Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

who was right in this situation??
Quote | Reply
I raced today in a popular and large local Sprint. The race used a time trial start format, so racers were spread out all over the course, with no way of telling your relative position to others..

On th run I passed numerous people, and because I started early, was near the front and basically running solo with about 2 miles to go on the 5K....With a little less that 1 mile on the 5K run an athlete begins to pass me (the first to pass me all day)....I immediately lock onto his right side and whisper to myself that I'm going let this guy pace me in, since he is faster than me I figured he'd buy me some time...He heard me and immediately turns to me and says "don't try run with me...you cannot hang with me." I stayed with him as best I could...he eventually out ran me by about 15 seconds....I figured trying to run with him bought me about 15 - 20 seconds that I would not have gotten on my own....

He gave me a lot of looks after the race...

I'm not sure if he didn't want me "bothering" him on the run or is he knew he was a lot faster than me and was warning me to not try to hang because I might blow up.

I knew I wouldn't blow up beacuse I felt very good, the small distance left and I always close strong...

Was I right to try to hang with him, or was he right to tell me to back off...

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: who was right in this situation?? [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Screw him...you did the right thing.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you were absolutely right to use him as a carrot. I've done that plenty of times in races and net-ed myself a few seconds. I can't think of any reason for him to say that to you.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if this prick doesnt want you to run with him, its on him to run you off his ass. he didnt do that, so you had every right running with him.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares.

You are supposed to be racing your race, not worrying about someone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He doesn't have any right to run with open space behind him. He was trying to "Get in your head."

Its amazing the amount of self-righteous bravado and stupid shit coming out of some people's mouths doing these things I hear constantly. I wish I could say that they were 16 year olds, but quite a lot of the time, they are over 40 years old, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I basically thought I was right....I knew he was fatsre than me and I knew he'd out kick me in the end, but I felt he was buying me time....

He wasn't a young teenage punk, he was 32....

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course you did the right thing, just like you should purposefully look for a swimmer to draft off of. It is a race. He does sound like a bit of an ass in saying that. Hell, I've actually thanked racers (men and women alike) for giving me a target or pacing me to the line after the race. Most didn't even know it and usually take it as a compliment.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I immediately lock onto his right side and whisper to myself that I'm going let this guy pace me in, since he is faster than me I figured he'd buy me some time
Next time make it a mental thought and suprise 'em. ;-) It's a race. If you annoyed him that much and he was as fast as he thought, he could have just run you off his shoulder. Not a big deal. Way to stay with the smarty. As for the post-race thing, let him carry that with him and don't sweat it.

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you did the right thing. In a local 10k, a guy went by me at 4k and he looked good, the complete runner type. I hung on until about 1k and then went for broke. I beat him by a couple of steps. Before he could say anything, I thanked him for dragging my ass in. Got a smile and a "good job." Next time you may get your guy, you'll never know unless you do it.
Quote Reply