shop said they called them and its not that ...but of course they might just be trying to get me off their back ...who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp tubular 404 trouble - what should I do? [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes im going to do that as soon as i get back from my race this coming weekend ... i was just hoping to figure this out before the race. Im going to a different shop to see what they say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What? Shit, call Zipp...so far your thread looks like bullshit...you cant remember where you got your Zipps (hell, I can remember my virgin IM finish time but I sure as hell can tell you where I got my Zipps and most other items that are $2k for a toy).

Zipp will talk to you...you sure you didnt mount a Tufo Tubular Clincher on a Tubular rim....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp tubular 404 trouble - what should I do? [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im sure it was a tubular ...lol ... but its looking more and more like i need to go to a new bike shop and double check this whole thing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't feel bad about selling the wheels, there are plenty of frames out there that don't have a close tolerance for the back wheel like your frame, and will fit fine.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply